IGNORED

Luke Wilkshire Still Out Of Position ?

Private Cider(cider army)

Which leads us on nicely to the question would you like to see Aaron Brown back...........?????? and would he come back to play for BCFC ?? and would Steve L and Tinman be happy to have Aaron back ??

Steve and Brian have gone on record many times saying that Aaron has said that he doesn't want to play for this club any more and thinks his future lies in the Championship (div 1 old money).

He's well and truly burnt his bridges with the club and is no way back for him.

Why would we want players here who don't want to play for us, however good they are??

See ya Aaron....Good luck in finding a club in the Championship!

Steve and Brian have gone on record many times saying that Aaron has said that he doesn't want to play for this club any more and thinks his future lies in the Championship (div 1 old money).

He's well and truly burnt his bridges with the club and is no way back for him.

Why would we want players here who don't want to play for us, however good they are??

See ya Aaron....Good luck in finding a club in the Championship!

I know people don't like reading 'I agree' posts but I was just going to reply with something almost word for word exactly the same as you!

Anyone would think Aaron is the only player out there. He is unproven after his injury which is why he is finding it difficult to get another club. He was honest and upfront with us when he said he had no intention of signing another contract, we should let him honour his word and hold him to that. :laugh:

I don't want our club to be an 'easy touch' for any player, ie they go off thinking 'ah well if it doesn't work out here I can always go back to City'.

Guest Tom Taylor

Stephen Lansdown has confirmed that City have severed all their ties with Aaron Brown so there will be no chance of his return to the club once he has regained his fitness.

I honestly think that the Midfield that we have at the moment

Murray TinMan Docs Wilkshire

Is one of the best in the division and most importantly is working well.

I think we should wait untill Christmas before looking at Signing anyone.

As for Aaron Brown he wont play for this club again... After speaking to a few younger players at the club even they feel he was too big for his own boots

RAC

The point about Wilkshire is an interesting one - he is being played out of position but is playing well and making valuable contributions to the team. He seems to have come back from the Olympics with a point to prove this season. I think what we are seeing is Wilkshire as a flexible and adaptable player capable of playing anywhere across the middle and using his passing and undoubted ability to make it work. We saw this on occasions last season, but mostly when he played centre midfield - more experience seems to be making the difference there!

I would love to seem him play in the middle alongside Doherty or Orr eventually, as others have said he is a natural replacement for Tins when needed.

As for Aaron, well he has left the club and clearly wants to play at a higher level. We miss him for sure on the left side of midfield and our season went down hill after he was injured, but there is no going back.

Goodfellow is a good replacement for him down the left and once he is fit again and given a run in the side I think he will show that. He is also a flexible and adaptable player - can play left, right or just behind the front 2, and is always capable of scoring a goal. Just give him a chance.

Luke Wilkshire whilst playing really well is still playing out of position and still having to cut in everytime he has the ball, leaving us with short of an outlet on the left,

We have an out and out winger, Goodfellow, but If it isn't broke don't fix it. I prefer to look at it like the old Dave Smith Mark Gavin Combo that tore apart many a defense in our promotion season. Smith was the out and out winger. Gavin nearly always cut in. I seem to remember that one tactic they used was to swap wings for periods of the game, Can anyone else remember this. I imagine it caused havoc in the opposing sides back four. Perhaps it's something that could be tried now.

I think the left hand side suits Luke, much as it suits Pires at Arsenal.

Luke has a superb footballing brain but isn't an out and out winger, as was proved when he played on the right. However, playing him on the left allows him to cut inside to a more central position (which he prefers). Doing this means that the ball is on his stronger right foot, but the defender he's up against is trying to tackle with his weaker left foot.

Look at the number of shots he's had since moving to that side. He has immense power and accuracy in his right foot and that is helped when he comes in from the left and can hit it across the keeper.

Luck, good judgement, call it what you will, but Luke playing on the left has worked well and I see no reason to change it.

I think its a mistake to see Luke as a like for like replacement for Aaron. They are different types of players playing in different formations.

Although Tins seems to have settled on a 4 4 2, its not as rigid as the one Danny employed, with all of our attacking options being made down the flanks. Opposition teams soon worked that one out, but under the new system players seem to be given licence to move around and exchange positions.

So Luke cuts in from the left, Robbo pops up all over the place and does far more attacking from deep where he's at his most dangerous. Scotty still makes those runs down the wing but suddenly arrives in the centre forward postion as well. Even Tommy is getting into the box! There's a panache and fluidity about our attacking and midfield play which we haven't seen for a long time. Look at all the players who had attempts on goal on Saturday. From memory, the only 2 players who didnt have a shot or header were Tony Butler and Danny Coles.

Most importantly, this is still based on a solid defence. We're scoring lots and not conceding. Long may it last!

Wilkshire has been a very pleasant surprise for me. I have

to admit that i was very sceptical about the impact he would

make on his return from the Olympics as his form in the 2nd half of

last season left a lot to be desired. However, he seems to be oozing

confidence after captaining the young Aussies in Greece and long may it

continue.

As for his position on the left, although not ideal, I think it has

worked due to a couple of reasons. I believe, as Edson states, that

Luke is very dangerous when he cuts in and has a pop at goal. He has a

ferocious shot when he catches it right and he could have had a couple

more goals to add to the 2 he scored against Brentford. If Roberts or

Lita continue to make runs down the channel as they are at the moment,

this will create space for Wilkshire to cut into for a shot or cross.

The other reason it is working is the support he has had from Hill and

Tinman. I know Hill has a lot to learn about being a left-back but i have

been watching him closely and believe, imho, he has provided a valuable

outlet in the last few games. Hill is left footed so, given space he can

put in a cross and also Tinman is left footed which means that he can back

up Wilkshire and if Luke gets stuck can lay it off for Tins to cross with

his left peg.

As previous posters have said, if it ain't broke don't fix it! Brown has

well and truely burnt his bridges and I for one would not want to see

him back in a City shirt.

I think the left hand side suits Luke, much as it suits Pires at Arsenal.

Anyone watching Spurs v Norwich on Sunday might also have seen Darren Huckerby doing something very similar. A right footed player coming off the left wing diagonally is very dangerous, and I don't think many defences at our level will know how to cope with it. Gordon Strachan wrote a piece in the Guardian last week a propos of the England/Austria match very much supporting this sort of arrangement, arguing that Wayne Bridge hugging the left touchline was stifling Ashley Cole whereas with Paul Scholes playing in front of him and tending to move infield, Cole became one of the top players in Euro 2004. Personally, I think that this may well be Wilkshire's best position and with Matt Hill at last suggesting that he has learned how to be a left back, we should stick with the present arrangements.

well looking at it you cannot change the team by the way we are playing, cause as previous posters have said the way Wilkshire is playing either by cutting in field or even turning onto his right to get a shot in is completely different to last year. i have noticed that Tinnion does come across to cover alot which is obviously working well. i just say keep it up boys

Does anyone really see Tinnion playing as much as he has at the start of this season as the season progress's, I would have thought the longer into the campaign we get then Marc Goodfellow will play wide left and Wilkshire will pop into the middle to supply both wingers.

I think the left hand side suits Luke, much as it suits Pires at Arsenal ... <snip> ... Luke playing on the left has worked well and I see no reason to change it.

Yep, LW is a good enough footballer to get on with it and make a success of the job he has been asked to do for the team.

I do get tired of being told the only player to have wide-left is someone who can get get round the outside, cut to the by-line and cross. Did we not have Tins himself in that position for years, able to hold the ball up long enough for the likes of Scott, Barnard, Brennan and Bell to overlap and hurt teams that way? It may well be we'll see LW develop that side of his game too, giving whoever is playing left-back the confidence to get forward more.

As for Goodfellow, he is another highly adaptable attacking player, pacy and tricky with an eye for goal but lacking the strength when we're out of possession that was such a useful part of Aaron's game.

Luck, good judgement, call it what you will, but Luke playing on the left has worked well and I see no reason to change it.

At the moment I would agree with that as our options down that side are somewhat limited at the moment. However I would still argue that it is not his best position. I would like to see him play in the middle, in a pretty free ranging role, passing the ball around and being at the hub of our play. I think he is a player who could do that for us. When Bell and Goodfellow are both fit we have other options.

Equally, I think at the moment it works because Hill is coming forward more and filling in the gap on the left side when Wilkshire moves inside (as is Tins), however, if Hill were injured and we had Woodman at LB that might not work so well, if it were Bell then fair enough!

So adaptability and flexibility to change approach and style according to who is fit seems to be the key and something that is working well at the moment.

At the moment I would agree with that as our options down that side are somewhat limited at the moment.  However I would still argue that it is not his best position.  I would like to see him play in the middle, in a pretty free ranging role, passing the ball around and being at the hub of our play.  I think he is a player who could do that for us.  When Bell and Goodfellow are both fit we have other options. 

Equally, I think at the moment it works because Hill is coming forward more and filling in the gap on the left side when Wilkshire moves inside (as is Tins), however, if Hill were injured and we had Woodman at LB that might not work so well, if it were Bell then fair enough! 

So adaptability and flexibility to change approach and style according to who is fit seems to be the key and something that is working well at the moment.

But our form has been transformed since Luke returned in that position. He scored two against Brentford, set up Lita's goal against Peterborough and set up the opening (hence, arguably, the most important) goal against Stockport.

Allied to that, he had two rapier-like shots against Peterborough and should have scored when he got into the 6 yard box after a Murray cross in that game, and he had a couple of powerful strikes against Stockport.

I sit in the Williams, towards the Atyeo end, and was about 20 yards from Luke for much of the second half. The way he talks to Hill and instructs him on where to go, is a major factor in Hill's improvement.

I agree that we need to be able to adapt when other options are available, but moving Luke would be the last thing on my mind at present.

My biggest concern is keeping hold of him for the remainder of the season, if his current form continues.

But our form has been transformed since Luke returned in that position.

Ahh, but is it since he returned in that position, or since he returned?

As I said, I would not change it at the moment, but my view would be he could contribute just as much if not more through central midfield.

Ahh, but is it since he returned in that position, or since he returned? 

As I said, I would not change it at the moment, but my view would be he could contribute just as much if not more through central midfield.

Since he returned in that position. That's the only position he's played (I think) so I think that's fair comment.

Allied to the fact that he has never had the sort of impact he is currently having, playing in different positions last season.

Obviously, he's improving as a player and may do as well if he moved inside, but I don't see a reason to chance it by finding out.

Who would you drop, by the way?

Since he returned in that position. That's the only position he's played (I think) so I think that's fair comment.

Allied to the fact that he has never had the sort of impact he is currently having, playing in different positions last season.

Obviously, he's improving as a player and may do as well if he moved inside, but I don't see a reason to chance it by finding out.

Who would you drop, by the way?

Blast I typed out a long response to this and then it all disappeared!

Anyway, I'll try again - yes since he returned he has only played on the left but my point was I believe he would have as much impact from the centre as shown on occasions last season.

I wasn't suggesting change now so wouldn't drop anyone. We will get injuries or dips in form and Luke could then move inside if needed and we'll all see if he has the same impact from there.

Actually Edson, I agree with you, and am losing my point in this discussion, I think it was about adaptability. Sure it is working at the moment and Luke is filling a gap we have on the left, but that is not necessarily where I would see him playing long term once Bell or Goodfellow are fit.

Luke Wilkshire has been in great form since he returned from Athens. His time at the Olympics can only have helped to improve him as a player which will surely benefit the City for the rest of the season (and hopefully for future seasons). His return to the line up has coincided with the all round improvement in our play over the last 3 games.

He's doing well out on the left and offers a good threat when cutting in (a la Pires as somebody already mentioned on this topic). I can however see him playing in centre midfield before the season is out as I can't see Tinman being able maintain his current level of play without needing a rest at some point.

I think that in Goodfellow, Anyinsah (bit raw, but bags of potential)and Bell (if he ever gets fit again) we have adequate cover for the left wing / left midfield position so to answer the original question at the very top of the post - no - I don't think Aaron Brown will be back wearing the red of BCFC any time soon. The management don't seem to want him and I'm sure the majority of fans are glad to see the back of Aaron (1 good game in 4) Brown.

to answer the original question at the vey top of the post - no - I don't think Aaron Brown will be back wearing the red of BCFC any time soon. The management don't seem to want him and I'm sure the majority of fans are glad to see the back of Aaron (1 good game in 4) Brown.

Oops, I overlooked that original point too...

If Aaron had decided to accept the contract he was offered he could have 'used' Bristol City to regain his fitness and put himself in the shop window again.

The fact he decided to take no job at all, rather than play for us (which could have been mutually beneficial), tells me all I need to know about his attitude towards Bristol City.

I wouldn't have him back now and, equally, I doubt he'd want to come back. His relationship with the fans was somewhat strained before. What it would be like now, if he put in a below par performance or two, doesn't bear thinking about.

A very badly advised young man, in my opinion. As I'm sure he is now working out for himself, after three months without getting paid. Still, he shares an agent with Liam Rosenior, though I'm sure that didn't influence his agent's advice in any way...

I can only assume you base that opinion on the first few games this season where Craig Woodman found he had nobody in front of him to support/encourage his own forays (see earlier post). I have no doubt Woody would thrive as left-back in the current line-up but will have to wait his turn behind Matt Hill for now.

Archived