IGNORED

The Final : Attack on Wembley

• Admin

Has anyone else watched the Netflix documentary about the Euro final against Italy?

I knew it was bad what went on in and around Wembley Stadium that day, but blimey what an eye opener it was watching this

Fortunately this kind of action was a one off that day

• Thanks 3

I went to the semi final, things were pretty bad with drunkenness on a huge scale, people vomiting and urinating everywhere you looked. This was at 5pm on a work day, so 3 hours before kick off.

The final was a disaster waiting to happen, a 2 o’clock kick off time would have been great but was never going to happen.

It struck me at the semi final, seeing people completely off their heads, some collapsed, some staggering around being sick, this was going to be one of the biggest sporting events of their lives, something they could remember and talk about until the day they die and they were lucky enough to have tickets, in most cases. Yet they were happy to miss it or have no memory of it and get off their heads all day instead. Weird.

I look forward to seeing this documentary.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ralphindevon said:

I went to the semi final, things were pretty bad with drunkenness on a huge scale, people vomiting and urinating everywhere you looked. This was at 5pm on a work day, so 3 hours before kick off.

The final was a disaster waiting to happen, a 2 o’clock kick off time would have been great but was never going to happen.

It struck me at the semi final, seeing people completely off their heads, some collapsed, some staggering around being sick, this was going to be one of the biggest sporting events of their lives, something they could remember and talk about until the day they die and they were lucky enough to have tickets, in most cases. Yet they were happy to miss it or have no memory of it and get off their heads all day instead. Weird.

Sounds a bit like having to watch city ralph..... 

• Hmmm 1

The problem was idiots seeing that there was reduced capacity, thinking I can get in and hide in the empty seats.

Sadly there are so many idiots that it was chaos .
You shouldn't have been able to get near the stadium without tickets . let alone get in . 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

At the time I would have given anything to have been there with my then-10 year old. In hindsight, a bullet dodged.

We have some absolute morons in our country.

Yep, and while they are always rightly described as a minority, it's a much bigger minority than anyone ever seems to want to admit.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ralphindevon said:

For a bit of balance, I went to the Semi Final and saw none of this. I think we got there mid afternoon as we had the day off.

Will remain with me as one of the best games of my life, atmosphere was incredible that day even with reduced capacity. Shows that Wembley can still be special when the fans want to make a noise.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

For a bit of balance, I went to the Semi Final and saw none of this. I think we got there mid afternoon as we had the day off.

Will remain with me as one of the best games of my life, atmosphere was incredible that day even with reduced capacity. Shows that Wembley can still be special when the fans want to make a noise.

Yes to be fair it was an incredible day and I thoroughly enjoyed myself, I should have said that in my post. Especially as it was the first big event after Covid restrictions.

I just saw so many lads that were no way making it to the game or if they did probably wouldn’t enjoy it or remember it which I found so sad.

And of course the final, which I tried desperately to get tickets for but thankfully failed, was a whole lot worse apparently. Those I know who did get tickets didn’t enjoy it and all got a real bad dose of Covid. 

• Like 1

I was at the final , was very messy down on Wembley way hours before. Will have a watch of this special thanks for the heads up 

a lot of the trouble on Wembley way seemed to be from teens / younger groups who didn’t have  tickets . It seemed to clear up a bit in the hour or two pre kick off, as I presume they all (well most), started to depart to watch game on telly somewhere 

thankfully I didn’t see many Italian fans come down much before that as they would have got a lot of underserved grief a imagine. In the last hour or so they started to turn up in numbers and far less toxic atmos on Wembley way then where I was .

didnt really see any of the gate rushing or anything heard about it in 2nd half 

• Like 2

I went to the final, absolute s*it show, it was obvious that things were going to go tits up very early on, arrived at 2, took one look from the bridge by the tube and walked back into the town to get away from it for as long as possible....the carnage was beyond description, got in early and avoided much of the really bad stuff - even at 5:30 groups were breaking through the security cordon and running the security staff ragged.....walked back up empire way after the match on smashed glass..the smell of piss was very apparent. Who ever was in charge of planning should have been shot out of a cannon...National embarrassment !

• Like 1

I think what really bothers me is how so many people felt entitled to be there and entitled to enter the ground for free whilst putting the safety of ticket holders in huge jeopardy. 

The two guys on the show, even after all this time, even after the event knowing all the facts, still came across as extremely proud of their actions that day. They don't care that they put peoples lives at risk. They just cared about their own selfish need to be there despite having no right to be there. 

Their actions that day ruined what should have been an amazing day for those who had tickets. No one should go to a football game and fear for their lives. 

These 'people' had the opportunity to buy tickets but didn't. Suck it up. 

It is an absolute miracle that no one was killed that day. 

• Like 5

I went to both semi finals and the difference in behaviours was apparent. You can see why some Europeans hate the English drinking culture. Italy v Spain was very good natured, fans mixing, having a good time - a genuine party. The England v Denmark game was on another level inside and outside of the stadium and just had that edge to it that you can feel at a derby game or when you're playing Millwall or Cardiff. Like it would only take a spark and the whole place would go up. I know numbers wise there were FAR more England fans in attendance than any of the other teams with it being a home tournament at that point but it was madness. I hate this beer throwing thing that seems to be part of it now and I reckon I probably showered in £300 worth of Carlsberg that day (Wembley prices). Being at the game itself was incredible but there was a real sense of people blowing off steam post covid. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Dredd said:

I went to both semi finals and the difference in behaviours was apparent. You can see why some Europeans hate the English drinking culture. Italy v Spain was very good natured, fans mixing, having a good time - a genuine party. The England v Denmark game was on another level inside and outside of the stadium and just had that edge to it that you can feel at a derby game or when you're playing Millwall or Cardiff. Like it would only take a spark and the whole place would go up. I know numbers wise there were FAR more England fans in attendance than any of the other teams with it being a home tournament at that point but it was madness. I hate this beer throwing thing that seems to be part of it now and I reckon I probably showered in £300 worth of Carlsberg that day (Wembley prices). Being at the game itself was incredible but there was a real sense of people blowing off steam post covid. 

Unfortunately I think most of the problems was fueled by a combination of alcohol and drugs. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Unfortunately I think most of the problems was fueled by a combination of alcohol and drugs. 

Agreed, and being away for the best part of 18 months with lockdowns. We've certainly seen that spill into domestic games since then (although seems to be getting better than it was in that first season back)

I'm sure drug use has always been a thing at the football, and generally in English nightlife but it does seem so much more blatent post-covid. Went to Cheltenham this year and people weren't even trying to hide it, just walking down the street doing keys out the bag.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

The two guys on the show, even after all this time, even after the event knowing all the facts, still came across as extremely proud of their actions that day. 

And making excuses to justify their actions like Boris partying during covid which nobody was yet aware of at the time 

Its people like that who are partly responsible for why countries like Germany, USA, Mexico have hosted multiple World Cup finals since the one occasion that we did 

Edited by East Londoner
  • Like 7

• Admin
3 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

The problem was idiots seeing that there was reduced capacity, thinking I can get in and hide in the empty seats.

Interesting point, I wouldn't even think of being able to get into AG8 without a ticket, and especially not Wembley

2 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Yep, and while they are always rightly described as a minority, it's a much bigger minority than anyone ever seems to want to admit.

It is an eye opener in this documentary how many were there causing problems

2 hours ago, internetjef said:

thankfully I didn’t see many Italian fans come down much before that as they would have got a lot of underserved grief a imagine. In the last hour or so they started to turn up in numbers and far less toxic atmos on Wembley way then where I was .

This documentary follows the story of an Italian father and daughter who were there, whilst he puts a brave face on their experiences, I am sure it impacted them both more at the time

1 hour ago, adamski said:

.....walked back up empire way after the match ...

I'm glad someone got the name correct, it is one of those OCD things that bugs me that people always seem to refer to it as Wembley Way

56 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

This fact was highlighted, and shows how open many people were that day too

44 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Agreed, and being away for the best part of 18 months with lockdowns. We've certainly seen that spill into domestic games since then (although seems to be getting better than it was in that first season back)

As mentioned, it was the "perfect storm" that oddly seemed to catch so many in authority unaware. 

Though reading the above of people at the semi final maybe I am being unfair about that, and they did mention the police etc were due to work from 3pm and got caught out by people not congregating in central London

22 minutes ago, East Londoner said:

And making excuses to justify their actions like Boris partying during covid which nobody was yet aware of at the time 

Its people like that who are partly responsible for why countries like Germany, USA, Mexico have hosted multiple World Cup finals since the one occasion that we did 

Thought that a very random thing to mention

It was the one lad who mentioned his stomach dropping the next day when he saw footage of where he was and the report stating those identified would be prosecuted... it will be interesting to see if he gets a tap on the shoulder now his face is on this documentary

1 hour ago, Dredd said:

The Italians are no saints’ how many English club fans have been stabbed watching their team at a Italian away game in Europe 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, Dredd said:

I’d hardly call 2pints getting showered,a bit damp maybe.

• Haha 4

• Admin
7 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

Empire Way and Olympic Way (commonly referred to as Wembley Way) are two different locations. 

Indeed they are

My point was people call Olympic Way - Wembley Way for some reason

12 minutes ago, phantom said:

Indeed they are

My point was people call Olympic Way - Wembley Way for some reason

Fair shout , I hadn’t realised this. 

was it ever called Wembley way? Like back at the old stadium? 

no idea where I got it from otherwise 

I was at the final and it was grim. Among the memories to forget, walking/wading up Wembley way and the rubbish- cans, bottles- coming up to my calves and the unbelievable, overpowering cannabis cloud that shrouded our block for almost the entire match. Official report, which concluded that 2000 had got in without tickets, was a farce- it was at least ten times that.

• Like 1

I would add that it’s obviously some- meaning a certain type of entitled -England fans that are the problem. For Croatia, the first game, only 20,000 allowed- basically the ESTC hard core. Strange but brilliant - sunny, had to be in hours before kick off, allowed to drink gallons of lager, but bouncing and good natured. Germany- 40,000- was one of the best games I’ve ever attended. Half empty but absolutely rocking- drinking but great atmosphere with the German fans. The wheels only began to fall off in the semis, when the gatecrashing brigade started to emerge.

1 hour ago, Bedred31 said:

I would add that it’s obviously some- meaning a certain type of entitled -England fans that are the problem. For Croatia, the first game, only 20,000 allowed- basically the ESTC hard core. Strange but brilliant - sunny, had to be in hours before kick off, allowed to drink gallons of lager, but bouncing and good natured. Germany- 40,000- was one of the best games I’ve ever attended. Half empty but absolutely rocking- drinking but great atmosphere with the German fans. The wheels only began to fall off in the semis, when the gatecrashing brigade started to emerge.

Totally agree with what you say 

the semis were great but I started to hear rumours people were getting in with out a ticket , now that must have spread like wild fire on social media. Come final day as people said in previous posts was absolute chaos the problems were 

A unlike other tournaments it’s hard to put a ring of steel around Wembley du to it being built up all around 

B not running at full capacity people knew if they got in there would be spare seats to sit 

C I would say a large majority outside trying to get in were probably not members of the England supporters club not any domestic club team so what are they going a banning order from if caught? They had nothing to lose 

Unfortunately with Germany just around the corner we will be seeing the same headlines or similar on tv and in the papers (hopefully I’m wrong)with English fans playing up again 

• Admin
3 hours ago, internetjef said:

Fair shout , I hadn’t realised this. 

was it ever called Wembley way? Like back at the old stadium? 

no idea where I got it from otherwise 

I'm not sure 

I only know because someone pointed it out to me many years ago