IGNORED

Ten young ‘uns sign pro contracts

30 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Burns, Bryan, Reid - all had their first season with over 10 games (started) under Cotts, iirc.

Aside from that I can't recall any academy players who got anywhere near first team contention besides Morrell.

Vaguely recall the likes of Kevin Krans ending up somewhere in the Swedish lower leagues.

@Robbored

The three mentioned above were all part of the plan for 14/15 under Cotts…and with a small squad.

• Thanks 2

On 11/05/2024 at 06:57, RollsRoyce said:

Wishing all of them the greatest success. Manning will not play one minute of first team football with any of them. The pathway is no longer real. 

Meerholz and Nelson have already been in the squad, so that makes you look quite silly already

On 11/05/2024 at 09:22, Robbored said:

The pathway under Cotterill was almost lost. I don’t remember him ever giving an academy graduate his debut and partly why his was sacked.

Nige had to utilise the academy because of injuries and it’s debatable whether he would have done so if a fit squad was available.

Many managers are hesitant to give young players an opportunity. They see it a risk as they’re not sure if the youngster will make the step up. 

I remember LJ introducing Semenyo to the first team squad including travelling away simply to get the experience of the lifestyle of a first teamer and after a slow start AS developed into a PL quality player.

I seriously doubt that Manning is any different to lots of other managers but it doesn’t mean that the pathway isn’t there.

It’s all about timing IMHO. If we have 10 very good young players that have proved they are worthy of a contract because they have excelled at the level last year then over the next 1-2 years we and the club should expect at least 4-5 to make a breakthrough to the first team squad. If one or two excel and warrant a first team place then I trust the club to make that happen as it did for Bryan, Reid, Semenyo & Scott. Bringing in youngsters such as Murphy & Stokes is just another avenue to seek quality players before they become too expensive and these two look technically & physically capable but still a big step up which I am sure bathe club will manage correctly