IGNORED

Rooney

pillred

8 hours ago, pillred said:

Looks like he may be returning to management, Plymouth, I didn't see that coming. Wayne Rooney: Former England striker set for managerial talks with Plymouth Argyle - BBC Sport

Whether he returns, and whether that comes about, depends on Plymouth though……..and frankly they’d be effing mad to do that, wouldn’t they? 😂

• Like 1

I don't know about DC United as transfers work a bit different over there but in England i don't think he's paid for one player, having worked under financial restrictions in both jobs.

Not saying he's any good but i don't think it's entirely fair to judge when he hasn't had the opportunity to properly build a side as most managers would.

Maybe it works, maybe he's gone by Xmas but it's a chance for him at a healthy club for a change.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Gazred said:

I don't know about DC United as transfers work a bit different over there but in England i don't think he's paid for one player, having worked under financial restrictions in both jobs.

Not saying he's any good but i don't think it's entirely fair to judge when he hasn't had the opportunity to properly build a side as most managers would.

Maybe it works, maybe he's gone by Xmas but it's a chance for him at a healthy club for a change.

I’m pretty open-minded on this.  I thought he did a decent job at Derby in dire circumstances.  Brum was on a hiding to nothing in terms of how and when it happened, but he did very badly.

Plymouth is a good structured club, Dewsnip knows him from Everton.

The only real problem for Rooney is are their enough Grannies around?

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

Rooney looks to play a style that is completely different to how Birmingham played, putting him there mid season when Eustace was doing so well was clueless, for me it was more the owners fault but I'm sure the fans that watch the games didn't like him much either. Likewise I always questioned that maybe the 'success' at Derby they had for a while was a lot to do with people like Liam Rosenior in the background. Plymouth had relegation form in the 2nd half of last season so it's a tricky job, I would say appointing Rooney is too big of a risk although would like to see him do well.

• Like 2

Just now, Davefevs said:

I’m pretty open-minded on this.  I thought he did a decent job at Derby in dire circumstances.  Brum was on a hiding to nothing in terms of how and when it happened, but he did very badly.

I noticed it would be 4 scouse managers in a row for Plymouth if they brought in Rooney which I thought was a bit unusual. Never heard of this Dewsnip or the Everton connection but it all makes sense now. 😁 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Devon is basically a retirement home Dave 😉 

With Rooney I think there is a manager in there somewhere and maybe Plymouth could unlock that with them being a stable club.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gazred said:

At Derby true.

At Birmingham he was out before he could! As in he was sacked by 2nd or 3rd January 2024 having  been hired in mid October 2023- transfer window was shut for most of his time there.

26 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Grannies was 20 years ago, it'll be great grannies by now.

• Haha 4

33 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The only real problem for Rooney is are there enough Grannies around?

Bournemouth he would do ok , deffo Eastbourne if they had a side 

Got to respect that Rooney is taking difficult/non-glamourous jobs. His comments on managing on the Stick to Football podcast were interesting, he clearly wants to learn about that side of the game and be successful.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Denbury Red said:

As someone living 30 miles north of Plymouth - no one I have spoken to down here is in favour - everyone thinks it would be a disaster!!

When Foster was sacked I had a look at their Fans Forum.

One thread was titled: I don't care who the next manager is as long as it isn't another Scouser!! 😆

A disaster waiting to happen if Plymouth do appoint Rooney so short sighted the name doesn’t deliver results. 
The appointment would see Plymouth as  one of the favourites for  relegation that’s for sure. 

Vividly remember the “they’ll be the next club to overtake us” posts on here. 

Fact is if you think getting managers & players to move to Bristol is tough, Plymouth is a really very difficult sell & two of their last 3 have walked out on them, the third didn’t work out.

Really tough job, Rooney actually did ok at Derby, but he’s going to find out soon that players won’t want to go there.

13 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Vividly remember the “they’ll be the next club to overtake us” posts on here. 

Fact is if you think getting managers & players to move to Bristol is tough, Plymouth is a really very difficult sell & two of their last 3 have walked out on them, the third didn’t work out.

Really tough job, Rooney actually did ok at Derby, but he’s going to find out soon that players won’t want to go there.

I actually quite like the Barbican area and around the town , but that’s about it most of the residential areas really are nothing special , just short of what I would call shiteholes

10 minutes ago, redkev said:

I actually quite like the Barbican area and around the town , but that’s about it most of the residential areas really are nothing special , just short of what I would call shiteholes

A bit harsh. I lived in Plymouth for 4 years and while the Barbican area is it's gem most areas are OK, and some are very nice. The problem is not the housing or the areas but the people. Plymothians are very cold and there's every chance you can walk into a packed pub and the only conversation you'll have all night is with the barman serving your drinks. It was often said that the only way you get invited in to a Plymouth man's home is if you're going to buy it. 

As for Rooney, I couldn't care less. 

Edited by RoystonFoote'snephew
Added content

11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Well. I can see the attraction for him…

IMG_2807.jpeg

• Haha 3

I find Bristolians very similar aswell - pretty standoffish , I travel all over the country with my job and find most places north of that shite hole ( Birmingham ) to be much more welcoming and friendly then us in Bristol generally 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, iamalagerdrinker said:

Set to be announced tomorrow.. 3 year deal rumoured. 

I'm already checking the odds for Plymouth to be relegated next season................just wondering how many in the last 20 years or so...........   Ex England footballers have made a success of club management?  Lampard and Gerrard are 2 who spring to mind..........but neither have even vaguely succeeded,  then i am     struggling to think of any?