IGNORED

Retro TV at school

20 minutes ago, phantom said:

The space was indeed originally for a screen, no idea about the roof theory, but this is bigger than what would have fitted originally 

Nothing they do anymore surprises me 

Oh that's disappointing.....

I was hoping to see that's they'd ordered, paid (via Klarna, obviously not all in 1 go) & then taken delivery of it - before they realised it was too big for the space they had for it.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

That takes me back! The old school wheel-in telly!

Ours was in a big wooden cabinet with foldback doors.

I'm sure we had to tune in to 'programmes for schools' or something on the beeb.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

I can't see any issue with this not being passed, I've seen the TV screen they are using it won't affect the local residents too much

Colin Dunlap on X: "remember in school on holiday weeks like this when the  teacher would wheel a TV strapped to a cart into the room and just be like,  “screw it,

do you remember the  'whos a clever little sony then' vcrs?  those cantilever things were hilarious

2 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

The Boy From Space was terrifying.

Oh boy, takes me back. Poorly on the settee with a bottle of Lucozade watching Look and Read, Words and Pictures, Watch, ZigZag, Maths File, Music Time, Search Out Science, Geography File, then a break for lunch with Mr. Benn, Cockleshell Bay (had to change channel for that one), then early afternoon you had a few more progs before Beat the Teacher, Grange Hill et Al came on.

I learned more watching those when I had chicken pox and mumps than I did at school. 🤣

• Haha 1
  • Flames 1

13 hours ago, WessexPest said:

Oh boy, takes me back. Poorly on the settee with a bottle of Lucozade watching Look and Read, Words and Pictures, Watch, ZigZag, Maths File, Music Time, Search Out Science, Geography File, then a break for lunch with Mr. Benn, Cockleshell Bay (had to change channel for that one), then early afternoon you had a few more progs before Beat the Teacher, Grange Hill et Al came on.

I learned more watching those when I had chicken pox and mumps than I did at school. 🤣

Ah, Music Time with the delectable Helen Spiers also remember Words and pictures with the late Henry Woolfe . I didn't watch it at school, far too old, I was on long term nights !

• Like 1

8 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Ah, Music Time with the delectable Helen Spiers also remember Words and pictures with the late Henry Woolfe . I didn't watch it at school, far too old, I was on long term nights !

Mate, seven year old me had the serious horn for Louise Taylor-Hall from “Watch” - she vanished without a trace after she quit the show.

I would take in Open University while waiting for Godzilla cartoon on a Saturday morning too; talk about opaque subject matter. I revisited recently via YouTube. I consider myself reasonably intelligent but “Physics: Beyond Experience” sailed so far over my head I thought my name was BELSHAW. :(

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Admin
8 hours ago, WessexPest said:

Mate, seven year old me had the serious horn for Louise Taylor-Hall from “Watch” - she vanished without a trace after she quit the show.

I would take in Open University while waiting for Godzilla cartoon on a Saturday morning too; talk about opaque subject matter. I revisited recently via YouTube. I consider myself reasonably intelligent but “Physics: Beyond Experience” sailed so far over my head I thought my name was BELSHAW. :(

I'd forgotten about those painful OU episodes lol

Ps it's Louise Hall Taylor 

https://www.discogs.com/master/2005012-Raewyn-Blade-James-Earl-Adair-Louise-Hall-Taylor-Watch-Music-From-The-BBC-Schools-TV-Series

R-3039970-1456015177-1122.jpg

A bit more of where she appeared https://m.imdb.com/name/nm1279595/

3830261-front_1000x.jpg

At junior school in the 60s we never saw a tv. The treat was on the last day before the summer break the old doubled reeled camera and screen would be put up and we’d all be shown a Disney film - the one I remember best is Bambi and the girls crying at the sad bits.

• Admin
1 hour ago, Robbored said:

At junior school in the 60s we never saw a tv. The treat was on the last day before the summer break the old doubled reeled camera and screen would be put up and we’d all be shown a Disney film - the one I remember best is Bambi and the girls crying at the sad bits.

Same for me, except it was before Christmas and would be cartoons 

On 10/05/2024 at 15:46, Ronnie Sinclair said:

I can't see any issue with this not being passed, I've seen the TV screen they are using it won't affect the local residents too much

Colin Dunlap on X: "remember in school on holiday weeks like this when the  teacher would wheel a TV strapped to a cart into the room and just be like,  “screw it,

I remember half the lesson being wasted as the teacher worked out which cables to plug in! 

On 11/05/2024 at 13:56, slartibartfast said:

Ah, Music Time with the delectable Helen Spiers 

Slarti,

Is that the series where she would say S I N G rather loudly? Then the basic music notation would appear as a ticker tape and the notes would light up at the appropriate time.

I've had this as a primary school reminder since the mid 60s!

7 hours ago, Norn Iron said:

Slarti,

Is that the series where she would say S I N G rather loudly? Then the basic music notation would appear as a ticker tape and the notes would light up at the appropriate time.

I've had this as a primary school reminder since the mid 60s!

This was more late 70's, early 80's .

• Thanks 1

On 12/05/2024 at 08:14, Robbored said:

They brought one into Samuel White's in Hanham so we could watch a replay of the moon landing. I think the original was in the middle of the night in the UK.

Edited by Red-Robbo
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

On 14/05/2024 at 23:52, Red-Robbo said:

They brought one into Samuel White's in Hanham so we could watch a replay of the moon landing. I think the original was in the middle of the night in the UK.

I remember my mum and dad getting me up in the wee small hours to see either the landing or take off from the Moon (cannot quite recall) I was only four, but can remember the images of fuzzy black and white.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

I remember my mum and dad getting me up in the wee small hours to see either the landing or take off from the Moon (cannot quite recall) I was only four, but can remember the images of fuzzy black and white.

My mum let me stay up and watch it, I must have been about 8 but I can remember it like it was yesterday.

• Like 1

On 12/05/2024 at 08:14, Robbored said:

The best bit was, if the teacher could be persuaded, to get him to rewind the reel and play it through the machine instead of by passing it. You would get the firm you had just watched playing backwards at high speed.

What an absolute joy it was as a 7 year old to see penguins waddling backwards looking like they were on speed or monkeys being launched from the ground back up a tree. Only certain teachers would do this, Mr King, you were the best. I doubt if he will read this as he would be at least 110 years old now 😆

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

We slept thru it. Neither mum or dad were remotely interested and they slept thru it to.

I can’t remember the first time I saw it either but it was a big deal at school with all the pupils and teachers going on about the moon landing.

11 minutes ago, Robbored said:

We slept thru it. Neither mum or dad were remotely interested and they slept thru it to.

I can’t remember the first time I saw it either but it was a big deal at school with all the pupils and teachers going on about the moon landing.

I was obsessed with all of it. Watching the build up to the final countdown was so exciting at the time.

9 hours ago, Robbored said:

I remember my sister making me get up to watch the start of 'Breakfast Television', that was an unnecessary experience.

58 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

I remember my sister making me get up to watch the start of 'Breakfast Television', that was an unnecessary experience.

Yup kids, there were actually times you could switch on the TV and there was actually no TV broadcasting. There was that scary looking Test Card. I think programmes only started at 11am (?) and then it was programmes for schools. And at the end of the day TV would close around midnight(?) with the national anthem!

As a child if you weren't sat down to watch your favourite TV in time you missed it, to pause, rewinds or repeats. I loved Camberwick Green etc, Windy Miller was my hero but I always wanted him to miss time stepping out of his windmill 🤭

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RedM said:

Yup kids, there were actually times you could switch on the TV and there was actually no TV broadcasting. There was that scary looking Test Card. I think programmes only started at 11am (?) and then it was programmes for schools. And at the end of the day TV would close around midnight(?) with the national anthem!

As a child if you weren't sat down to watch your favourite TV in time you missed it, to pause, rewinds or repeats. I loved Camberwick Green etc, Windy Miller was my hero but I always wanted him to miss time stepping out of his windmill 🤭

This a trip down memory lane for me. I used watch ‘Watch with mother’ at my nans house. My favourite was Bill and Ben and Tales from the river bank. The wooden tops and Andy Pandy were others.

Iirc correctly Noddy was another.

Edited by Robbored
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RedM said:

Windy Miller was my hero but I always wanted him to miss time stepping out of his windmill 🤭

Not just me then!

I still have the windmill rhymical rotation noise in my head. 

• Haha 1