IGNORED

God I hate plastic premiership fans

Don’t really see the issue any more. People can follow whatever club they want. I don’t think they warrant such an insult. 

Not sure I’d rather see a Rovers shirt either.

We have many fans who don’t, or can’t, go for whatever reason. Not everyone is as lucky as us to have been brought up in an area or raised in a certain way which led to many of us supporting City. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

1 minute ago, David Brent said:

Don’t really see the issue any more. People can follow whatever club they want. I don’t think they warrant such an insult. 

We have many fans who don’t, or can’t, go for whatever reason. Not everyone is as lucky as us to have been brought up in an area or raised in a certain way which led to many of us supporting City. 

Bit of a difference isn't there between someone supporting City because of their familial ties but not being local, versus someone who follows Man City or whoever happened to be winning at the time and has never even tried to go to a game.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

Just now, transfer reader said:

Bit of a difference isn't there between someone supporting City because of their familial ties but not being local, versus someone who follows Man City or whoever happened to be winning at the time and has never even tried to go to a game.

Exactly, there’s a difference. Everyone has their own reason for deciding which team to follow. 

35 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I once had great pleasure in telling a `Man Utd` fan that I`d been to Old Trafford more times than he had as I`d been once.

Back in the day I used to do that to a Derby 'fan' in work. I think he'd seen them play once, and I'd been to The Baseball Ground 3x  at the time, and seen them play us at least 10x in total.

He was from Bristol, and is the brother of Simon Mann who used to do (and might still do) cricket/football commentary.

(According to Wikipedia, Simon is at least a City fan.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sticks 1969 said:

Now this will take some beating…

saw a guy wearing a Man Utd shirt this morning and asked if he was going next Saturday?

he never had a clue what I ment till I said it’s the FA CUP final , unfortunately he is working but would have loved to have gone 

absolute bellend 

Why does this make someone an “absolute bellend” ?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Distortia said:

Who cares? Does this really affect your day-to-day life? 

No; it doesn't but we know how entitled Villa fans are & when you hear Man Utd fans bleating on about how bad TenHag is or Chelsea buying everyone with two legs or Spurs being spursy it's a premier league yawn fest. Its not proper football.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Swede said:

No; it doesn't but we know how entitled Villa fans are & when you hear Man Utd fans bleating on about how bad TenHag is or Chelsea buying everyone with two legs or Spurs being spursy it's a premier league yawn fest. Its not proper football.

Not proper football?

What IS proper football?

1 hour ago, David Brent said:

Exactly, there’s a difference. Everyone has their own reason for deciding which team to follow. 

In 1968 I was at Senior School when Man Utd won the European Cup - the very next day at school numerous other lads ‘supported’ Man Utd - most of them had no idea where Manchester was.

By then I’d been to AG several times so was already a City fan and aged 13 couldn’t understand why these other lads suddenly ‘supported’ Man Utd.

It was a number of years before I realised that these lads wanted the prestige of being associated with a successful club - something that didn’t happen to me until 1976!

It’s still the same these days. Young lads wearing PL club shirts for the exact same reason.

• Like 3

I don’t really care who people support in theory. The only issue I have is with how it affects the little ones. I coached my boys’ under 6’s this year and you can really tell the difference between those who watch premier league football and those who don’t. They are rolling around and asking for free kicks when they are 6!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maltshoveller said:

Not proper football?

What IS proper football?

I am struggling to answer that with predictable Premier league and plastic instant success fans to Manningball and predictable mid table Championship.

I don't know what is proper football anymore. I don't think even FIFA knows what proper football is anymore.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Met a few lads at work who were from north Bristol and they all supported Liverpool and not City or rovers . It was the weirdest thing ever . They all had strong Bristolian accents and were all born and raised in Bristol yet supported a team the other side of the country . 

I hate rovers but I’ve got so much more time for someone who’s from Bristol and supports them rather than some tourist club up north .

• Like 10
  • Flames 2

2 hours ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Back in the day I used to do that to a Derby 'fan' in work. I think he'd seen them play once, and I'd been to The Baseball Ground 3x  at the time, and seen them play us at least 10x in total.

He was from Bristol, and is the brother of Simon Mann who used to do (and might still do) cricket/football commentary.

(According to Wikipedia, Simon is at least a City fan.)

I’ve heard Simon Mann mention that he’s a City fan when he’s been doing cricket commentary 

• Robin 1

26 minutes ago, ChubStixx said:

There was a man utd fan on talksport earlier who I'm convinced was a Bristolian. 

So? My mate is a Man United fan and Bristolian.  Supports them cos of his dad and grandfather.  

We’ve got Liverpool and Man City fans on this forum.  Seems odd to me but each to their own.  Too old to be caring about such matters

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, MrBibs said:

I’ve heard Simon Mann mention that he’s a City fan when he’s been doing cricket commentary 

Who's he a fan of when he's not doing cricket commentary? :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

So? My mate is a Man United fan and Bristolian.  Supports them cos of his dad and grandfather.  

We’ve got Liverpool and Man City fans on this forum.  Seems odd to me but each to their own.  Too old to be caring about such matters

Depends doesn't it? If your mates father and grandfather originated from Manchester then fair enough. 

However if the father and grandfather is just like the son (you) and not from Manchester then the ridicule is worthy. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Depends doesn't it? If your mates father and grandfather originated from Manchester then fair enough. 

However if the father and grandfather is just like the son (you) and not from Manchester then the ridicule is worthy. 

The former.  Congrats on 4 in a row by the way. 

• Hmmm 1

8 hours ago, MrBibs said:

Mann used to speak knowledgeably on Sound of the City quite regularly when Twentyman was still doing it as well. He’s definitely a proper City fan. 

• Thanks 1

I used to get ridiculed in work at Flax being Welsh supporting Cityfans. Regardless that I supported City because my grandfather and most of my mums side of family being Bristolian. They used to say I should support a Welsh club. 
I would have taken it, apart from they were Bristolian Tottenham fans. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, David Brent said:

To be fair, this is a strong point. My lad's been raised away from Bristol (Bucks), so although I tried taking him to games, it didn't happen. He's only really got into football in the last 2-3 years (he's 18) and has now found 'his' team.

Wait for it...

Brighton.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Ridicule? Really? Just because they don't support the team you've decided they should, or in the way you want? 

Why not just let people enjoy things how they want to. This gatekeeping is ridiculous.

Edited by IAmNick
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Keep the Faith said:

I don’t really care who people support in theory. The only issue I have is with how it affects the little ones. I coached my boys’ under 6’s this year and you can really tell the difference between those who watch premier league football and those who don’t. They are rolling around and asking for free kicks when they are 6!

Yup, no one does that outside of the Prem do they?

• Like 1