IGNORED

Bolton or Oxford? Oxford Promoted

• The title was changed to Bolton or Oxford? Oxford Promoted
1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

Oxford as it’s easier to get to and I used to live there. Know the place well and always looking for an excuse to go back to Headington. I believe they originated as Headington Utd and was it Ron Atkinson that played for them?? 

Did they ever build that stand at the car park end? 

Ron 'Tank' Atkinson certainly played for them. The first time I went to the Manor Ground (0-0 draw I think) was his final season for them. 

Really remarkable story in fairness. Buckingham a boyhood Oxford fan, in the stands for their play off final in the conference, manager of them the next time that they’re there with fans. Fairytale stuff really. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, DownendRed said:

An alternative place to St Andrew’s,  to watch us play badly and lose 3-0…

That’s the spirit. Welcome to OTIB.  With an attitude like that you’ll fit in nicely.

9 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Was just wondering that.

He won't be getting any credit amongst Oxford fans or on here, but objectively Manning is surely due some credit for their promotion given he helped oversee the summer rebuild and got them off to a flying start...

By the same token you're giving Pearson credit for us finishing higher this season yea? 

• Like 4
  • Facepalm 4

Just now, Kodjias Wrist said:

Thought we played them early 2000s in LDV may be wrong. 

I don`t think so - I can`t recall it anyway. They moved there in 2001 so you could well be right. Amazing to think we haven`t been in the same division as them for 23 years though!

• Like 1

Wonder if Manning has mixed feelings about joining us for a mediocre half season or missing out on the glory of winning a Wembley playoff final?

Obviously a lot of ifs and but’s, but a promotion on his CV would have done his career no harm whatsoever.

Edited by Peter1450

1 minute ago, Peter1450 said:

Wonder if Manning has mixed feelings about joining us for a mediocre half season or missing out on the glory of winning a Wembley playoff final?

Obviously a lot of ifs and but’s, but a promotion on his CV would have done his career no harm whatsoever.

I’m sure we pay him a lot more than Oxford would.

2 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

By the same token you're giving Pearson credit for us finishing higher this season yea? 

Of course he deserves some credit. We aren't all as one-eyed as you, bird brain. 

However, slight difference in that Pearson left us in 14th and we finished 11th.

Manning left Oxford in 2nd, and they finished 5th. 

So on that basis, quite hard to argue that Manning doesn't deserve SOME credit.

Sure you'll try though (please don't 🙏)... 

• Like 10
  • Flames 5
  • Robin 2

7 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Really remarkable story in fairness. Buckingham a boyhood Oxford fan, in the stands for their play off final in the conference, manager of them the next time that they’re there with fans. Fairytale stuff really. 

Also after a rocky start, he really got them going at the “business end of the season” (to quote that terrible cliche). Fair play to him and what’s the betting we get Oxford as our first home game of next season? Of course Manning could have buggered off to Norwich by then…

5 minutes ago, Peter1450 said:

I’m sure managing at a bigger club, on probably double the money, training on better facilities every day and managing in front of 3x the crowds every week gives the answer to that one. 

• Like 3
  • Flames 2
  • Robin 1

8 minutes ago, Peter1450 said:

Doubt it! He cashed in his chips early and walked. Who knows where their season would have meandered. 

Congratulations again to Oxford. All credit to the bloke who went there and actually got them promoted and stuck with it through the play offs! 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, petehinton said:

I’m sure managing at a bigger club, on probably double the money, training on better facilities every day and managing in front of 3x the crowds every week gives the answer to that one. 

This seemingly new take that Manning is a bad person, or bad decision maker, for leaving Oxford who hadn't been in the Championship for 25 years, for us who have been in the Championship for most of the past 25 years, is truly something 🤣

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Intrigued as to what Pearson has to do with anything on this thread, unless of course you can’t stand the concept of manning being praised for anything?

• Like 3
  • Flames 2

4 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

This seemingly new take that Manning is a bad person, or bad decision maker, for leaving Oxford who hadn't been in the Championship for 25 years, for us who have been in the Championship for most of the past 15 of the past 25 years, is truly something 🤣

Awaits more insults. 

Thought Oxford were very good tactically over the 3 playoff games.  Excellent blocking of passing lanes.  Not hugely adventurous with the ball, but against Peterborough and Bolton (two heavy passing sides) it suited them very nicely indeed.

Nice to have a close away game too.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

This seemingly new take that Manning is a bad person, or bad decision maker, for leaving Oxford who hadn't been in the Championship for 25 years, for us who have been in the Championship for most of the past 25 years, is truly something 🤣

You're right,though using Jon's yardstick Manning surely is a bad person because he was only passing through Oxford, being more focused on his own career.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, tin said:

Oxford will surely go straight back down next season, and their promotion may put a spanner in the work for Manning’s plans to raid his former club. 

Out of interest, who do you think we’d be after from Oxford?

Brannagan potentially, if Williams left?

Anyone else?

6 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

OK, let's make this as painless as possible.

I have 25 apples and put them into two baskets.

Basket 1 has 15 apples in it

Basket 2 has 10 apples in it

Which basket has more apples in it? 

You tried to frame it in the context that we've spent the majority of the past 25 years in the Championship. I corrected you on that. End. 

• Confused 4
  • Facepalm 5

36 minutes ago, petehinton said:

He’s had an interesting career. Began coaching in Oxford’s academy at 18

• Like 1