IGNORED

The Final : Attack on Wembley

On 08/05/2024 at 21:41, formerly known as ivan said:

A few observations…

Firstly, I’m glad those who gained entry illegally and dangerously never got to witness England win.

Secondly, I hope fifa never award England a final again. The few have spoiled it for the rest.

Thirdly, some people are just scum!

It was a UEFA competition not FIFA, and not only are we hosting the Champions League final this year, we're hosting Euro 2028!

21 minutes ago, Red Skin said:

What gets me is the sense of entitlement with some of these people.  The Shropshire Man Utd fan interviewed extensively said he HAD to be there.  No, you don't.  The people that bought tickets were entitled to be there, but you weren't.  

Also, when did it be ok to get so absolutely smashed out of your head that you have no idea what you're doing or what's happening?  In my day you had be the able to 'hold' your drink and getting wasted meant you'd get no end of stick for being a lightweight.  Holding your drink was a badge of honour.  Now it seems like it's the other way round.

I think what's sad is that it's likely genuine ticket holders didn't manage to make it in or missed part of the game etc because of these idiots. 

If this guy felt like he had to be there, he had the chance to be there by buying tickets. I'm not in any club etc. I just went on the uefa site when it looked likely we'd get to the final and easily purchased tickets. I believe there were other sales windows after that too. So he had the opportunity.

What baffles me is that despite all the evidence of these people commiting illegal acts and then admitting on camera they did so, they were not convicted of anything and that's why they will just continue to act like this. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, nebristolred said:

Can't be many thicker people than that Essex lad.

I personally think you underestimate. Apart from sounding thick, I'd say he displayed pretty typical behaviours from a lot of people these days. The end of the programme when he was saying how proud he was of standing on the bus, and how the photo will be shown to his children etc. Summed it all up for me. No respect, and totally entitled & oblivious.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

• Admin
3 hours ago, MarcusX said:

It was a UEFA competition not FIFA, and not only are we hosting the Champions League final this year, we're hosting Euro 2028!

Fortunately neither matches will end up the same way

5 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Wouldn't that just move the problem further away from the stadium RM?

Access to the immediate area needs to be governed more strongly. If you haven't got a ticket, you don't get anywhere near Wembley. How they enforce that, I've no idea.

I was genuinely shocked at the program TBH, a sad indictment on the morals of people nowadays. :(

You are encouraged to go to official pubs and fan parks around the area, eg Boxpark is designated to one team and you have to show a match ticket or you don't get in. Oddly enough there is a lidl just a few yards off Olympic Way. I don't know what measures are in place to stop people buying booze and drinking it there, but I did notice there are gates that can be locked on match days so you can't walk back out onto Olympic Way. 

The area around Wembley stadium is now very built up, loads of residential and student flats. I was amazed how many people were just wandering around, shopping and eating on a match day. it's certainly not just football fans on a matchday anymore.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RedM said:

You are encouraged to go to official pubs and fan parks around the area, eg Boxpark is designated to one team and you have to show a match ticket or you don't get in. Oddly enough there is a lidl just a few yards off Olympic Way. I don't know what measures are in place to stop people buying booze and drinking it there, but I did notice there are gates that can be locked on match days so you can't walk back out onto Olympic Way. 

The area around Wembley stadium is now very built up, loads of residential and student flats. I was amazed how many people were just wandering around, shopping and eating on a match day. it's certainly not just football fans on a matchday anymore.

I've been there on a non match day too and you'd be forgiven for thinking it was a match day by how busy the area is with residents etc. It's a really vibrant place. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RedM said:

My office is right by Middlesex hospital so I've seen the regeneration first hand.

If a wider cordon was suggested, I don't see any way to police it, with the new builds everywhere. It's a right headache but there has to be a way to avoid this vile instance happening again.

I must say, the Italian guy was either very naive or extremely brave!

• Like 1

Just watched it - I had no idea that it was so chaotic.
It was all over the media that there had been problems at Wembley and blaming ticketless fans. In fact although they were a huge factor that wasn’t the only problem.

The police messed up by wrongly assuming that central London would be where fans congregated and consequently too few were at hand when the stadium was stormed. It was very fortunate that nobody was seriously hurt.

It was difficult watching the penalty shoot out tho………:sad26:

• Sad 1

Watched it tonight. I do wonder about the mentality of people. I go to football to watch and support my team. Wear colours - fine. Dressing up as the Queen? Bit weird. Climbing on a bus and proclaiming it as the greatest moment of your life? Even odder (you haven’t invented penicillin mate). Coming down from Shropshire, rushing the gates and inciting trouble, but “doing a forward roll so I didn’t hurt people”. Delusional. Going on a documentary which assumedly advertised “arseholes wanted” for five minutes of fame but a permanent record of being a *****? Totally bizarre.

Arseholes. To a man. But no sense they are.

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Watched it tonight. I do wonder about the mentality of people. I go to football to watch and support my team. Wear colours - fine. Dressing up as the Queen? Bit weird. Climbing on a bus and proclaiming it as the greatest moment of your life? Even odder (you haven’t invented penicillin mate). Coming down from Shropshire, rushing the gates and inciting trouble, but “doing a forward roll so I didn’t hurt people”. Delusional. Going on a documentary which assumedly advertised “arseholes wanted” for five minutes of fame but a permanent record of being a *****? Totally bizarre.

Arseholes. To a man. But no sense they are.

Yep but unfortunately it’s a British or more specifically an English trait that largely younger guys fuelled up with booze and cocaine behave in such a dim witted manner.

it really was extremely fortunate that no one was seriously hurt

• Admin
5 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I've been there on a non match day too and you'd be forgiven for thinking it was a match day by how busy the area is with residents etc. It's a really vibrant place. 

The Healthcare part of my company used to have a regional office on the left as you come down the steps from the tube station 

Can remember the area being like a ghost town on non match days. Ironically the only time you'd see people was when the Fountain TV studios were being used for X factor etc 

I went back to Wembley the day after the recent Brazil game (stadium tour), my partner was delighted with the shopping area and I was surprised how busy it was 

On 08/05/2024 at 19:20, ChippenhamRed said:

At the time I would have given anything to have been there with my then-10 year old. In hindsight, a bullet dodged.

We have some absolute morons in our country.

The way you behave on here, I’d say that you’re one of them. You're a father as well…… :(

Edited by Wanderingred
  • Confused 1

Not sure there’s much deterrent for bad behaviour of this type, and that’s been true for decades.

We’ve also had similar in Bristol.  There was a Euros/World cup shown on a big street in Queens Square in the naughties….guess what happened? 

Theres an easy solution to a lot of these alcohol fuelled problems - ban the sale of cheap booze. Curb the type of shops that can sell alcohol, or at least limit the alcohol % some can.

3 hours ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Theres an easy solution to a lot of these alcohol fuelled problems - ban the sale of cheap booze. Curb the type of shops that can sell alcohol, or at least limit the alcohol % some can.

I was at the final. I don’t think alcohol was the only (or even the main) substance many people were taking to fuel the misadventure that day. 

• Like 1

Although there was some focus on it, what I found surprising was the lack of suggestion that the actions were in part people adapting to coming out of the pandemic and their inabilities to understand that the we didn't have a God given right to everything that we wanted when we wanted it.

Even when you consider that there is a tabloid media view that England should win every tournament they enter, July 2021 just seemed like the perfect storm of Covid freedom coupled with a growing belief that England could possibly win the tournament (although, let's be fair, Italy were the better team across the whole tournament.)  

I found going back to Ashton Gate that August really unpleasant as there were a lot of people doing too many substances and hard.  My son had dog's abuse for still wearing a mask that season at the ground (his Mum had breast cancer) from some coked up/pissed bell ends.  Was that due to Boris partying at Number 10 (as the documentary suggested).  I'm not sure it was then as the story was yet to break.  But I do think it was due to loads of people going "I've been cooped up for too long: I'm going to do what the hell I like.  Wembley was a result...in part...

• Like 3

I've not seen an England game since Wembley was built. Used to go quite frequently as a friend of mine and his brother had FA memberships or whatever it was at the time. I went to the first two matches of the euro 2008 qualifying matches that were at old Trafford. (((The 0-0 draw with Macedonia *shudder*))) . On train on the way up for both games, it was clear numerous fans were all on Lord knows what as well as knocking back loads of cans of booze. They were rude and obnoxious to other passengers, utterly disgraceful. Proper eye opener as despite my years of following city home and away, never noticed it. But with England, seems a whole new fan base come out. Could just be I've always been lucky (or unlucky) 

On 09/05/2024 at 12:40, internetjef said:

Watched it last night . Had forgotten just how bad the scenes were on Olympic way. Remember now we saw some kids chucking glass bottles as far as they could just ‘into the crowd’, for no reason whatsoever. Shocking. Amazing more people weren’t badly injured . 

Wembley is a nightmare to police because

It is badly served by public transport

Becomes gridlocked if you try to come by car or coach

Is right in the middle of a commercial and residential area making it hard to have any sort of restrictions like only selling light beer.

Has almost everyone arriving and leaving down one wide road (a terrorists dream)

This stadium should have been in the centre of the country next to the NEC where links by road rail and air are excellent. As this area is fairly isolated it would be far easier to police and create special conditions.

• Like 1