IGNORED

This Day , 1986.

I wrote this for Richard Latham’s book on the day - not sure if I’ve posted it here before. But just a fantastic day and full of memories.

And I say once again - WHERE IS OUR TRIBUTE TO TERRY COOPER THAT WAS PROMISED!!!

——

In 1986 8 of my family trooped to Wembley. I was 8, and my favourite player was the skipper Bobby Hutchinson. However, I only admired him. My seven year old sister, Zoe, absolutely adored Alan Walsh, getting his autograph before every game so her book was just full of ‘AW’ signatures. 

Even at eight, I knew Wembley was a special place, and was beside myself with excitement to be going. So was Zoe, however how she was going to get Walshies signature on the day was going to be a challenge in itself.

We all know how the game ended. Strangely, I never thought we’d lose - I think Hereford finished me off. However, come full time we’d won but Zoe didn’t have Walshies scribble so how could the day be complete?

Cue the lap of honour. Through the fences, and in a sea of red, Walshie spotted this girl who’d badgered him all season. He didn’t sign for her though - he did better and passed over the fence a battered orange shin pad with “AW” on it that Phil Neal hadn’t got near for 90 minutes.

Zoe’s long since got over Alan Walsh and City. She may not even remember the pad. But for that minute at Wembley, Walshie made her the feel like the absolute world.
  • Like 10
  • Flames 2
  • Robin 1

16 minutes ago, Mattredrobin said:

Wow great pictures I would've only been about 6 months old, 2015 my son was born and he was about 6 months old when we went to Wembley when we beat Walsall.

Another JPT in the bag when your son has a son then 😄

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

I wrote this for Richard Latham’s book on the day - not sure if I’ve posted it here before. But just a fantastic day and full of memories.

And I say once again - WHERE IS OUR TRIBUTE TO TERRY COOPER THAT WAS PROMISED!!!

——

In 1986 8 of my family trooped to Wembley. I was 8, and my favourite player was the skipper Bobby Hutchinson. However, I only admired him. My seven year old sister, Zoe, absolutely adored Alan Walsh, getting his autograph before every game so her book was just full of ‘AW’ signatures. 

Even at eight, I knew Wembley was a special place, and was beside myself with excitement to be going. So was Zoe, however how she was going to get Walshies signature on the day was going to be a challenge in itself.

We all know how the game ended. Strangely, I never thought we’d lose - I think Hereford finished me off. However, come full time we’d won but Zoe didn’t have Walshies scribble so how could the day be complete?

Cue the lap of honour. Through the fences, and in a sea of red, Walshie spotted this girl who’d badgered him all season. He didn’t sign for her though - he did better and passed over the fence a battered orange shin pad with “AW” on it that Phil Neal hadn’t got near for 90 minutes.

Zoe’s long since got over Alan Walsh and City. She may not even remember the pad. But for that minute at Wembley, Walshie made her the feel like the absolute world.

Who do we talk to about the Terry Cooper memorial? 
I’ve mentioned it plenty of times. 
When you think of the fuss made of remembering beating the worst Liverpool team anyone can remember… it’s frankly insulting that Cooper is forgotten. 

• Like 7

39 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

When you think of the fuss made of remembering beating the worst Liverpool team anyone can remember… it’s frankly insulting that Cooper is forgotten. 

I guess it helps in respect of the Liverpool commemorations if you’re in a senior position at the club and you can influence a celebration of one item over another….

I think in terms of Cooper, it may well be one for the SC&T or the FPA in the first part? 

• Like 1

What a day! We were back and punching again. I never thought I would see my club, little Bristol City, lift a trophy at Wembley (and it was more special then not like now with every man and his dog playing there).

I, along with many other grown men, had something in my eye at the end of the game. I just stood on the terraces and blubbed like a baby and didn`t care who saw me.

God bless you Terry, you made us believe again.

• Like 10
  • Flames 2

What a day.

18 years old and a day in the capital. What a day it was. Minibus up the M4 along with countless others. I have never seen so many coaches and minibuses as that day. Unfortunately 4 out of the 12 on the minibus are now no longer with us. A special day it was.

My first ever game day after my 9th birthday- my dad drove up in a brand new D plate cavalier SRI- pretty fast and half decent car back in those days….was playing for Avon Athletic juniors at the time and was pissong about supporting either Chelsea or Man Utd at this time- went to this game and never turned back as a city fan….pain in the arse to get out of the ground and home afterwards from memory though 

6 hours ago, Mendip City said:

Neil Palmer from The Former Player's Association has been reading your comments with interest, and asked me to pass on his email address for details of the Terry Cooper Memorial, Neil.palmer@bcfcformerplayers.co.uk

Best Regards 

Mark Tovey 

Edited by Curr Avon
  • Like 1

My first ever visit to Wembley and my favourite 

Walking up the steps into the stadium and the sheer awe at the size of the place and then seeing our half of the stadium packed was incredible 

The match couldn’t have gone any better and was the kick start of our resurgence back up the divisions 

It was a joy to watch us play with 2 wingers and yes football and formations have changed but as an 18 year old at the time and having seen us play in the 1st Division and then plummet to the 4th it was tough but the journey back provided great memories 

• Like 2

Great day , I arranged 2 coaches from our local pub and sorted all the tickets for every one , got on the coach and handed all the tickets out only to find I never had one for myself , obviously sorted it but can’t remember how , but do remember the 2 ladies from Bristol with there Bristols 👀

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

For me I don't care about the other stuff, Liverpool , Leeds or what ever . TC came in at our lowest and dragged us up , he organised the Club , he did everything from driving around the Country scouting to moving players possessions. He sold tickets , he put his own money in the Club and he even had the awareness to bring Jordan in with thoughts of him taking over. 
He has been the biggest, most influential figure in the Club's history . Yes Lansdown put money in, Dolman built the Club up and invested time, money and energy, but Terry Cooper did everything, literally everything to build the Club from rock bottom, and that there is nothing to acknowledge how big a part he played in our history is nothing short of travesty . 

One of the reasons why I don’t bother anymore.

A disgrace that TC is not recognised at AG. **** the Lansdownes.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, redkev said:

Great day , I arranged 2 coaches from our local pub and sorted all the tickets for every one , got on the coach and handed all the tickets out only to find I never had one for myself , obviously sorted it but can’t remember how , but do remember the 2 ladies from Bristol with there Bristols 👀

Was that the famous strippers?

A few more pics of the day and our dodgy van. God knows how it got there and back!! Some of my best memories following City was in the 80s and early 90s. The club was down and nearly out. TC walked in to the club and turned it around. Some great memories following City. Away games at Hereford, Aldershot, Chester just to name three that stick in the memory. Other games such as Newport away when we did not know if the club would survive. Epic days. The club and fans were so close knit in those days.

7CA6B26F-4272-4635-B4D0-0F5C34D7A48D.jpeg

Edited by fisherrich
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, fisherrich said:

Was that the famous strippers?

Those strippers really took the edge off of losing the Penalty shoot out to Mansfield. 
I did have a picture but it got lost in computer hell somewhere. 

51 minutes ago, fisherrich said:

A few more pics of the day and our dodgy van. God knows how it got there and back!! Some of my best memories following City was in the 80s and early 90s. The club was down and nearly out. TC walked in to the club and turned it around. Some great memories following City. Away games at Hereford, Aldershot, Chester just to name three that stick in the memory. Other games such as Newport away when we did not know if the club would survive. Epic days. The club and fans were so close knit in those days.

7CA6B26F-4272-4635-B4D0-0F5C34D7A48D.jpeg

We were obviously about at the same time fish , those are some of my great memories too , I will chuck in the 7-0 or 1 can’t remember defeat at Northampton , you had to be a proper fan then to stick watching city , god imagine those days and how down in the dumps we were this forum would be in meltdown 😂😂😂 , oh well the thought of all those away games on dodgy coaches / mini buses drinking flagons of dry blackthorn cider , on shitty old football specials and getting involved in all sorts of shenanigans to the new life of shuffling around in my slippers and watching emmerdale 🙈😂😂😂, currently sat in the garden with a cuppa listening to the birds tweeting away , god those were the days and I wouldn’t change it for the world - ah another York away Ralph Milne winner in the last minute soaked through . 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Those strippers really took the edge off of losing the Penalty shoot out to Mansfield. 
I did have a picture but it got lost in computer hell somewhere. 

Wasn’t the strippers the Bolton game , I could be wrong 

It was a magical day. I was 12 and it was my first trip to Wembley - I never thought I’d see City there. I got the train with my mum, dad and sister (the females spent the day shopping). When we got the bus home from the station and walked along our road with our hats and flags I remember an old man was at his window waving and punching the air. That win meant so much. 

Terry Cooper’s tears in his post-match interview say it all about that day. I will always love him for what he did for our club. 

• Like 1