IGNORED

Turner Sacked By Sheff Wed

Martyn Hocking

Sheff Wed have just sacked their manager Chris Turner following home defeat to Bournemouth.

We have now lost 4 games out of 11. One of Steve L's key complaints about our performance last season was that we lost too many games - he made the point that the likes of Wigan and Plymouth had lost only 4-6 games in the entire season when going up as champions in previous years.

Well, by my reckoning we can only afford two more defeats THIS SEASON if we are going to go up automatically. If Tinnion oversees two more losses before the end of October I think he will be gone.

Well_Red

possible replacement for turner has to be danny wilson! wouldn't supprise me in the slightest. he's a owl through and through and in a season they'll be back it the championship. job vacancy = wilson :city:

tinnion is only started learning his trade, how many new young managers have got a team promoted in his first season? I'm not saying he wont get us promoted but some time's fans just got to be realistic about our expectations this season. i hope he's given a fair chance by SL, because it would be a disgrace if tinnion is rememberd as a failure not a legend!

Sheff Wed have just sacked their manager Chris Turner following home defeat to Bournemouth.

We have now lost 4 games out of 11. One of Steve L's key complaints about our performance last season was that we lost too many games - he made the point that the likes of Wigan and Plymouth had lost only 4-6 games in the entire season when going up as champions in previous years.

Well, by my reckoning we can only afford two more defeats THIS SEASON if we are going to go up automatically. If Tinnion oversees two more losses before the end of October I think he will be gone.

Well_Red

Here we go again :Sleep12: :Sleep12: :Sleep12:

Guest LeicesterRed
Here we go again  :Sleep12:  :Sleep12:  :Sleep12:

Tinman was a hero last week, you can`t expect him to be sacked for this defeat or even 2 more.

Just lets get behind this club and if we go up great, if we don`t we`ll all be there next season to see us go up.

:city:

As long as were not relegated, I would be happy for tinnion to keep improving our team for another 1 or 2 seasons, so we have a strong team going into the championship.

I'm pretty sure that the intention behind appointing Tinnion wasn't just to ensure that we stayed up!

As for being there next season well, my health willing, I will be too, but I don't see what that has to do with it.

Surely what matters is whether were going in the right direction, everyone realised appointing someone who hadn't ever managed as much as a youth team was a gamble and that was surely doubled by appointing an assistant whose only experience was with under 17s.

We don't really know what goes on behind the scenes, whatever the rumours may say, but in the end results are all that matter anyway and heavy away defeats, with an ongoing inability to cope with set pieces (and we let in the least goals in the Nationwide last season with all but one of the same personnel) can't be seen by anyone as progress.

How about a little more speculation on the speculation that may follow the speculation on what maybe the next speculation.

I truly hope that the thoughts of those that blow with the wind from match to match can mature to a state where they can see life expectancy beyond just the next 90 minutes.

So we lose a dozen games this season but win 25,I've a feeling both S.L.&B.T.will be happy.Sheffield Wednesdays decision today is ludicrous.They supported their manager to the full through the close season signing virtually a new team,but they missed the point,there are NO PRIZES for being top of the table on September the 18th!

Lets hope more of our forum members can understand this and realise the time to speculate on B.T.'s achievements will be at the end of term,namely May 05.

possible replacement for turner has to be danny wilson! wouldn't supprise me in the slightest. he's a owl through and through and in a season they'll be back it the championship. job vacancy = wilson  :city:

I'd be rather surprised if the job did go to DW. After his last stint up north there's still a lot of ill feeling towards him as a manager. As a player for them he's still remebered with affection I might add. He might have his doubts about taking the job even if it were offered to him after the campaign directed towards getting him out of the job last time. Remember the campaign in Parliament by the 2 Sheffield MPs?

If Wilson had remained in charge this season, everyone would have expected nothing less than promotion from him/the club.

I find it difficult to alter my expectations just because a new manager has come in, because as far as I'm concerned we sacked Wilson and appointed Tins because it was felt Tins had a better chance to take us up this season.

I'll give Tins time because he has the potential to become as good a manager as he wants to be, but I wouldn't be happy to only 'consolidate' this season at all, just because he's a first-time manager and all that. If that was the case, then what was the point in making him manager?

It would be a step side-ways, in my opinion.

If Wilson had remained in charge this season, everyone would have expected nothing less than promotion from him/the club.

I find it difficult to alter my expectations just because a new manager has come in, because as far as I'm concerned we sacked Wilson and appointed Tins because it was felt Tins had a better chance to take us up this season.

I'll give Tins' time because he has the potential to become as good a manager as he wants to be, but I wouldn't be happy just to consolidate these season at all.

100% agree with your comments, otherwise why sack Wilson? Tins knows what is expected and he accepted that challenge when he took the job - nothing less will do!

I'll give Tins time because he has the potential to become as good a manager as he wants to be, but I wouldn't be happy to only 'consolidate' this season at all, just because he's a first-time manager and all that. If that was the case, then what was the point in making him manager?

It would be a step side-ways, in my opinion.

It would actually be a backward step, not a sideways one, but otherwise I agree 100% with your comments Godzilla. Wilson was slaughtered for failing to get us promotion last season with a strong squad. The squad Tinman has is even stronger - and the opposition even weaker.

When he was appointed the clear message from SL and Tinman was that promotion in year one was the goal. There was no talk of bedding down, settling in, consolidating etc. The talk was of 'hitting the ground running'. Well we have certainly hit the ground - the question is whether we can pick ourselves up with Tinman at the helm and put together a string of victories to close the gap on Luton and Hull.

Well_Red

I don't think the priority is to catch Luton as they are clearly head and shoulders above everyone else at the moment, 2 points average per league game is required and currently we are 8 points down on that average.

Another kick up the arse needed me thinks, worked wonders last time!

I don't think the priority is to catch Luton as they are clearly head and shoulders above everyone else at the moment, 2 points average per league game is required and currently we are 8 points down on that average.

Another kick up the arse needed me thinks, worked wonders last time!

I would happily administer the kick myself, but don't you find it a bit worrying that we are already talking about giving the players a second 'kicking'. Tins' 'honeymoon' period as a manager ended at about 4.45pm v Torquay. Marriage guidance counsellor Steve L was called in after just 5 games into the season to sort out the problems in the dressing room, and that resulted in a second 'honeymoon' which lasted precisely 3 games. Yesterday was the marital equivalent of being caught down the pub chatting up someone else's missus when you should have been at home cooking tea. Bring on Relate!

Well_Red

This is probably the wrong forum to suggest this but how about this for a money spinner for the club. Before every season, 23 fans will be given the chance to join the "Kick the players up the arse" scheme. These men or women will be the people to rally the troops in the changing rooms on match days. There sole responsibilty would be to dish out verbal threats and chuck tea cups at walls to motivate the troops, the "Kick the players up the arse" scheme could rake in a fair bit of money for the club, we could have extra money to bring in players the fans don't like but they would have the opportunity to get revenge in the changing rooms on match days, i.e bring back Rosenior and Thorpe.

I might suggest it to Colin S!

With the sort of football Tinman wants us to play (open, attacking) we are not going to get many draws, we are going to win or loose, you cannot be both tight at the back and attacking - so we will get lots of 4-2 type scorelines and not many 1-0's. The team we have is set up to attack, the midfiled is attacking rather than battling , and we will score lots of goals but we will also let more in, it is inevitable. Personally I think this is good, after all loose 1 win 1 gets you more points than 2 draws.

I do think that we need to be a bit more cautionus away from home though. Personally I would start with one out and out striker, with an "In the hole" player (Gillespie or Orr) to give the midfield more bite when we lose possesion.

I don't think we played that badly yesterday, it was just one of those days where nothing went right for us and every effort they had ended up in the net -it happens.

Guest bristolbred

As long as we are not religated this season or next, i am more than happy for Tin's to get together a squad, that when they do gain promotion, are more than capable of remaining in the top half of the Championship, and not in danger of coming stright down!!. :o

And with regard to Luton, watch them crumble when they lose their first game!!, :city:

Guest pentlandsl

So we have got off to a worse start than we expected - so what?

We now have a team capable of creative play and of scoring goals - who would argue this is a worse squad than last year? It isn't.

Tinion has varied his tactics, formations and players to get it right and he WILL get it right sooner rather than later. I can't imagine him persevering with 'favourites' when they are not playing well.

Any chairman appointing a rookie manager knows it may not work right away and must be willing to give him the opportunity to get on with it. Tinman will, quite rightly, be here at the end of the season.

For my own part I think we are missing just 2 players, a commanding goalkeeper - I'm not slagging Phillips but his style of play just isn't right for this bruiser of a division, we need one who will marshall his defence, command them and then take responsibility for every ball that comes into the box, either taking the cross or calling for a defender to clear it.

Secondly we need a central midfielder who is built like a brick outhouse, to provide arial support to our attack and arial support for defence on set pieces/crosses and to go in hard when it is merited. Too often we don't seem willing to 'get stuck in' when the going gets rough.

With these I think we would have the players to stride straight up and out of this division as we have creators, wingers, defenders and finishers as good as any team in this division and in a lot of cases better than most.

Looking forward to the end of season celebrations!

One last note - can we stop being so depressing at the Gate before a match even starts, I've never known the atmospere to be so cr@p as it has been this season, time for US to roll up our sleeves and get stuck in supporting OUR team as well I think.

Archived