IGNORED

Kompany - Bayern Munich manager? (Merged)

BCFCGav

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11890/13141309/vincent-kompany-burnley-boss-is-bayern-munich-s-preferred-choice-to-become-new-head-coach-sky-in-germany

You would have to say it’s a fairly “left field” appointment. Leading a team to relegation from the Premier League to becoming manager at a 5-time European champion club that prior to this season had won 11 league titles in a row? The odds on that even a week ago must have been pretty high.

In some ways it’s even more baffling now, given that Pochettino has left Chelsea, is more experienced, and has a far more impressive CV, including getting Spurs to a Champions League Final, as well as his time at PSG, winning both Ligue 1 and the Coupe de France. He even had a greater than 50% win rate at Chelsea and achieved qualification for European football next season, despite the mess the owners have made of things.

• The title was changed to Kompany - Bayern Munich manager? (Merged)
12 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11890/13141309/vincent-kompany-burnley-boss-is-bayern-munich-s-preferred-choice-to-become-new-head-coach-sky-in-germany

You would have to say it’s a fairly “left field” appointment. Leading a team to relegation from the Premier League to becoming manager at a 5-time European champion club that prior to this season had won 11 league titles in a row? The odds on that even a week ago must have been pretty high.

In some ways it’s even more baffling now, given that Pochettino has left Chelsea, is more experienced, and has a far more impressive CV, including getting Spurs to a Champions League Final, as well as his time at PSG, winning both Ligue 1 and the Coupe de France. He even had a greater than 50% win rate at Chelsea and achieved qualification for European football next season, despite the mess the owners have made of things.

There is some similarity between Bayern and Chelsea in that the manager has limited power over recruitment. Tuchel turned down the offer to stay for that reason. So it probably wouldn't have suited Poch either.

Presumably Kompany is prepared to accept a lack of control. He certainly seems to be failing upwards though.

• Like 2

Kompany to Bayern seems a goer then. Burnley enter a raft of EFL clubs in the market for a manager. Lots of pieces still to be moved, surely us and Liam won’t ever get caught up in it?

Another interesting twist today is McKenna apparently turning down fresh terms with Ipswich amid interest from other clubs, possibly including Chelsea!

Birmingham have potentially found their man in Alex Neil, despite Brum fans seeming to think they could have their pick of any manager in the world… you’re League 1 fellas. Humble yourselves.

Ten Hag also possibly gone. I can’t remember the managerial market ever being in utter chaos but that’s how it feels right now!

4 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

And they all seem to be falling over themselves to appoint McKenna as the new saviour. Amazing!

Massive if he goes. Luton, Sheff U and Burnley have showed Ipswich the size of their task next season. Now they’re losing the man whose led them their with back to back promotions. Get the replacement wrong and next season could be an utter disaster for them (🤞🤞🤞). 

45 minutes ago, petehinton said:

1. **** me, his agent deserves all the money he earns. How’s he managed to blag that?

2. Wonder if that makes things easier or more complicated re signing Twine on a perm. 

2 was my first thought as well! In fact, the only thing that really interests me about it!

I'd guess in the short term holds up any decisions from Burnley - they'll want the new manager to decide. But who knows.....!!

44 minutes ago, Fpcity said:

A lot of modern managers have the gift of gab and know what chairman etc nowadays wants to hear. 

Yes. Rosenior is another.

Some managers seem to not entirely fail upwards but rise without trace when they don't merit it.

Kompany to Bayern is ridiculous. Whatever next, Joey Barton to Burnley?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

9 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Yet I can't see Bayern changing their approach. We'll see I guess.

Kompany is a control freak, oversees literally everything to a greater extent then a normal manager (as opposed to a head coach) would.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Kompany is a control freak, oversees literally everything to a greater extent then a normal manager (as opposed to a head coach) would.

Even made the plan look like him!

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

I can see some entertaining disputes with the all-powerful Bayern hierarchy then!

15 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Which is why the chronic mismanagement re scattergun recruitment and failure of Burnley’s season is his and his alone.

Bayern may win the Bundesliga next year - Leverkuesen can’t have as good a season and Bayern have inherent quality. But if what you say is right - and I have no reason to disbelieve - then he should be nowhere near that job based on what happened under his “control” at Burnley.

Call him Vince King and he doesn’t touch that job. Correctly.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Which is why the chronic mismanagement re scattergun recruitment and failure of Burnley’s season is his and his alone.

Bayern may win the Bundesliga next year - Leverkuesen can’t have as good a season and Bayern have inherent quality. But if what you say is right - and I have no reason to disbelieve - then he should be nowhere near that job based on what happened under his “control” at Burnley.

Call him Vince King and he doesn’t touch that job. Correctly.

You shit on what's happened there regularly but the plan was consistent by large and not scattergun, you will get a couple of things wrong when you recruit 15 players in a season but there was a plan of generally recruiting younger players with value which can be developed & hope you've got enough to stay up. People quote the spending £100m thing, is that bad if you then make £125m back in sales if they leave this summer? Not many of Burnley's players would have decreased in value this season because of the exposure those players have been given by playing in the PL. Despite the £100m spent that squad was still a good £150m short of squad value of last years 17th team, as said in a different thread the value in squads is just becoming too much for newly promoted teams to compete with. Frankly the tactical changes in Burnley's style of play came too late in the season whereas if the season had started with them there would have been a good chance of staying up. Not to add the fact Burnley often got shafted by VAR last season, Dermot Gallagher on ref watch on Monday mornings regularly saying so. 

8 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

You shit on what's happened there regularly but the plan was consistent by large and not scattergun, you will get a couple of things wrong when you recruit 15 players in a season but there was a plan of generally recruiting younger players with value which can be developed & hope you've got enough to stay up. People quote the spending £100m thing, is that bad if you then make £125m back in sales if they leave this summer? Not many of Burnley's players would have decreased in value this season because of the exposure those players have been given by playing in the PL. Despite the £100m spent that squad was still a good £150m short of squad value of last years 17th team, as said in a different thread the value in squads is just becoming too much for newly promoted teams to compete with. Frankly the tactical changes in Burnley's style of play came too late in the season whereas if the season had started with them there would have been a good chance of staying up. Not to add the fact Burnley often got shafted by VAR last season, Dermot Gallagher on ref watch on Monday mornings regularly saying so. 

I’ll absolutely shit on it regularly. You recruit 15 players in a close season then it takes a miracle worker to get that into anywhere near a coherent team. Kompany isn’t that miracle worker. The fact is that £100m spent wisely should give you half a chance at staying up, and they were nowhere near it at any stage - VAR or otherwise. And 15 signings is scattergun. It’s throw shit at the wall and see what sticks. If we sign 15 players this summer how will you view that?

The £100m spent outweighed what Edwards spent. What Bournemouth spent when going up. What Brentford spent when going up. What Brighton spent when going up. The game hasn’t changed that much - £20m a player on 5 players to add to a title winning squad should be enough for any manager. And the fact it was nowhere near enough just says where he is. And if his tactical change didn’t happen until late that just shows naivety.

Look through Burnley opinions - the majority aren’t sorry to see him go.

He’s fallen up with no good cause. Brilliant footballer no doubt, but as a manager? Deserves to be “shit on”.

1 hour ago, BCFCGav said:

It’s utterly out of control 🤣

I was saying a couple of weeks ago that it was a quite unusual season in the Prem for managerial changes. 
Only 3 clubs sacked managers during the season - Sheff Utd, Forest & Palace. 
Thats a very low number. Compared to the championship this season which I think was 14 clubs changing manager - some more than once. 

I felt that it likely meant a very busy summer for management changes. 

31 minutes ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

Only in football do people get rewarded for failure - imagine out of all the managers they were linked with they ended up with Kompany 🤦‍♂️

I read that several well established and high profile managers turned the Bayern  job down.