IGNORED

Modern day football terminology.

Just now, onehowie said:

Transitions, overloads, presses, false number tens/nines etc. Who would have understood these ten/twenty odd years ago! 

From an old 'un who remembers 'proper' football!

I don’t understand most of them now if I’m honest..😂

• Like 5
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

Back to square one is an old footy phrase you don’t hear very much these days. The phrase originates from the days when football was listened to a lot on the radio. To help the listener picture the scene, the pitch was divided up into a grid of imaginary squares, square one being around the goalmouth. Thus, whenever the ball went out of play for a goal kick, or someone made a boring pass-back (of the type no longer allowed), the commentator would groan: "Back to square one".

Not a lot of people know that 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

I remember 'in the hole' or 'the makelele role' - now I guess a 10 or a 6? Or a 'cam' and a 'dm' for the fifa generation?

I liked defining player roles according the the player that made it famous. Perhaps now the game is more structured there is less freedom for those individuals to carve out a role of their own? Teams built around a system or a style (or, heaven forbid, an 'identity'!) rather than particular players.

LJ had his own terminology 'busy bees' etc which was a bit annoying in s different way, but at least it was original. In Manning we hwbe somebody fluent in the language of coaching newspeak. does not appeal to me!

• Flames 1

2 minutes ago, Glen hump said:

It’s my biggest bugbear’ most use the terms to make it sound like they know what they’re talking about’ I’m still waiting for what the new term is for get the **** into um.

Aggressive high press? Doesn't have the same ring I'll grant you!

• Haha 2

Just now, Ashtongreight said:

Box entries 

Wish I could forget. Goal entries are what count. Nothing more desperate than a manager who has lost citing the number of box entries.

Poch tried it recently, citing Chelsea apparently underperformed their xg. If he'd have just said 'we're creating enough chances, just need to put them away' he would have come across much better imo

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Back to square one is an old footy phrase you don’t hear very much these days. The phrase originates from the days when football was listened to a lot on the radio. To help the listener picture the scene, the pitch was divided up into a grid of imaginary squares, square one being around the goalmouth. Thus, whenever the ball went out of play for a goal kick, or someone made a boring pass-back (of the type no longer allowed), the commentator would groan: "Back to square one".

Not a lot of people know that 

I always thought that but actually it is at the very least disputed as explained here:

https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/back-to-square-one.html

See particularly this bit:

Recordings of early commentaries also exist, including the very first broadcast sports commentary of any kind – a rugby match, as it happens.

That commentary, and many others that followed, referred listeners to the printed maps and a second commentator called out the numbers as the ball moved around the pitch. However, at no point in any existing commentary is the phrase ‘back to square one’ used.

What counts against radio commentaries being the source of ‘back to square one’ is:

The ‘squares’ are in fact rectangles. No commentary ever referred to them as squares.

The position marked as Area One on the BBC grid is at one end of the pitch – which isn’t in any sense the beginning in a football game. For one team, Area One is near to their opponent’s goal. For the other team it near their own.

Perhaps the most damning evidence is that the phrase isn’t known in print before 1952. That’s many years after the BBC abandoned the use of visual aids for radio sports commentaries.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

The corridor of uncertainty.

Isn't that when your on the landing outside the bedroom wondering whether the missus has a headache or is too tired?

• Haha 3

Listening to my 8 year old grandson describing some of his goals, I wonder when top corner became top bins.

50 minutes ago, Laner said:

'Winning a penalty' and all that crap about having the 'right to go over' if there's the slightest of touches. Would have been laughed at a few decades ago.

To be fair just 'penalty' is fairly new term to us invented in the last couple years I believe, let alone winning one.

• Haha 2

Inside left. Outside half etc. 
These were familiar positions in the 50’s. Things change. 

Yeah there’s lots I don’t like. “This group” as mentioned above being one. 
“It’s an interesting project” being another! 
And “we are here to win football matches for this football club” or some such bollox. Very annoying. 

A lot of the actual ‘technical’ terms though are just revamped speak. Low block just meant ‘stand off’ before. High block just meant get into em! 
Transition is just another term for “we’ve lost the ball, get back in shape” or “we’ve won the ball, counter attack”. 
A false 10 is just a striker who comes a bit deeper. 

None of it is new. Just revised. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Glen hump said:

It’s my biggest bugbear’ most use the terms to make it sound like they know what they’re talking about’ I’m still waiting for what the new term is for get the **** into um.

"Overload 'em up, transition into 'em"

Can't wait to hear that being chanted on the terraces 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, onehowie said:

Transitions, overloads, presses, false number tens/nines etc. Who would have understood these ten/twenty odd years ago! 

From an old 'un who remembers 'proper' football!

Deep block. Wtflip, isn't that just defending deep. Aka parking the bus.