IGNORED

10k- vaguely City related..

GrahamC

Don’t know if any other City fans ran the 10k this morning- one young lad definitely did, as he ran past me in a City shirt 

Who should I see stood as I reached the finishing line but Tinnion, don’t think he was there for my benefit though..

Brilliant event, peak Bristol, the official starter was a Green politician, bloke by me running in a “refugees are welcome” t-shirt, samba band, vegan runners had a large presence, as did loads of charities.

Enough to give Tony Wilkins a heart attack, a great run.

• Like 11

7 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Don’t know if any other City fans ran the 10k this morning- one young lad definitely did, as he ran past me in a City shirt 

Who should I see stood as I reached the finishing line but Tinnion, don’t think he was there for my benefit though..

Brilliant event, peak Bristol, the official starter was a Green politician, bloke by me running in a “refugees are welcome” t-shirt, samba band, vegan runners had a large presence, as did loads of charities.

His son Jay ran the 10k.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

My Son ran it in a City shirt.

Carrying a refugee.

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1
  • Facepalm 1

The HM was brutal. They either need to start earlier in the day.  Or change to earlier or later in the year. 

I done it about 10-15 years ago , 

done the half marathon ( that was tough ) and the 10k ( 43 mins ) , don’t enjoy running now I’m 60 so doing a 53k walk across the Cotswolds in a few weeks ( done it before on the south downs fair years back ) much tougher than you think people think oh I nice walk in the countryside WRONG , 🎒🚶🚑

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Pie Eater said:

The HM was brutal. They either need to start earlier in the day.  Or change to earlier or later in the year. 

Yep, I bet it was. I last did it 10 years ago when it was in September and it was hot enough then. Well done to all those who ran. 

52 minutes ago, Pie Eater said:

They need to split the 10k and the half into seperate events agajn

3 minutes ago, Dredd said:

They need to split the 10k and the half into seperate events agajn

Yeah this. I didn’t do it this year but have done both prior. I went for a run at 8am and it was deadly. Because of them doing 10k then HM the pink wave of the HM (so the more casual runners - or more pertinently a lot of people who were doing their first as a challenge) were scheduled to go about 11-11:30, so would be in maximum heat for 2-3 hours. Thats batshit, not fair, and wrong.

I stopped doing Great Run series after when Covid happened they cancelled the events (correctly) but kept the admin fees. Rather support things like Relish that run locally - Cheddar Gorge and Two Tunnels highly recommended.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Yeah this. I didn’t do it this year but have done both prior. I went for a run at 8am and it was deadly. Because of them doing 10k then HM the pink wave of the HM (so the more casual runners - or more pertinently a lot of people who were doing their first as a challenge) were scheduled to go about 11-11:30, so would be in maximum heat for 2-3 hours. Thats batshit, not fair, and wrong.

I stopped doing Great Run series after when Covid happened they cancelled the events (correctly) but kept the admin fees. Rather support things like Relish that run locally - Cheddar Gorge and Two Tunnels highly recommended.

Great Run taking over has been terrible. The covid fees was out of line but even other things, the prices going up, the finisher t-shirts going from actual decent tops to something with a terrible fit that I just threw away, the route for the 10k now going up past the galleries car park hill at 9k (horrible for experienced and novice runners alike), it's just a bad experience now. 
I'm surprised they continue to merge the events, a lot of 10k runners in May used to subsequently train for the Half in October but that's not an option now which is a shame

• Like 4

• Admin

Surprised nobody has mentioned the really tragic news of the 26 year old man who died

May he rest in peace 

The Great Run Company said in a statement that the man was treated by medics and later died in hospital.

The statement read: "Everyone involved in the organisation of the Great Bristol Run would like to express their sincere condolences to the family and friends of the participant.

"We take the health and safety of all participants very seriously and we work hard to ensure our events are delivered safely," the Great Run Company statement continued.

"All event plans are rigorously assessed and signed off by the Bristol Safety Advisory Group for Events." 

49 minutes ago, Dredd said:

Great Run taking over has been terrible. The covid fees was out of line but even other things, the prices going up, the finisher t-shirts going from actual decent tops to something with a terrible fit that I just threw away, the route for the 10k now going up past the galleries car park hill at 9k (horrible for experienced and novice runners alike), it's just a bad experience now. 
I'm surprised they continue to merge the events, a lot of 10k runners in May used to subsequently train for the Half in October but that's not an option now which is a shame

That hill by the galleries car park was part of the HM route when I done it and that was 10-15 years ago , like you say not nice 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, phantom said:

Surprised nobody has mentioned the really tragic news of the 26 year old man who died

May he rest in peace 

The Great Run Company said in a statement that the man was treated by medics and later died in hospital.

The statement read: "Everyone involved in the organisation of the Great Bristol Run would like to express their sincere condolences to the family and friends of the participant.

"We take the health and safety of all participants very seriously and we work hard to ensure our events are delivered safely," the Great Run Company statement continued.

"All event plans are rigorously assessed and signed off by the Bristol Safety Advisory Group for Events." 

No one can legislate for something like this happening , he could have been home cutting the grass and the same could have happened , still very sad though obviously . 

I ran the HM and it was brutal in that heat, saw at least 8 people either collapsed or unconscious during the event. Only three water stations was nowhere near enough! Saw quite a few city fans which was nice to see though. RIP to the poor lad who passed away. 

53 minutes ago, redkev said:

That hill by the galleries car park was part of the HM route when I done it and that was 10-15 years ago , like you say not nice 

Of course it’s not nice! But if you’ve trained properly it’s still not great but you know you can do it! 

the problem with the HM is once you get into the Queen sq etc bit in town it just gets a bit squeezed. Maybe if it went further up the portway it would be better? 

I did the Bristol half marathon, my one and only, way back. 

Ended in Blaise. My goal was to run the entire course. Remember being gutted that they put a friggin gurt big hill out of Lawrence Weston right at the end of the course. Got three quarters the way up and dropped down a step kerb to cross a road and juddered to a halt. Walked the rest of the hill before the inevitable sprint finish. 

Baking hot that day too.

Sure my dodgy knees have their origins from that day. Don’t think cushioned running shoes had been invented. We were just one evolutionary step up from plimsoles back then! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RedRock said:

I did the Bristol half marathon, my one and only, way back. 

Ended in Blaise. My goal was to run the entire course. Remember being gutted that they put a friggin gurt big hill out of Lawrence Weston right at the end of the course. Got three quarters the way up and dropped down a step kerb to cross a road and juddered to a halt. Walked the rest of the hill before the inevitable sprint finish. 

Baking hot that day too.

Sure my dodgy knees have their origins from that day. Don’t think cushioned running shoes had been invented. We were just one evolutionary step up from plimsoles back then! 

Did you have armed guards going through Lawrence Weston 👀

16 hours ago, NewquayRed said:

I ran the half, weather was brutal and saw a few lads in the black away shirt, not exactly ideal for running in the sun (also saw one poorly fitting rovers shirt)

Lucky they were wearing the Black shirt & not the yellow ones everyone dislikes there would have been a melt down on here if they had 🙈

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, redkev said:

Did you have armed guards going through Lawrence Weston 👀

Lawrence Weston, back in the day, was predominantly City .. so a guard of honour! 

Think it crossed to the dark side post the mid-70’s. 

My school, which had a somewhat notorious (predominantly Gas) mob in the year below, had regular battles in Blaise with their LW counterparts. Think one pitched battle resulted in the first stabbing in modern time gang fights in Bristol. Not something of great merit for the School’s reputation! Probably, why it ended up in ‘special measures’ eventually. Pity, it was a bloody good school - until the headmaster ‘incident’ - with many of my fellow school mates going on to higher education and securing top jobs in their chosen professions.