IGNORED

Severnside Worries

beaverface

I'm getting rather worried concerning the number of fans who have voiced their opinions on the Severnside forum.

As it presently stands, only 40 people have made any contribution, and at an average of 2 posts a week, not a lot of opinions will be available when decision time comes around (January 2004 I think).

If we all want to be taken seriously and have our views taken into consideration, then I urge ALL fans to write their feelings on the Severnside forum.

How can the board make such a vital decision, and take the fans seriously, when they only have the views of 40 people. With this kind of response, the board will just end doing what they want because "The fans couldn't be bothered to have any input".

This is the future of BCFC being decided here, so make yourself heard before it's too late. If you don't act now we may never ever get the chance to voice an opinion on relocation.

DO IT NOW, AND MAKE YOUR FEELINGS CLEAR !

I don't have an opinion though. I couldn't care a less where city's home is.

I am happy to let people with a much greater appreciation of the benefits for and against a move decide on my behalf.

I can state categorically I know nothing of where we are on the Severnside issue and am enjoying the blissfully unaware feeling that comes with it.

WOW ! - A further 52 replies (which incidentally I did know about). For Christ sakes, 93 opinions out of thousands don't exactly amount to much does it?

How can the board take us seriously if nobody puts their twopence worth in?

I'm sure all the fans will be on here complaining that we did/didn't want to move to Severnside and nobody bothered asking the fans, but it's b'ollox.

We have 9000 season tickets holders, potentially another 30000 fans(Millenium Stadium proved this) and not even 100 fans can be bothered to make their feelings known.

Admittedly not all those fans have access to the internet, but there certainly are several thousand people online who could make a small input. Crikey, there certainly was enough posts when there was the risk that fans couldn't get there hands on Millenium Stadium tickets or play off semi-final tickets.

If it at the end of the day, Steve Lansdown turns around and said "1500 online fans responded and thats 95% of online fans", then brilliant, but at the moment he's probably laughing his socks off knowing that he can decide whatever he wants concerning relocation.

When it comes to it, Steve Lansdown is literally going to say, "We canvassed the fans and nobody could give a ######". So the big question is, do any of us really care enough? and judging by the number of posts, I'd say no! We're all a bunch of fickle fans who at the end of the day couldn't give a toss, but are happy to complain and moan when things aren't the way we like them.

You say that there are "there certainly are several thousand people online who could make a small input" but do they all come on the forum, and how many of those post regularly? Get serious - we have around 800 members on this forum and we don't even have 96 regular posters on here so how do you expect so many replies?

I reckon the apathy amongst your average City fan is largely down to the feeling of "deja vue".Most of us have heard about plans for a new stadium before which have been going on for years, none of which have come to anything.Most have the feeling that the Severnside proposal is just another red herring.

If and only if Severside looks a like a realistic option with a good chance of it actually happening, will the faithfull come out in their thousands to voice their opinions.

Most City fans that I've spoken to, think this currant proposal is pie the sky and untill that view changes you will continue have inertia from the fans.

If and only if Severside looks a like a realistic option with a good chance of it actually happening, will the faithfull come out in their thousands to voice their opinions.

SEVERSIDE is maybe the key word for some.

I have not expressed an opinion as I visit the Gate infrequently. A move may just encourage more visits as it would lessen my travelling time considerably. I don't have a drink at home matches due to the long drive home so I don't need a local pub.

Having said that I would actually be against a move away from the traditional area because that is the point of supporting our local team. Although looking at the school thread there would appear to be as many from north of the Avon as the south.

I do not like the majority of new stadia I have visited in the past few years, the Reebok, Sixfields, Brittannia spring to mind. A redeveloped AG would get my vote. however, I must express that I do not see either a move or redevelopment as priorities. Establishing BCFC in the First Division is my priority and AG is better than at least half the grounds in the first imo.

It is a fact that the number of fans that frequent the internet forums, or even the internet in general, is small compared to average attendances at the gate.

Personally, I would place the problem firmly in the lap of the club.

I may be wrong, but I am not aware of any publicised attempt by the club, exluding the internet, to canvas supporter's opinions.

To raise the general awareness, they should query the crowd directly, perhaps by issuing flyers at the turnstiles, encouraging them to write or call.

edit: grammar!

You say that there are "there certainly are several thousand people online who could make a small input" but do they all come on the forum, and how many of those post regularly? Get serious - we have around 800 members on this forum and we don't even have 96 regular posters on here so how do you expect so many replies?
I understand where you are coming from Stucider, but he wasn't asking people to become regular posters, just for forum readers who don't usually post, even rare visitors to express an opinion on what may prove to be the biggest mistake this club has ever made!

Robbored - you are absolutely correct with your evaluation of fan feeling, It ties in with my experience to a tee. I estimate of the 50 or so fans I have asked - 90% are against it, 10% undecided, ZERO in favour. Of the 90% against, approx 90% are awaiting the plans to become 'less pie in the sky' as one fan put it. If the move does look increasingly likely, the anti-Severnside fan feeling will be huge and the board won't know what hit 'em!

but why wait?

It is a fact that the number of fans that frequent the internet forums, or even the internet in general, is small compared to average attendances at the gate.

Personally, I would place the problem firmly in the lap of the club.

I may be wrong, but I am not aware of any publicised attempt by the club, exluding the internet, to canvas supporter's opinions.

To raise the general awareness, they should query the crowd directly, perhaps by issuing flyers at the turnstiles, encouraging them to write or call.

edit: grammar!

In an ideal world yes, but would it be in the interests of the club to do so, if they want Severside anyway?

Surely Fans from this forum can hand out leaflets before a game? I'd be more than happy to give up some of my time to do so!

The fact is that this forum only represents a very small cross-section of supporters.

Also, there are a fair few exiles that use the internet possibly more than others who are less likely to repond to such a debate.

Having said that I'm just plain lazy and I WILL get around to giving my thoughts sooner rather than later!

SL is not infallible, despite what some on here might try to make us believe (see Pulis and Rosenior cases) and he might rush into the wrong decision about leaving Ashton Gate.

Please enlighten us as to why you think Steve L was at fault for the Pulis and Rosenior cases and why he may potentially "rush" into the "wrong decision" regarding a possible move from Ashton Gate?

Cheers,

What's wrong with Severnside that worries fans the most?

Is it purely location in that we'd have to travel further for games?

Is it pride, in that we'd share it with Rovers?

Is it history, in terms of not being in South Bristol?

Attempting to be objective, it appears that it would be financially advantageous for City to move there and it should offer better facilities.

More money = more investment in the team.

Plus it would be nice to have a class stadium for big name bands to visit where there are suitable facilities for parking and suitable infrastructure (the M5!)

Or am I missing the point? (genuinely curious, not aggressive here)

I am worried about the pollutants in the air and the fact that the stadium is being built on a flood plain in addition to all the points you mention above, newboy.

As for the revenue myth, all profits would be shared with the gas defeating the whole object of progressing on our own as a football club.

And a 30,000 seater stadium will look stupid for 2 clubs that will never fill it.

And we can redevelop AG and recieve our OWN on and off field revenue while remaining in our spiritual home, not South Glos.

<br /> Jees, what a pushover!  :(

Yeah, well 7 years of marriage will do that to you.

But reading through the Severnside forum et al, the thing that won me was the fact that we'd have to share revenue with Rovers.

Not much of a debate to be had after that fact is it?

<br /> Please enlighten us as to why you think Steve L was at fault for the Pulis and Rosenior cases and why he may potentially "rush" into the "wrong decision" regarding a possible move from Ashton Gate?

Cheers,

Kindly enlighten me on how if Steve Lansdown was infallible, the club - of which he was director and chairman - handled the Rosenior and the Pulis cases in the way it did.

Also, pray, throw light on why if Steve is human (I believe he is) he would be incapable of rushing into a bad decision in his life?

Bottoms up!

Kindly enlighten me on how if Steve Lansdown was infallible, the club - of which he was director and chairman - handled the Rosenior and the Pulis cases in the way it did.

Also, pray, throw light on why if Steve is human (I believe he is) he would be incapable of rushing into a bad decision in his life?

Bottoms up!

Hey even I'm infallible!

However, if you read into the Rosenior case I think you'd be hard pressed to put much, if any blame on Steve for that one.

And Pulis? Well I think ALL directors can take blame for that one although as you know Steve wasn't chairman at the time.

You're comment about Steve making a rushed decision on Severnside is just wishful thinking to back up your arguement!

Next...

Agree with others that until more details are known i.e. the true benefit to BCFC in moving to Servernside then we can not can give a true opinion. I would however caveat that with, if the proposals would seriously improve the football club then we would be foolish to dismiss it and not back it to the hilt.

<br /> Hey even I'm infallible!

However, if you read into the Rosenior case I think you'd be hard pressed to put much, if any blame on Steve for that one.

And Pulis? Well I think ALL directors can take blame for that one although as you know Steve wasn't chairman at the time.

You're comment about Steve making a rushed decision on Severnside is just wishful thinking to back up your arguement!

Next...

Heaven forbid that we should find ourselves on this or any other Forum in ten years’ time apportioning blame for the “Severnside case”. The point is that mistakes have been made and mistakes will be made.

Steve, himself has admitted that he has learnt from past errors. I hope he doesn’t learn from errors with regards to demolishing Ashton Gate after the event.

I do not wish Steve or Bristol City any harm. My “argument” is simply that Steve might decide to send the bulldozers in without the fans’ consent and it might turn out, in time, to be the wrong decision.

I question whether moving to Severnside can be done morally without the fans' consent and I would not like everybody to go along with Steve passively just because we like him and he is cleverer than we are (well cleverer than me for a start).

Peace and loving kindness,

RZ

Archived