IGNORED

Bolton or Oxford? Oxford Promoted

12 minutes ago, Charlie BCFC said:

Why does every thread on here turn into a Manning v Pearson debate? 

Oxford executed their game plan perfectly and deserved to win, interested to see what they bring next season. The games between us should definitely be interesting 

It hasn't! 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

You have a thing with calling posters thick don't you? Seen you do it quite a few times. Is everything ok? 

You made reference to 25 years to make it sound better than it is. Don't know why you couldn't have just said 15 of the last 25 years. 

So as you have appeared to have worked out what the word "most" means, are you going to apologise for being wrong?? 

Thought not!

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

So as you have appeared to have worked out what the word "most" means, are you going to apologise for being wrong?? 

Thought not!

Nope cos I dont agree that 15 out of 25 is most. 20+ would be most. 

You going to apologise to the numerous posters that you constantly call thick? 

• Haha 5
  • Confused 3
  • Hmmm 1
  • Facepalm 4

3 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Even 13 would be “most” were you bottom class at maths in school? Thicko. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

There's nothing to agree with, we've spent most of our seasons in the championship this century.

It's not an opinion thing, you're just in the wrong on this one

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Just had a peek at the Oxford forum. “Thank God Manning left “ 🤔

Des Buckingham joined the U’s as head coach part way through the season when Liam Manning left for us - and the trajectory the club have been on since is immense.

Since his arrival in November, the former Mumbai City boss has guided his hometown club to a spot in the play-offs on the final day of the season when they moved up two places to finish fifth.

Yet it was their previous match against Bolton - when Buckingham's side suffered a chastening 5-0 defeat at the Toughsheet Community Stadium in March - that proved to be the impetus they needed.

That loss kick-started an overwhelming upturn in form as they won by four or more goals in three consecutive games in April.

With plans for a new stadium on the horizon, the club will be hoping that promotion to the Championship - with the backing of over 30,000 supporters at Wembley - is a reason to be optimistic about what the future will look like for the U's.

They have not played in English football's second tier since the turn of the millennium, when it was then called Division One in 1999.

The club narrowly missed out on promotion behind closed doors in 2020 against Wycombe Wanderers but put their recent heartache behind them.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

There's nothing to agree with, we've spent most of our seasons in the championship this century.

It's not an opinion thing, you're just in the wrong on this one

In your opinion. 

Say we spent 15 of the 25 million we got for Scott. I wouldn't class that as us spending most of it. Maybe you would, I wouldn't. Fair enough. 

Edited by W-S-M Seagull
  • Facepalm 1

Just now, W-S-M Seagull said:

In your opinion. 

Say we spent 15 of the 25 million we got for Scott. I wouldn't class that as us spending most of it. Maybe you would, I wouldn't. Fair enough. 

It's not an opinion though?

It's a mathematical fact, there's nothing opinion about it.

If we spent 60% of the money we made on Scott then we would have spent the majority of it.

How do you cope during elections? You must go through agony seeing people's 'opinions' on who has the majority of the votes!

15 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

It's a mathematical fact, there's nothing opinion about it.

Daring to jump into a pointless debate, I'd like to point out that 'most' has multiple definitions in English.  The context is vital.

Most can mean 'the majority' or it can mean 'almost all'.

'Fred received the most votes.' 'Most Bristolians are City fans'

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 2

9 minutes ago, Hxj said:

Daring to jump into a pointless debate, I'd like to point out that 'most' has multiple definitions in English.  The context is vital.

Within the context here it's a mathematical fact though, in spite of @W-S-M Seagulland his 'opinions'.

As you say it's all meaningless, it's a shame said poster has derailed this thread because what was posted didn't suit their agenda

37 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Des Buckingham joined the U’s as head coach part way through the season when Liam Manning left for us - and the trajectory the club have been on since is immense.

Since his arrival in November, the former Mumbai City boss has guided his hometown club to a spot in the play-offs on the final day of the season when they moved up two places to finish fifth.

Yet it was their previous match against Bolton - when Buckingham's side suffered a chastening 5-0 defeat at the Toughsheet Community Stadium in March - that proved to be the impetus they needed.

That loss kick-started an overwhelming upturn in form as they won by four or more goals in three consecutive games in April.

With plans for a new stadium on the horizon, the club will be hoping that promotion to the Championship - with the backing of over 30,000 supporters at Wembley - is a reason to be optimistic about what the future will look like for the U's.

They have not played in English football's second tier since the turn of the millennium, when it was then called Division One in 1999.

The club narrowly missed out on promotion behind closed doors in 2020 against Wycombe Wanderers but put their recent heartache behind them.

From The Guardian report:

Intriguingly, Liam Manning, Buckingham’s predecessor, did not fancy Murphy one iota and the winger did not start a league match until the pre-Christmas game of musical coaches. He has flourished since.

Perhaps Murphy was too emotional, behaviours-wise. 😁

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Within the context here it's a mathematical fact though

The trouble is that you are both right and both wrong.  The wonder of the English language is that context is all important, although in this context I'd be happier arguing against your view.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Hxj said:

The trouble is that you are both right and both wrong.  The wonder of the English language is that context is all important, although in this context I'd be happier arguing against your view.

Fair enough, I struggle to see a context in which 15 seasons in the championship out of 25 doesn’t constitute ‘most’ of our time this decade but I may just be missing something!

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

Oxford is a city famous for being a crucible of academic mathematical debate and discovery.

I'm glad that OTIB is contributing to that.

Oxford was but these days "debate" is the last thing they're interested in

• Like 1

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

In your opinion. 

If we spent £12.5m and one penny of the £25m for Scott we would have spent most of it.

It would be by the smallest possible amount, but it would be "most".

This is literally the type of thing children learn at about 6 years old.

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Something doesn't add up here...

2 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

If the alternative total can't  possibly more than the amount in question, then how is it anything other than the most..?

To nor agree with a basic mathematical fact only shows complete ignorance on your part.

Some things come down to one's opinions - this isn't one of those things & you are wrong. 

1 hour ago, Hxj said:

Most Bristolians are not emotionally committed football fans. Of the minority that are, City fans outnumber Rovers fans. 

5 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

Not sure it was their choice to move. Thought the lease has ended ( due to end) and Kassam is refusing to renew it.

What the hell will they do with it now though, a case of cutting your nose off to spite your face?

6 minutes ago, pillred said:

What the hell will they do with it now though, a case of cutting your nose off to spite your face?

Well the new ground is some way off and still far from certain it will get built, so they're stuck at the Kassam for now.

It would be an ok stadium (it's bigger than you'd imagine) but for one huge thing - it's only got 3 sides so any atmosphere sort of drains away. One of their supporters tells me that a temporary stand could be on the cards for next season. Financially it would have to make sense with much larger away followings but let's hope they make a better job of it than the Gas otherwise they'll be back in L1 before its finished and has planning permission....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JBFC II said:

Fair enough, I struggle to see a context in which 15 seasons in the championship out of 25 doesn’t constitute ‘most’ of our time this decade but I may just be missing something!

You are. 15 seasons does not constitute 'almost all' of 25 seasons which is the reasonable meaning of 'most' given the context in which KITR used it. 

Looking forward to all the apologies to WSM from all those who got it wrong...

Edited by Colemanballs
  • Like 1