IGNORED

Joe Williams - New 3 Year Deal - CONFIRMED

Gazred

Makes sense.

Hope we have a Plan B.

Didn’t actually see him as a first choice for us next season but we certainly need a fourth central midfielder to go with Knight, Bird & TGH.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Squad continues to thin out. Perhaps I'm overreacting but..to lose both James, Williams and the know-how even if less playing of King and Weimann in one summer is not ideal.

Completely agree. The lack of experience could really hurt us if Williams goes and we don’t move quickly to replace him.

We seem to be going exclusively for young players, which is great for re-sale value but who is going to bring these players through and mentor them? The likes of James and especially King were great with Scott, Semenyo, Conway and Bell. We really are missing a trick if we don’t keep those types of people around or replace them with similar. In my opinion anyway.

The lack of experience and knowhow at the club, at all levels, really does concern me. 

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Gazred said:

As per title...

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/exclusive-bristol-city-joe-williams-9296976

Could see him being tempted by that one.

Looks like we will soon see how competitive our offer was to Williams. Would be a big loss who else adds that bite and aggression in midfield. I really hope we made an offer that reflected a determination to keep him. But fear with Lansdowns new mantra to try and get it all on the cheap, we might lose him. What a start to our window that would be.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

Looks like we will soon see how competitive our offer was to Williams. Would be a big loss who else adds that bite and aggression in midfield. I really hope we made an offer that reflected a determination to keep him. But fear with Lansdowns new mantra to try and get it all on the cheap, we might lose him. What a start to our window that would be.

If we’re losing out to Preston it’ll definitely be a concern. But I guess it also depends on how happy he is in Bristol as well compared to the pull of moving closer to home.   Interesting that Manning says that his coaching is a reason he may stay……

• Like 1

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

James and Williams in the first instance.

The elder statesman with coaching potential of King.

Least concerning but an elder statesman all the same Weimann.

Doesn't feel a positive trajectory.

Very much agree Pop but as was pointed out to me when I voiced similar concerns we have to wait to see what we end up with.   All this nous and knowledge leaving is a huge concern atm though.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Squad continues to thin out. Perhaps I'm overreacting but..to lose both James, Williams and the know-how even if less playing of King and Weimann in one summer is not ideal.

Had the pleasure of being on @3 Peaps In A PodCast reviewing the Bradford game and made this point. A lot of experienced players leaving the club this summer. The comment of wanting younger players by Lansdown jnr is really alarming. It’s a big step up for Stokes and Murphy next season and an experienced head on the pitch or dressing room can only enhance those two especially. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

It's the 21st of May, there's been about 10 deals done in the EFL so far. I think you need wait and see before hitting the panic button.

• Like 3
  • Flames 2

17 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

It's the 21st of May, there's been about 10 deals done in the EFL so far. I think you need wait and see before hitting the panic button.

Well perhaps some impressive stuff will be salvaged and if we are losing some of the solid base it kinda has to be really.

19 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

You are overreacting. All players you mentioned are on a downward trajectory with Williams being debatable but we don’t know if we can keep him fit. 

Yes we are a younger side but the experience is there. Plenty of games played at this level or the level below which is fine. Just time for O’Leary, Dickie or Vyner to step into bigger leadership roles on the pitch. Bird, TGH and Knight are young midfielders but a lot of games for being younger players. No concern there for me. We need talent in the forward/wide areas. That is the most important thing we need to monitor imo. 

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I think this is what we are gonna see going forward.  The days of a Naismith, James type signing (free with still 2 or 3 good years ahead on paper) are gonna be rare imho.

1 hour ago, Jacki said:

Completely agree. The lack of experience could really hurt us if Williams goes and we don’t move quickly to replace him.

We seem to be going exclusively for young players, which is great for re-sale value but who is going to bring these players through and mentor them? The likes of James and especially King were great with Scott, Semenyo, Conway and Bell. We really are missing a trick if we don’t keep those types of people around or replace them with similar. In my opinion anyway.

The lack of experience and knowhow at the club, at all levels, really does concern me. 

Yep, that’s the risk.  We will have to wait to see how it plays out.

30 minutes ago, mightyreds89 said:

He's definitely off served notice on his place in Bristol. 

Does not surprise me to start hearing rumours.  Will be a very attractive OOC player across many Champ clubs.

28 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

Might be a range of things, money (yes), location, playing style of club, etc, etc.. Lowe’s Preston are a very good fit.  Schumacher’s Stoke might be next to show their hand in the rumour mill.

14 minutes ago, daored said:

Had the pleasure of being on @3 Peaps In A PodCast reviewing the Bradford game and made this point. A lot of experienced players leaving the club this summer. The comment of wanting younger players by Lansdown jnr is really alarming. It’s a big step up for Stokes and Murphy next season and an experienced head on the pitch or dressing room can only enhance those two especially. 

I certainly picked up on that from JL.  It doesn’t surprise either, from TD downwards I think they want young players.  JL just reinforcing the message.

13 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

Not sure it’s that many:

- Viktor Johansson Stoke

- Mike Tresor (loan with obligation) Burnley (tbc)

- Corey Blackett-Taylor (pre-arranged loan to transfer) Derby C

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

You are overreacting. All players you mentioned are on a downward trajectory with Williams being debatable but we don’t know if we can keep him fit. 

Yes we are a younger side but the experience is there. Plenty of games played at this level or the level below which is fine. Just time for O’Leary, Dickie or Vyner to step into bigger leadership roles on the pitch. Bird, TGH and Knight are young midfielders but a lot of games for being younger players. No concern there for me. We need talent in the forward/wide areas. That is the most important thing we need to monitor imo. 

On one level I can see it, on another it feels too much too soon.

19 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

On one level I can see it, on another it feels too much too soon.

Surely that depends who you replace the departing players with? I know we won't replace all three but if Williams goes we will. If we bring in better than we had then it's not too soon. If your worried about experience.. I keep saying it but I think fans are overlooking how much experience we have in the building. We have Wells on nearly 400 appearances. Dickie, Vyner, Naismith, Knight and Cornick on well over 150 appearances in the Championship. O'Leary, Pring and Bird on over a 100. Most others hovering around 80. That's just Championship that's not counting all the EFL, SPL or competitive league action they've accrued. Just because they didn't play for Leicester doesn't make that experience less valuable.

Edited by RedRoss
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

Surely that depends who you replace the departing players with? I know we won't replace all three but if Williams goes we will. If we bring in better than we had then it's not too soon. If your worried about experience.. I keep saying it but I think fans are overlooking how much experience we have in the building. We have Wells on nearly 400 appearances. Dickie, Vyner, Naismith, Knight and Cornick on well over 150 appearances in the Championship. O'Leary, Pring and Bird on over a 100. Most others hovering around 80. That's just Championship that's not counting all the EFL, SPL or competitive league action they've accrued. Just because they didn't play for Leicester doesn't make that experience less valuable.

Experience of getting promoted is much more beneficial than experience of battling relegation or fighting to finish 11th.

• Like 3

Just now, KegCity said:

Experience of getting promoted is much more beneficial than experience of battling relegation or fighting to finish 11th.

Where's the proof that's the case? Plenty of teams get promoted without promotion experience. Also do you mean promotion experience to the Premiership specifically or generally in different leagues. Ipswich didn't have that experience if so, Luton didn't have that? There's so many more examples. I think it's a falacy. Good players get promoted when there's enough of them in the team. Just having experience isn't the answer. Its an oversimplified way of saying that's the key to promotion when I disagree.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Redrascal2 said:

Williams has certainly had some very good games, particularly when we have been live on Sky, but for me he has also had some very poor games. If we can get him to sign a deal that's good for both sides then fine to have him as part of the squad, but equally would not be upset if he moved on.

• Like 2

Closer to home will be the big pull for Preston but ambition, infrastructure and wages must be more attractive here 

Geniunley think if Williams does leave, I can see Matty James resigning (like baker did on reduced terms) or even at a long shot Alan Browne coming here with our Irish links  

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I think it's totally understandable to be concerned about that. It's a risk, and they need to get this right.

• Thanks 1

I, and others, often bemoan our lack of players in the prime of their careers and Williams falls into that bracket. I felt last season he was approaching the form that he was in for Bolton and Wigan so it’d be a blow to lose him on a free, especially to Preston, but I get it from a geographical viewpoint. Tinnion should’ve had this sewn up six months ago IMO.

Edited by tin
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Be interesting to see what he decides……my gut feeling is he will be off.

Me too.  This doesn’t feel like agent talk to force a better deal…he’s had his offer, we aren’t going back with a fresh one.

• Flames 1

43 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

Where's the proof that's the case? Plenty of teams get promoted without promotion experience. Also do you mean promotion experience to the Premiership specifically or generally in different leagues. Ipswich didn't have that experience if so, Luton didn't have that? There's so many more examples. I think it's a falacy. Good players get promoted when there's enough of them in the team. Just having experience isn't the answer. Its an oversimplified way of saying that's the key to promotion when I disagree.

Where's the proof that having experience being successful is more beneficial than being unsuccessful? I doubt there's any concrete proof because how can you measure it? Those crucial periods where squads are under immense pressure (such as play-off matches) are where individuals such as James, King or dare I say it, Pearson are invaluable because they've been in that pressurised position of being on the cusp of the Premier League and will find it less daunting than say, O'Leary, who's experience to date is picking the ball out of the net for City every week.

Obviously it's not the key to promotion, I never said it was and you're right that not every club has that experience. Of course everyone has their first promotion, but I think it's silly to suggest that having players who have experience of what it takes to get promoted is the same as having players who have experience of going life and death for a top half finish. It's definitely a loss, it won't stop us being promoted but it's a real shame to lose several experienced players all at once.

"Good players get promoted when there's enough of them in the team" is spot on, however we're obsessed with selling players as soon as they get half decent so having experience mixed in with up and coming young talents seems a more realistic way of going up than building one of the six best squads in the league.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RedRoss said:

It can depend of course, but thinking about pathways, age ranges, natural succession I'd have liked have seen..

King- either go or stay as player coach.

Weimann, thanks and farewell.

James- 2 year contract, becomes the senior leader. Maybe more of a back seat in Year 2.

Williams- becomes a leader in waiting, 3 years. Peak.

Knight, Bird, TGH- all pushing and growing but steadily.

See Murphy too, next notch or two down.

Oh and Naismith able to cover both midfield and CB if and when fit.

• Like 1