IGNORED

did Bristol City actually invent VAR?

This was sent to me,makes very interesting reading,viewing.

Re Simon Jenkins’ article (For a bird’s eye view of British conservatism, look at sport. No wonder VAR in football is in trouble, 16 May), I think I could claim to be first to use video to record a disputed offside decision.
On 22 September 1973, Bristol City was at home to Sheffield Wednesday. In my role as manager of Rediffusion’s Bristol Channel, a small new community television station, I had been invited by City to show the possible use of video in training.
Trying out different places to record, by chance I was exactly opposite the incident. The linesman’s flag stayed down and City’s Keith Fear went on to score.
It was not until afterwards that I saw what my camera had captured. The decision was right: goal. In the crowded club office after the match, I replayed the tape to repeated requests – from both teams and their managers, then the linesman and the referee, then the referee’s assessor – and finally the Bristol Evening Post, which normally ignored our station.
For them, a replay was on the condition that their report properly named us. Monday’s paper honoured the deal, their report headlined “TV proves it – Fear goal was onside”.
Prof Peter Lewis
London Metropolitan University

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

Hence that old joke about a City fan spotting (name any Rovers manager during the 70s and 80s) coming out of Rediffusion with a boxed colour TV.

The City fan asks him what's in the box.

"I've got this new colour TV for the team."

The City fan replies,"Sounds like you got a great deal."

• Haha 9

Mention of Rediffusion reminds me of my only visit to their small Blackboy Hill branch in the mid 70's.

Who should be in extended animated conversation with the assistant at the counter as I perused the various screens but Roger Malone himself.

Curiously, a second sighting in a matter of weeks as he had been the guest speaker at our weekly 6th form lectures when, inexplicably, my question of how to would compare the various merits of Atyeo (who I never saw) Galley, and my then current hero Cheesley was not chosen to be answered.

Obviously by far the most the most interesting of a series of otherwise tedious lectures, and he seemed a fine fellow in person, although I must admit that didn't stop me joining in the merciless stick directed at him from the crowd on the pitch that time he was stuck up the gantry.

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Mention of Rediffusion reminds me of my only visit to their small Blackboy Hill branch in the mid 70's.

Who should be in extended animated conversation with the assistant at the counter as I perused the various screens but Roger Malone himself.

Curiously, a second sighting in a matter of weeks as he had been the guest speaker at our weekly 6th form lectures when, inexplicably, my question of how to would compare the various merits of Atyeo (who I never saw) Galley, and my then current hero Cheesley was not chosen to be answered.

Obviously by far the most the most interesting of a series of otherwise tedious lectures, and he seemed a fine fellow in person, although I must admit that didn't stop me joining in the merciless stick directed at him from the crowd on the pitch that time he was stuck up the gantry.

Our good one was David Prowse. 

2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

We all agree.........¶¶