IGNORED

Modern day football terminology.

19 hours ago, pongo88 said:

Back to square one is an old footy phrase you don’t hear very much these days. The phrase originates from the days when football was listened to a lot on the radio. To help the listener picture the scene, the pitch was divided up into a grid of imaginary squares, square one being around the goalmouth. Thus, whenever the ball went out of play for a goal kick, or someone made a boring pass-back (of the type no longer allowed), the commentator would groan: "Back to square one".

Not a lot of people know that 

Isn't it more likely to have originated from snakes & ladders (or chutes and ladders as our American friends call it)? You literally go back to square one if you step on the wrong snake. 

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

Isn't it more likely to have originated from snakes & ladders (or chutes and ladders as our American friends call it)? You literally go back to square one if you step on the wrong snake. 

Quite possibly because one team who passes the ball back could go back to square one but the other, kicking in the opposite direction, would go back to square 7 or 8. (and they’re not squares) 

IMG_6035.jpeg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Quite possibly because one team who passes the ball back could go back to square one but the other, kicking in the opposite direction, would go back to square 7 or 8. (and they’re not squares) 

IMG_6035.jpeg

Aye. Has a measure of urban myth to it that one. Like the oft-quoted "port out starboard home" for Posh. 

22 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

The corridor of uncertainty.

Surely a cricketing term? The corridor of uncertainty outside the off stump ‘n all that. Wasn’t Geoff Boycott an early populariser?

• Like 1

Let's face it, we don't really know what the players and coaches say to each other during the game these days, they spend the whole time with their hands over their mouths with paranoia at being lip read.

I remember years ago in my cricket days, the skipper and me had a regular laugh to break the tension when the game wasn't going well. If the opposition batsmen (batters?) were running away with the game and we had tried everything, we would stand in the middle of the pitch pointing and waving our arms about to give the impression we had some great plan to turn things around when in reality we were saying 'we're stuffed', 'your missus is looking good today' and 'where are we drinking after the game?' I sometimes wonder if the pros do that.

Low block, mid block, high block (did i make it up?) high press.... Half the time people just use one when it's really not what's happening! 

They all sound technical, but it fails to tell the story.

Double pivot..... So yeah 4231

There's a really good podcast that is all about the ridiculous language of football. It's called Football Clichés. 

If you've enjoyed this thread you'll undoubtedly enjoy this podcast, definitely worth a look: Listen here