IGNORED

Bolton or Oxford? Oxford Promoted

21 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Oxford as it’s easier to get to and I used to live there. Know the place well and always looking for an excuse to go back to Headington. I believe they originated as Headington Utd and was it Ron Atkinson that played for them?? 

Did they ever build that stand at the car park end? 

Ron 'the tank' Atkinson.

Strange fanbase at Bolton. Seem to think that they are a massive club. Don’t get me wrong they do have a good history, way better than ours, but not as huge as they think they are.

Will be interesting to see if Thomason is sought after since turning down a chance at Championship football with us (assuming there is no big comeback).

OK, so it appears Oxford are coming up.Who will be their "Local rivals" next season? Reading, Luton or Watford?

For younger forum members, there may still be some bad blood with Reading; 

Shortly before the end of the 1982–83 Football League season, Robert Maxwell, the then-owner and chairman of Oxford United Football Club, announced that he had made a deal with the owners of nearby Reading to amalgamate the two teams to create a new club he proposed to name "Thames Valley Royals". This appellation combined a loose term for the geographical region, "Thames Valley", with the Reading team's nickname, "the Royals". With each team having financial problems, Maxwell claimed that both were on the verge of going out of business and that uniting them was necessary for the region to retain a Football League club. Maxwell envisioned the Thames Valley Royals' future home as an unspecified location somewhere between Oxford and Reading where a new stadium would be built, perhaps in Didcot; home matches would alternate between Oxford and Reading 

6 minutes ago, 22A said:

OK, so it appears Oxford are coming up.Who will be their "Local rivals" next season? Reading, Luton or Watford?

Shortly before the end of the 1982–83 Football League season, Robert Maxwell, the then-owner and chairman of Oxford United Football Club, announced that he had made a deal with the owners of nearby Reading to amalgamate the two teams to create a new club he proposed to name "Thames Valley Royals". This appellation combined a loose term for the geographical region, "Thames Valley", with the Reading team's nickname, "the Royals". With each team having financial problems, Maxwell claimed that both were on the verge of going out of business and that uniting them was necessary for the region to retain a Football League club. Maxwell envisioned the Thames Valley Royals' future home as an unspecified location somewhere between Oxford and Reading where a new stadium would be built, perhaps in Didcot; home matches would alternate between Oxford and Reading 

Reading are in League One. Oxford is probably closer to Coventry or Baggies than any other Championship side.

7 minutes ago, 22A said:

If they do come up it definitely won't be Reading in the league.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I see Thomason has picked up his 22nd booking of the season……….suggests he’s a cynical bastard, can’t tackle or simply doesn’t get there on time!!

That's an incredible stat. Given that he must have had a fair few suspensions, he must have been booked in almost every game!

51 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Oxford as it’s easier to get to and I used to live there. Know the place well and always looking for an excuse to go back to Headington. I believe they originated as Headington Utd and was it Ron Atkinson that played for them?? 

Did they ever build that stand at the car park end? 

Ron 'Tank' Atkinson certainly played for them. The first time I went to the Manor Ground (0-0 draw I think) was his final season for them. 

1 minute ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Just had a peek at the Oxford forum. “Thank God Manning left “ 🤔

Was just wondering that.

He won't be getting any credit amongst Oxford fans or on here, but objectively Manning is surely due some credit for their promotion given he helped oversee the summer rebuild and got them off to a flying start...

• Like 9
  • Hmmm 1
  • Facepalm 1

9 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I see Thomason has picked up his 22nd booking of the season……….suggests he’s a cynical bastard, can’t tackle or simply doesn’t get there on time!!

He just looks a niggly bugger always in the ref`s ear and getting involved when players get fouled.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Was just wondering that.

He won't be getting any credit amongst Oxford fans or on here, but objectively Manning is surely due some credit for their promotion given he helped oversee the summer rebuild and got them off to a flying start...

Yep. He left them in second place. 

• Thanks 1