IGNORED

Who would you say is the greatest Bristolian to play for City

gavlin

In my lifetime, Chris Garland.

Depends whether being born in Nailsea counts!

Edited by downendcity
  • Like 1

With any question like this the answer “Billy Wedlock” has to be discounted. Thats not to belittle his achievements but the fact is anyone who is posting today didn’t see Wedlock play and therefore has no opinion on how good he was that isn’t a second or third hand one. And as video isn’t really markedly available you can’t fall back on that.

So, for me it has to be someone you’ve seen play live or at worse significant taped coverage. As I started watching in 1984, then for me the answer has to be based on the level played at both here and elsewhere, and performance at said level, Bobby Decordova-Reid.

(Honourable mentions for Tommy Doherty, Louis Carey, Joe Bryan)

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

Jantzen Derrick

One for the oldies amongst us. Could be frustrating and inconsistent, but very, very skilful and watching his football intelligence allied to that of John Atyeo was something I have never forgotten. Went from City to Paris St. German in an era when it was rare for English footballers to play in Europe.

Totally agree with honourable mentions to a number of others, including Reid, Bryan and just possibly Doherty, but I honestly believe Jantzen was the more gifted. I once spent part of an evening in a pub talking to Geoff Merrick, when he and JD were both were still in their playing careers, and he could not speak highly enough of him. My personal boyhood hero.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

With any question like this the answer “Billy Wedlock” has to be discounted. Thats not to belittle his achievements but the fact is anyone who is posting today didn’t see Wedlock play and therefore has no opinion on how good he was that isn’t a second or third hand one. And as video isn’t really markedly available you can’t fall back on that.

So, for me it has to be someone you’ve seen play live or at worse significant taped coverage. As I started watching in 1984, then for me the answer has to be based on the level played at both here and elsewhere, and performance at said level, Bobby Decordova-Reid.

How can you discount 26 England caps?  You don’t need to have seen him to know no other Bristol,City player comes close in terms of “our greatest Bristolian player”

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Malago said:

How can you discount 26 England caps?  You don’t need to have seen him to know no other Bristol,City player comes close in terms of “our greatest Bristolian player”

It’s not discounting his caps - what it’s saying is that if you think he’s the greatest player it’s based on someone else’s opinion (in this case the England selectors at the time). I’ve got no doubt he has got the greatest achievements of any Bristolian player but I can’t comment on his ability because I never saw the bloke kick a ball!

Just now, Silvio Dante said:

It’s not discounting his caps - what it’s saying is that if you think he’s the greatest player it’s based on someone else’s opinion (in this case the England selectors at the time). I’ve got no doubt he has got the greatest achievements of any Bristolian player but I can’t comment on his ability because I never saw the bloke kick a ball!

There’s a difference between greatest and best.  Is he Bristol City’s best ever play? Don’t know, as you said we’ve never saw him play.  However, imo greatest is measured by achievements and in that score there’s no argument. 

Who is England’s greatest striker?  I would say Geoff Hurst, because he scored a hat trick in a World Cup final.  Was he better player than Lineker, Rooney, Kane?

Probably not.

5 minutes ago, Malago said:

There’s a difference between greatest and best.  Is he Bristol City’s best ever play? Don’t know, as you said we’ve never saw him play.  However, imo greatest is measured by achievements and in that score there’s no argument. 

Who is England’s greatest striker?  I would say Geoff Hurst, because he scored a hat trick in a World Cup final.  Was he better player than Lineker, Rooney, Kane?

Probably not.

For me, Geoff Hurst was not even the greatest striker in the 1966 world cup squad. Fortunately Sir Alf made the correct call.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Malago said:

Arthur Milton and I did see him play . Only it was at Neville Road. 
Best all rounder , played football for England and cricket for England.

Edited by gavlin

Gary Collier in terms of players I actually saw play.

Honourable mentions to Merrick, Tainton, Cashley, Rodgers, Fear, Bryan & Decordova-Reid.

Discounting Cheese, because he was born in North Somerset I believe.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

Jantzen Derrick

One for the oldies amongst us. Could be frustrating and inconsistent, but very, very skilful and watching his football intelligence allied to that of John Atyeo was something I have never forgotten. Went from City to Paris St. German in an era when it was rare for English footballers to play in Europe.

Totally agree with honourable mentions to a number of others, including Reid, Bryan and just possibly Doherty, but I honestly believe Jantzen was the more gifted. I once spent part of an evening in a pub talking to Geoff Merrick, when he and JD were both were still in their playing careers, and he could not speak highly enough of him. My personal boyhood hero.

I'd echo this and is for me the most skilful footballer ever to wear a City shirt (eat your heart out Dzeikanowski) but honourable mentions must go to (Sir) Geoffrey Merrick and Trevor Tainton. 

15 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

Louis Carey hasn’t been mentioned yet. On appearances alone he’s got to be up there. Also a leader on the pitch and always committed… 

Ahem.

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said: