IGNORED

The Final : Attack on Wembley

1 hour ago, sticks 1969 said:

Totally agree with what you say 

the semis were great but I started to hear rumours people were getting in with out a ticket , now that must have spread like wild fire on social media. Come final day as people said in previous posts was absolute chaos the problems were 

A unlike other tournaments it’s hard to put a ring of steel around Wembley du to it being built up all around 

B not running at full capacity people knew if they got in there would be spare seats to sit 

C I would say a large majority outside trying to get in were probably not members of the England supporters club not any domestic club team so what are they going a banning order from if caught? They had nothing to lose 

Unfortunately with Germany just around the corner we will be seeing the same headlines or similar on tv and in the papers (hopefully I’m wrong)with English fans playing up again 

The thing is though sticks and you know better than most from your experience of watching England , it’s not reallyEngland fans now is it , not even hooligans,  it seems more like lads in town on a Saturday night or a lads weekend away in Benidorm it’s all a bit of a jolly for them . 
any of the easy places to get Netherlands , Germany , Spain , Portugal they will be there in there droves 

Macedonia, Belarus , Turkey , Greece  then you get the true England-fans back again 

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

A few observations…

Firstly, I’m glad those who gained entry illegally and dangerously never got to witness England win.

Secondly, I hope fifa never award England a final again. The few have spoiled it for the rest.

Thirdly, some people are just scum!

The UK are hosting the 2028 Euros

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, formerly known as ivan said:

A few observations…

Firstly, I’m glad those who gained entry illegally and dangerously never got to witness England win.

Secondly, I hope fifa never award England a final again. The few have spoiled it for the rest.

That’s the spirit - let’s punish the hundreds and thousands who behave and enjoy the occasion because of a number of drunken *********

• Like 4

1 hour ago, redkev said:

The thing is though sticks and you know better than most from your experience of watching England , it’s not reallyEngland fans now is it , not even hooligans,  it seems more like lads in town on a Saturday night or a lads weekend away in Benidorm it’s all a bit of a jolly for them . 
any of the easy places to get Netherlands , Germany , Spain , Portugal they will be there in there droves 

Macedonia, Belarus , Turkey , Greece  then you get the true England-fans back again 

I very much doubt if these people even regularly follow a club team. Didn't one of them say they are a Man Utd fan? 

One of them spoke about jibbing and that very much gave the impression this wasn't his first jib. 

I remember I went through the turnstile and went to scan my ticket and then I immediately had a stranger push tightly into the back of me and basically went through the gate with me. I was absolutely furious with them because had it of been well managed I could well have been kicked out through no fault of my own. Didn't the guy mention in the doc that this happened to a ticket holder? 

These people clearly knew what they were doing. 

These people risked genuine ticket holders lives in order to have a good time. 

It should have been one of the best occasions of my life. Instead I felt relieved to have not died. That's not being dramatic either. Thousands and thousands of glass bottles were being thrown in the air for fun and fireworks let off. It is an actual miracle that no one died. 

I've not returned to Wembley since because in some ways I'm still traumatised by it. Watching the documentary was an extremely difficult watch. I knew I was in danger on the day, I felt in danger, I felt as if my life was at risk but its only since the event and particularly watching this documentary do I now realise how much danger I was actually in. 

I took beers with me etc but as soon as I arrived at Wembley (around 1pm) I took the decision that it would not be wise for me to have a few beers as I needed to protect myself. I missed out on all the pushing etc as I wisely took the decision to stay by the steps and enter as soon as I was allowed. 

However once I passed the steps and got round to my entry point the stadium was locked down so had to wait ages to be able to enter the stadium. 

No one should ever go to a football game and fear that they may not return home to their families. 

Even to this day I don't ever recall seeing an apology from the fa or Uefa which just about sums the whole day up. 

18 hours ago, phantom said:

Has anyone else watched the Netflix documentary about the Euro final against Italy?

I knew it was bad what went on in and around Wembley Stadium that day, but blimey what an eye opener it was watching this

Fortunately this kind of action was a one off that day

I do not have netflix. Is there a way  to stream this programme?

Thank you 

10 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

A few observations…

Unfortunately you are correct.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, redkev said:

I am just so depressed that a growing number of our society seem to have no personal pride, no morale compass, no sense of right and wrong and the "I was off my head" excuse seems to make everything Ok.

We are an embarrassment abroad. I regularly fly for work and you see groups of people 3 or 4 pints in at 6am just about to board a flight. It seems that many cannot consider having a good time without being hammered or construct a sentence without at least 2, 4 letter words even when families with kids are close by.

When you see the videos from Ibiza, Majorca, Cyprus etc it seems like people forget any idea of decency. Girls are laying in the road drunk, half undressed and then wonder why things don't go well for them later on.

I would like to see a new law of bringing your country into disrepute. In this way when people play up on flights or generally disgrace us on holiday the local police can ship them home to get a huge fine and a long period of working clearing up the mess they make.

We have always had people who behave badly but numbers are growing too much.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1
  • Facepalm 2

18 hours ago, Glen hump said:

The Italians are no saints’ how many English club fans have been stabbed watching their team at a Italian away game in Europe 

I'm not saying they are, just conveying my personal experience of the two games

• Like 1

Watched it last night . Had forgotten just how bad the scenes were on Olympic way. Remember now we saw some kids chucking glass bottles as far as they could just ‘into the crowd’, for no reason whatsoever. Shocking. Amazing more people weren’t badly injured . 

• Sad 1

Watched it tonight, bloody hell!

Apart from massively upping the security and making the first security zone bigger (if that's even possible), I'm not sure how this could have been avoided. If that many people are determined to get in by any means and alcohol/ drug fuelled, the police should have been involved much earlier but that may have made it even worse!

Having now watched the programme I was struck by the number of excuses those with the power to take action made….. Basically, they did nothing for around 4-5 hours, when it was obvious what was going to happen…… In short, the whole thing was a demonstration of piss poor event planning, communication and reactive management by the FA, Brent council and the police…… but not an excuse for the behaviour of the largest congregation of entitled bell ends ever seen …..two national disgraces for the price of one!

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Girls are laying in the road drunk, half undressed and then wonder why things don't go well for them later on.

Generally I agree with the points raised in your comment - people do seem less able to control themselves drinking nowadays.

However, this line I find somewhat troubling - the onus is on men to do better/be better rather than blaming women for getting in to compromising positions. This may not have been what you meant, and apologies if so.

But yes, generally speaking the Euros final showed the worst of our society and drug/drink plays a large part.

Edited by devoncider
  • Like 10

9 minutes ago, devoncider said:

Generally I agree with the points raised in your comment - people do seem less able to control themselves drinking nowadays.

However, this line I find somewhat troubling - the onus is on men to do better/be better rather than blaming women for getting in to compromising positions. This may not have been what you meant, and apologies if so.

But yes, generally speaking the Euros final showed the worst of our society and drug/drink plays a large part.

I do think women need to take responsibility for their actions too though, that isn't abdicating responsibility of men.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I do think women need to take responsibility for their actions too though, that isn't abdicating responsibility of men.

To a certain extent, yes.

I still believe that as men we should hold other men accountable and educate future generations etc.

• Like 5

21 hours ago, internetjef said:

Watched it last night . Had forgotten just how bad the scenes were on Olympic way. Remember now we saw some kids chucking glass bottles as far as they could just ‘into the crowd’, for no reason whatsoever. Shocking. Amazing more people weren’t badly injured . 

Yep, saw the same thing more or less. I was walking up those steps (ironically the back of my head was on a BBC report), a lad finished a bottle of beer and just launched it as far as he could (about 10ft over my head upon it's journey through the air) into a huge crowd of people packed in tightly. I didnt see where the bottle ended up as I was walking up the steps and it ended up behind me.

One of many things from that day which were just barbaric, stupid. This bottle throwing incident, wasn't the worst thing I saw.

Can't be many thicker people than that Essex lad. Absolute bunch of entitled knobheads. And that Man Utd 'fan' from ****ing Shropshire who believed he deserved to get into that match more than anyone else. Really wouldn't surprise me if that was his first England game tbh.

95% of football fans are sound, and I don't mean that you have to be quiet and considered when I say that, rowdiness is great for an atmosphere. But then that small lot that are left behind just go too far and really are the worst people our country has to offer.

Edited by nebristolred
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, adamski said:

Having now watched the programme I was struck by the number of excuses those with the power to take action made….. Basically, they did nothing for around 4-5 hours, when it was obvious what was going to happen…… In short, the whole thing was a demonstration of piss poor event planning, communication and reactive management by the FA, Brent council and the police…… but not an excuse for the behaviour of the largest congregation of entitled bell ends ever seen …..two national disgraces for the price of one!

It amazed me that, even after people were pinned down and could easily have died, the bloke with the tattoo on his neck, said he would do the same again and didn't regret his actions.

Absolute scum with no thought for anyone but himself.

• Like 2

There is now zero tolerance to street drinking all around the stadium now. The Police/security are very strict on this and will seize any alcohol without exception. I've seen it.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, devoncider said:

To a certain extent, yes.

I still believe that as men we should hold other men accountable and educate future generations etc.

Yes of course but women need to be responsible in their actions too. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, RedM said:

There is now zero tolerance to street drinking all around the stadium now. The Police/security are very strict on this and will seize any alcohol without exception. I've seen it.

Wouldn't that just move the problem further away from the stadium RM?

Access to the immediate area needs to be governed more strongly. If you haven't got a ticket, you don't get anywhere near Wembley. How they enforce that, I've no idea.

I was genuinely shocked at the program TBH, a sad indictment on the morals of people nowadays. :(

14 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Wouldn't that just move the problem further away from the stadium RM?

I'm not saying it wouldn't have happened, but definitely being in the vicinity and sight of the stadium will have exacerbated things I would imagine. Part of the problem was the fact that fans really believed they could do it - if there was an outer circle with heavier security further from the stadium, I would've thought a lot of the idiots would have given up earlier on.

• Like 1

On 08/05/2024 at 15:59, phantom said:

Interesting point, I wouldn't even think of being able to get into AG8 without a ticket, and especially not Wembley

It is an eye opener in this documentary how many were there causing problems

This documentary follows the story of an Italian father and daughter who were there, whilst he puts a brave face on their experiences, I am sure it impacted them both more at the time

I'm glad someone got the name correct, it is one of those OCD things that bugs me that people always seem to refer to it as Wembley Way

This fact was highlighted, and shows how open many people were that day too

As mentioned, it was the "perfect storm" that oddly seemed to catch so many in authority unaware. 

Though reading the above of people at the semi final maybe I am being unfair about that, and they did mention the police etc were due to work from 3pm and got caught out by people not congregating in central London

Thought that a very random thing to mention

It was the one lad who mentioned his stomach dropping the next day when he saw footage of where he was and the report stating those identified would be prosecuted... it will be interesting to see if he gets a tap on the shoulder now his face is on this documentary

I thought the route many refer to was Wembley Way is actually Olympic Way?

I actually watched the doc that night after reading this thread, they did say that all earlier issues had occured in central (and that matches up with what I saw for Germany which I watched in central, and lack of trouble I personally saw for the Semis outside Wembley)

It also seems like they were caught unaware by just how early people got to Wembley on the day. Naive maybe - but they'd have took pelters if they'd stacked out Wembley and it kicked off somewhere centrally. Lets also not forget they were probably on high alert for terrorism and other non-football threats around that event.

Once the crowds had grown outside the arena I think they were limited with what they could do.

On 08/05/2024 at 19:06, sticks 1969 said:

Totally agree with what you say 

the semis were great but I started to hear rumours people were getting in with out a ticket , now that must have spread like wild fire on social media. Come final day as people said in previous posts was absolute chaos the problems were 

A unlike other tournaments it’s hard to put a ring of steel around Wembley du to it being built up all around 

B not running at full capacity people knew if they got in there would be spare seats to sit 

C I would say a large majority outside trying to get in were probably not members of the England supporters club not any domestic club team so what are they going a banning order from if caught? They had nothing to lose 

Unfortunately with Germany just around the corner we will be seeing the same headlines or similar on tv and in the papers (hopefully I’m wrong)with English fans playing up again 

I thought that from the doc, and obviously being there many times. There's nowhere you can really start to block off access and set up cordons. AS I said above once everyone was on Wembley Way they were really stuck and it was damage limitations.

I'm sure they can still ban people even if they aren't a an ESTC member?

What gets me is the sense of entitlement with some of these people.  The Shropshire Man Utd fan interviewed extensively said he HAD to be there.  No, you don't.  The people that bought tickets were entitled to be there, but you weren't.  

Also, when did it be ok to get so absolutely smashed out of your head that you have no idea what you're doing or what's happening?  In my day you had be the able to 'hold' your drink and getting wasted meant you'd get no end of stick for being a lightweight.  Holding your drink was a badge of honour.  Now it seems like it's the other way round.

• Like 6