IGNORED

Academy

bs3

Reply to Phatwill

I'm obviously one of those clowns you mention :(:P Fact - our league status has not improved since the academy started.

After the Ashton 8 episode we were left with players whose average age was far younger than that of our present first team. Those young players helped keep this club in existance during the early 1980's. I'm still baffled with all the current hype surrounding our academy, what has the academy acheived?

I think that SL has proved that he is a very financially astute businessman. In fact, certain posters on here have floated the idea that maybe his approach is more logical than it should be: ie, no emotion/passion. So I think that SL/JL would have ditched the academy a while back if it were a drain on the club's financial resources with a low return on investment.

I don't see the problem really.

Reply to Phatwill

I'm obviously one of those clowns you mention  :(  :P Fact - our league status has not improved since the academy started.

After the Ashton 8 episode we were left with players whose average age was far younger than that of our present first team. Those young players helped keep this club in existance during the early 1980's. I'm still baffled with all the current hype surrounding our academy, what has the academy acheived?

Reply to the Goblin

But I know you'd much rather see us field a Bristolian side than a bunch of overpaid foreign poofs for instance?!

In my opinion the current problem with BCFC is the underachievement of our more experienced players who are not earning their money.

I still don't think Danny Wilson is a bad manager.

Bit of luck and a bit of passion from Lee Peacock et al and we'll still go up this season via the play-offs I predict.

Not only is the academy there to attempt to develop our own players at no cost to the club (Coles, Hill, Doherty, Burnell, etc..) but it is also there to be able to offer something to youngsters that don't make it and are released by the bigger clubs (eg. Clist, Lita, McGuire, Fortune).

Having an academy makes our club more attractive to these youngsters looking for a second chance.

The bottom line is we can't compete with the big boys, but we might be able to attract their rejects, to develop some of our own talent good enough for our level, perhaps even devlop a bright prospect that is snapped up for big bucks by a top club.

If the academy is self-financing, or even needs a bit of financial help, then it's worth it because it opens a revenue possibility for the club - and we need all the money we can get!

:(

Guest Swiss Baloney

The only thing that I can say bad about our acadamy is that it produces too many players that are also rans.

It might be an idea to make it smaller ? if it becomes too expensice but if not just leave it as it is :(

The only thing that I can say bad about our acadamy is that it produces too many players that are also rans.

It might be an idea to make it smaller ? if it becomes too expensice but if not just leave it as it is :(

But that's the nature of the beast. If you have a "squad" of under 18's for example - only 2 or 3 at best will ever make it to the first team - but you still need that squad to be able to field teams in matches.

C

Archived