IGNORED

Danny Wilson On Radio 5 Tonight

Maesknoll Red

Hasn't mentioned City at all yet, nor anything on Tommy Doc, just going on about having patience with a new manager

wilson hasn't mentioned city true, but Craig Brown (ex preston manager) did just talk about his disbelief at the sacking of Wilson after such a good year - the perception from outside the club is very different to that of some fans!

No course not, but what would you prefer steady progress or do a Watford and go straight to the prem in 2 seasons and go back down again and almost go out of business

Indeed, steady progress was made in DW's first three seasons but most definitely not continued in the fourth. In fact I think we started moving backwards. The football we played last season was pretty crap most of the time and Wilson became far too cautious as was finally reflected in his squad selection at Cardiff. I dont necessarily believe the only other option was/is to do a'watford', is it?

No course not, but what would you prefer steady progress or do a Watford and go straight to the prem in 2 seasons and go back down again and almost go out of business

Since Watford are still in Division 1 (Championship, whatever), I think I'd prefer to have done what they did than what we've done!

From what I heard it sounded like a typical Danny Wilson interview - he didn't really seem to say anything of note at all! Understandably he didn't want to really comment on the end of his City tenure, although there were a couple of comments about sticking with managers etc.

Tommy wasn't mentioned at all, but since he's not in the squad that's not really surprising.

Danny made a few comments about city without being direct , he said:

"Some of THESE clubs are unrealistic" and he was saying about how important it is to keep your backroom staff and some PEOPLE(ie steve l) don't understand that. Sounded a tad bitter if you ask me danny.

I worry that DW (with a career in football) is more likely to be right about the need for backroom staff in a football club than SL (with a career in financial services) is.

As I've posted previously, over the past 12-18 months, SL's business has seen the departure of experienced managers and technical staff and seen them replaced with youthful internal appointments. This works when you are a massive firm of independent financial advisers because there are currently product providers (ie insurance companies) keen to receive their support who provide the technical resource and training 'free of charge'. It is a business model that works well when there are others who will freely fill in the gaps but I cannot see that it is a business model that can be applied to a football club.

I hope I'm wrong, but the continued weakening of the backroom staff seen again today really worries me.

is it though?? or is it 5 defeats in a row and maybe some "other" business as well??

There have rumours Hollowhead is on his way out and he didnt lose 5 in a row... It may be ladies football but the success and failurs are still the same, if not more harsh!

Who has actually gone? Correct me if I'm wrong but so far I make it:

Frank Barlow, a good and respected coach.

Women's 1st team coach, who was struggling anyway.

Club Psychologist, a luxury we probably can't afford. A good manager should be able to do this job anyway.

Buster Footman, provider of stirring war songs! :city:

Aside from Frank Barlow, I can't see any major losses in there. On top of that, Tinnion has reorganised the coaching staff into what I see as a more sensible arrangement, with all the coaches working with the first team on their relevant areas of expertise. This means that the first team are in fact receiving a greater breadth of coaching, even if there is no more overall contact time.

Last season we had nobody coaching the first team in attacking play (Frank was a defender and Danny a defensive midfielder) and it showed. This season we have Alan Walsh involved in the first team and I am hopeful of seeing an improvement. And the better our attack, the better our defenders have to be in training. It can only be a good thing.

Yet another 'cost' of last seasons failure........

I agree. I worry that the approach taken to address the cost is short-sighted. Could the £150k transfer plus salary for Heff to keep the bench warm instead have been used to pay for an experienced coach (or two) plus a psychologist?

is it though?? or is it 5 defeats in a row and maybe some "other" business as well??

There have rumours Hollowhead is on his way out and he didnt lose 5 in a row... It may be ladies football but the success and failurs are still the same, if not more harsh!

Forest Green Rovers manager Tim Harris was sacked last night after losing the first 6 games of the season. They have conceded 20 goals in the process, mind you..... :city:

Who has actually gone? Correct me if I'm wrong but so far I make it:

Frank Barlow, a good and respected coach.

Women's 1st team coach, who was struggling anyway.

Club Psychologist, a luxury we probably can't afford. A good manager should be able to do this job anyway.

Buster Footman, provider of stirring war songs!

Aside from Frank Barlow, I can't see any major losses in there.

I assume you're being churlish by omitting Wilson from your list?

I assume you're being churlish by omitting Wilson from your list?

Not at all, I have no agenda against Wilson whatsoever.

What I should have done was specify that these were people who have left and not been replaced. I certainly hope that Tinnion will be a very successful replacement for Wilson, and I have every confidence that he will do.

Don't forget that Brian has spent the last 5 years preparing for this job (including no doubt learning a large amount from Danny Wilson). He is not a complete novice.

Not at all, I have no agenda against Wilson whatsoever.

What I should have done was specify that these were people who have left and not been replaced. I certainly hope that Tinnion will be a very successful replacement for Wilson, and I have every confidence that he will do.

Don't forget that Brian has spent the last 5 years preparing for this job (including no doubt learning a large amount from Danny Wilson). He is not a complete novice.

Brian was already a first team coach last season so the number of coaches / backroom staff lost has to also include DW.

Archived