IGNORED

Scottish Premiership.......does anyone care?

maxjak

How boring and pointless is the Scottish Premiership?    Rangers or Celtic?   It's been the same since i was a young lad......I cannot understand the passion generated by such a tedious two horse race that occurs every year.  It has  to be the dullest  and most predictable league in Europe?      

• Like 6
  • Flames 1

Assuming things go as forecast on Sunday, Man City will have won 6 of the last 7 PLs. Prior to this year, Bayern Munich had won something like 11 Bundesliga titles on the trot. In La Liga, other than the odd Atleti, it’s Barca or Real. Serie A has got more competitive recently but only after a period of Juventus dominance.

Yes, it’s generally always Rangers and Celtic. But monopolies and duopoly’s are not unique to Scotland. The “competitiveness” of the Premier League is a myth.

• Like 9
  • Flames 2

5 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Yes, it’s generally always Rangers and Celtic. But monopolies and duopoly’s are not unique to Scotland. The “competitiveness” of the Premier League is a myth.

So much so the marketing department has  made it a ‘race to fourth’.

There’s something quite likeable about Spurs fans turning their nose up at fourth place and the consequences just so their rivals would miss out on a title. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Assuming things go as forecast on Sunday, Man City will have won 6 of the last 7 PLs. Prior to this year, Bayern Munich had won something like 11 Bundesliga titles on the trot. In La Liga, other than the odd Atleti, it’s Barca or Real. Serie A has got more competitive recently but only after a period of Juventus dominance.

Ligue 1 used to be the best for unpredictability and multiple different clubs winning it. But that's now been ruined by PSG. 

• Like 2

A big yes. Lots of English fans, including myself, have a favourite Scottish team. Secondly, the Scottish Premier League is the best supported league in the whole of Europe, based on crowds per head of population, so yes, the Scots care passionately about their league.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

40 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

But at the same time, four different teams have won the premier league in the last 10 years, and it could become 5 in 10 years on Sunday (unlikely, admittedly, but not impossible). Over a ten year horizon that’s probably more different winners than many other leagues  

To restore a bit more unpredictability over the next few years it really needs Guardiola to leave Man City. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

You have the Isles of Scilly football league where there are only 2 teams who apparently play an entire season just playing the same match over and over, but that is still more exciting than Scotland. 😁

But seriously Scottish footballs heyday might have been in the past and I can't think of another country where there has only been 2 teams who have won the league in the last 40 years but I still think both Rangers and Celtic are 2 of the most passionate fan bases in the UK with great history so can't knock them too much, might think differently if Tommy Conway leaves for one of them though.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Barrs Court Red said:

“If only we could play in the EPL. We’d be the biggest club” 

JEvery Rangers/Celtic fan.

To be fair, these guys must have really strong backs, because the chip those guys carry on their shoulder if ******* massive. 

In terms of the support the two Glasgow club have they would be the biggest clubs.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

Question: how would Celtic/Rangers do against Championship teams? We all know the likes of Man City would tear them a new one, but what about down a league?

25 minutes ago, Robbored said:

In terms of the plastic support the two Glasgow club have they would be the biggest clubs.

FTFY

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Every Rangers/Celtic fan.

To be fair, these guys must have really strong backs, because the chip those guys carry on their shoulder if ******* massive. 

8 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

Question: how would Celtic/Rangers do against Championship teams? We all know the likes of Man City would tear them a new one, but what about down a league?

FTFY

Whenever discussions of this ilk come up they tend to be rooted in the “now”. And in the “now” there is no doubt that Rangers and Celtic would struggle markedly in the premier league. If you look at the squads for Rangers the POTY is Jack Butland, who prior to his move couldn’t get in Palaces team. Squad has players like Lundstram, Davies, Roofe, Cantwell, Lawrence. It’s a top half championship squad.

The Celtic squad is better but the standout is the (undoubtedly good) O’Reilly who hasn’t played above league one this side of the border. Joe Hart in goal has been in decline for a few years, Idah was taken on loan from Norwich this year. It’s a squad that would probably fight relegation in the prem.

But that misses the point - and whether people like it or not, Celtic and Rangers are huge, but have no real ability to sweat commercially. I was in Belfast recently and the unionist areas remain full of Rangers murals, there’s a Rangers and Celtic shop in the centre and it’s very much a second centre away from Glasgow. But this pales compares to Celtic. Theyre the “Irish team”. Think of all the people who play up nominal Irish roots worldwide. Think of the Irish presence in America. The potential of Celtic is massive, but hamstrung by their league.

If Celtic were in the premier league, it’s not about the current team. It’s about the longer term commercial growth, and they would undoubtedly be one of the biggest clubs in the league - and most valuable - in pretty short order.

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

I think they’d be closer to the top, Rangers getting to the latter stages of the Europa (can’t remember which one) and beating some good teams and only just losing out to Benfica. Celtic do naff in the Champions League but so would every Championship club.

My view is that if they had a sustained period in the championship they would get promotion and then with a few years of English TV money they would end up being a mid/European challenging clubs.

I do enjoy the Celtic v Rangers matches. They are normally a dramatic game with either a fair amount of goals or red cards. Will be interesting next season when the away fans are back at the games.

14 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Whenever discussions of this ilk come up they tend to be rooted in the “now”. And in the “now” there is no doubt that Rangers and Celtic would struggle markedly in the premier league. If you look at the squads for Rangers the POTY is Jack Butland, who prior to his move couldn’t get in Palaces team. Squad has players like Lundstram, Davies, Roofe, Cantwell, Lawrence. It’s a top half championship squad.

The Celtic squad is better but the standout is the (undoubtedly good) O’Reilly who hasn’t played above league one this side of the border. Joe Hart in goal has been in decline for a few years, Idah was taken on loan from Norwich this year. It’s a squad that would probably fight relegation in the prem.

But that misses the point - and whether people like it or not, Celtic and Rangers are huge, but have no real ability to sweat commercially. I was in Belfast recently and the unionist areas remain full of Rangers murals, there’s a Rangers and Celtic shop in the centre and it’s very much a second centre away from Glasgow. But this pales compares to Celtic. Theyre the “Irish team”. Think of all the people who play up nominal Irish roots worldwide. Think of the Irish presence in America. The potential of Celtic is massive, but hamstrung by their league.

If Celtic were in the premier league, it’s not about the current team. It’s about the longer term commercial growth, and they would undoubtedly be one of the biggest clubs in the league - and most valuable - in pretty short order.

The potential for Celtic in the premiership would be massive, the Yanks would be fighting like ferrets in a sack to get a bit of Celtic, Rangers would be like Norwich of WBA 😆

11 hours ago, maxjak said:

How boring and pointless is the Scottish Premiership?    Rangers or Celtic?   It's been the same since i was a young lad......I cannot understand the passion generated by such a tedious two horse race that occurs every year.  It has  to be the dullest  and most predictable league in Europe?      

They play football in Scotland ?

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, maxjak said:

At least it's a 2 horse race... i give you F1!  🥱 🤣

10 hours ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Every Rangers/Celtic fan.

They would be the biggest clubs in the championship.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

At least it's a 2 horse race... i give you F1!  🥱 🤣

F1 is pretty much the same. Blokes racing around in elaborate circles and whichever firm has the quickest car and best engineers wins. Drivers are two a penny.

I find F1 about as thrilling as basketball.

At least in the SPL you apparently get some occasional exciting bits………..:dunno:

30 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Going off on a tangent here but since you went to Belfast I saw that there was a cup final there a couple of weekends ago which was the highest attended cup final there since the late 1970's, only a crowd of 15k but for them that's as good as it ever gets. I didn't know there was a nationalist team in their leagues but it was a team adopted by them anyway vs the very unionist Linfield (lots of dislike in the crowd and observing the national anthem was rather mixed 😁). And the underdogs Cliftonville won the cup for the 1st time in 40 something years, was watching some of the matchday vlogs and thought it was interesting seeing football in a region I know very little about.

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

you really do have to go up there to understand how big rangers and Celtic are ‘ there’s nothing like it in world football’ the religious and political stance of both teams makes it what it is ‘ makes any English derby seem timid.