IGNORED

Italia 90

Rooster

Mate of mine. Very knowledgable City fan and knows his football better than most.

He used to post on here a lot. I was in Italia 90 with him. The flag was homemade and lets just say was from a Bath “branch” of BCFC who were all in Italy. Italia 90 had a lot of City there. Proper naughty at times but football was in those days. Sardinia, Bologna, Naples was all good fun though. The guy spent ages creating that flag. The flag depicted the British Bulldog if memory serves me right. He still has the flag I believe? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 1

In one game an England flag was spotted by the camera. It had Barnstoneworth emblazoned on it and the commentator stated "I can't say I've heard of them". A little later he apologised; "I've now been told about Barnstoneworth".

For you young 'uns on here;

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

12 hours ago, Rooster said:

Come on people it’s only 34 years ago.Who can tell us the story behind this flag?

IMG_5652.png

I'm on the bottom tier. Its a posters on here. He was also at euro 92. Along with sticks camping at the lawless England fan camp hell.

13 hours ago, Rooster said:

Come on people it’s only 34 years ago.Who can tell us the story behind this flag?

IMG_5652.png

Maybe still too early to tell.

Its thirty years ago.

The dark memories are still too vivid.

You have to step easy with this kind of thing.

It can turn people.

Euro 92 scared a Gashead so much he converted to Christianity.

That’s gospel that one.

Think a City flag- possibly this one?- was in the picture of the cover of the official England Italia 90 video. At a time when most England fans carried the union flag and not the flag of St George. I was at Italia 90 and it all got nastier after this. Someone in the government claimed to see something offensive on a union flag and instructed the Italian authorities to confiscate anything dodgy. At the semi in Turin the lad in front of me got nicked for carrying a flag with ‘Proud Preston’ on it. You couldn’t argue with the Carabinari.

Edited by Bedred31

For any one who hasn’t watched it, I’d recommend watching One Night In Turin. I was only 8 at the time of Italia 90, but it was the tournament that really made me fall in love with football.

I genuinely thought Gazza and Gary Lineker were the best players in the world, (In Gazza’s case he probably was) and that England would always be challenging for the big prizes. Suffice to say Euro 92, and failing to qualify for USA 94 quickly dispelled that myth.

Edit, here it is

Edited by BS15_RED
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, BS15_RED said:

For any one who hasn’t watched it, I’d recommend watching One Night In Turin. I was only 8 at the time of Italia 90, but it was the tournament that really made me fall in love with football.

I genuinely thought Gazza and Gary Lineker were the best players in the world, (In Gazza’s case he probably was) and that Rnglsnd would always be challenging for the big prizes. Suffice to say Euro 92, and failing to qualify for USA 94 quickly dispelled that myth.

Edit, here it is

Great innit.

Great memories.  My first World Cup of being able to drink legally and going to watch games in pubs / bars.  Watched the Cameroon game at the Imperial Ground, and had a kick about (drunken kick about) out on the grass into the early hours.

• Like 1

63266CF9-BF1C-4D48-9C84-11A0A50452A1.thumb.jpeg.d5a034b2f0b4370ab696d868fe55a648.jpeg

Italia 90 was pretty mad, plenty of threads on here in the past. A few more pics to share of a few of us and that flag. Good days. Although Italy was a sketchy place during the World Cup. England had a bad reputation back in the 80s/90s. Good days though.

Edited by fisherrich
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

3 hours ago, Three Lions said:

I'm on the bottom tier. Its a posters on here. He was also at euro 92. Along with sticks camping at the lawless England fan camp hell.

The campsite in question got surrounded by hundreds of Swedish police who made every one stand in front of a camera and have there picture taken holding there passport in front of them . Traveled with some preston fans who where well game 

thinking about so we’re 90% of the fans that went back then 

different era and different times 

Got this piccie from away day lads on fb 

one quote 

Was on British Army tour training the "Italian Army" up in Northern Italy. 
Only managed to get to the Bologna game, but what a game it was, esp the ending. Had to scuffle all the way back to the train station a la Warriors film. Great times 🤣🤣🤣🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

haha

2 hours ago, sticks 1969 said:

The campsite in question got surrounded by hundreds of Swedish police who made every one stand in front of a camera and have there picture taken holding there passport in front of them . Traveled with some preston fans who where well game 

We were in the public park in Stockholm camping.

Remember gangs of scousers out in Stockholm robbing everything worth robbing. We lost to Sweden and outside afterwards Englands mob caused havoc with the OB. England had one hell of a mob in Sweden. As you say, nearly all the best firms in England were there - including Bristol City.

54 minutes ago, fisherrich said:

We were in the public park in Stockholm camping.

Remember gangs of scousers out in Stockholm robbing everything worth robbing. We lost to Sweden and outside afterwards Englands mob caused havoc with the OB. England had one hell of a mob in Sweden. As you say, nearly all the best firms in England were there - including Bristol City.

When they marched about 3000 England fans back to the centre after the game was quite interesting 

2 hours ago, sticks 1969 said:

When they marched about 3000 England fans back to the centre after the game was quite interesting 

Went away with England a lot in the 80s and 90s. Great days but with an element of danger. Enjoyed the experience and met some good friends. Some crazy people also but wouldn’t have missed it. Struggle to get too excited this day in age.

6 hours ago, sticks 1969 said:

Left a few hours before the police arrived for Stockholm by train I was there before the France game and riot one when the campsites offices were set on fire which also will be the only time in my life i will see police getting attacked by blokes running out of their tents in underpants armed with tent poles while a giant game of North v South football was going on at 4am!!!. 

• Like 1