IGNORED

Phillips

blackthorn slice

Guest City positive

Did you notice their keeper come for the cross that we scored our first goal from ? He missed it!!! and we scored. Perhaps you were to busy trying to pick fault whith our goalkeeper to notice.If Steve had made the same mistake he would have been hammered If the opposition keeper f___s up its not noticed.

Did you notice their keeper come for the cross that we scored our first goal from ? He missed it!!! and we scored. Perhaps you were to busy trying to pick fault whith our goalkeeper to notice.If Steve had made the same mistake he would have been hammered If the opposition keeper f___s up its not noticed.

pick fault?what have u been watching all season. :@

He's a goalkeeper who has a fault, shock horror.

Lets leave the lad alone he puts in the effort and dishes out the orders in open play.

To use the everton game as an argument for him is being harsh on phillips he is a lot better than that one game. He got us that point on saturday with the wxcellent one-on-one save in the first half (tipped onto the post).

He'll win us points and he will lose soft goals, every player does it, it is merely magninfied as he plays in goal. Tommy at cardiff in the play off first leg anyone? Or coles in the play off final? I could go on, but i just want to ensure that people understand its not just him who makes mistakes to give away goals.

What annoys me is that yes he is a good shot stopper, but he is crap at comanding his area and leaving his line, whether to come for crosses, corners, through balls etc.

I'm sorry but he is not that good a goalkeeper! I used to play in goal to a pretty high standard and am sure any other goalkeepers on the forum would agree. Billy Mercer was a far better keeper and so was Keith Waugh.

What annoys me is that yes he is a good shot stopper, but he is crap at comanding his area and leaving his line, whether to come for crosses, corners, through balls etc.

I'm sorry but he is not that good a goalkeeper! I used to play in goal to a pretty high standard and am sure any other goalkeepers on the forum would agree. Billy Mercer was a far better keeper and so was Keith Waugh.

:city: well i spose everyone has their different opinions of him

personally i have to agree here with matt31 - david james eat your heart out!!!

phillips for england! :city:

I play in goal but only 5-a-side. I respect that he has gotto come for more crosss, even if like the end of last season he punches the ball away than that is better than someone getting a header in from 6 yards out.

It's a case of the defenders doing their jobs and when he is needed phillips to come out for crosses etc.

He's started to read the game better in regard to decisions for through balls but crosses are a major confidence thing for him i believe

:city: well i spose everyone has their different opinions of him

personally i have to agree here with matt31 - david james eat your heart out!!!

phillips for england!  :city:

I appreciate some of the fantastic saves he pulls off and rightly applaud him. But, for example, all good centre backs do more than just tackle.

Don't be too harsh on Phillips.He is after all a Division One 'keeper.If he was better at commanding his box and coming for crosses then he'd be playing higher up.

There is hope for him though'.

Some will remember some classic howlers from Phillips early on his career mostly to do with his kicking.At Oxford and Wolves spring to mind.

Well, he's sorted out that part of his game and is now capable of kicking reliably with both feet.More than you can say for his manager!

Hopefully he will apply the discipline of improving his kicking to coming for crosses and commanding his box and he'll become a far better 'keeper than he is now.

Don't be too harsh on Phillips.He is after all a Division One 'keeper.If he was better at commanding his box and coming for crosses then he'd be playing higher up.

There is hope for him though'.

Some will remember some classic howlers from Phillips early on his career mostly to do with his kicking.At Oxford and Wolves spring to mind.

Well, he's sorted out that part of his game and is now capable of kicking reliably with both feet.More than you can say for his manager!

Hopefully he will apply the discipline of improving his kicking to coming for crosses and commanding his box and he'll become a far better 'keeper than he is now.

I hope does improve! I don't actively wish that nay of our players are bad. I think it's like spongebob said, it's probably a confidence thing rather than ability. Hopefully this will grow as he gets older.

Phillips has made a number of fantastic saves this season but that isn't what the topic is about it's about him commanding his box which he can't do. The bloke is fairly tall so why o why does he stay on his line. We have conceeded something like 6 goals which have been headers inside the six yard box this season, everything within that box is the keepers ball.

Phillips has made a number of fantastic saves this season but that isn't what the topic is about it's about him commanding his box which he can't do. The bloke is fairly tall so why o why does he stay on his line. We have conceeded something like 6 goals which have been headers inside the six yard box this season, everything within that box is the keepers ball.

Confidence mate. It's half the battle with goalkeepers.

Not sure if it was on here that someone said it or not (too lazy to look!) but it is true that Stevie has stopped improving his game since Bill Mercer retired. He was coming on leaps and bounds when Mercer was coaching him, and you could see him improving aspects of his game year on year. Trouble is that seems to have stopped since Stowell's been coaching him, so maybe the issue isn't with Phillips, but more with the coaching he is receiving. A fruitless suggestion as the board won't bring someone in to replace Stowell due to costs, but I think we could do worse than to try and get a top ex-keeper to come in as goalkeeping coach (Shilton, Southall etc, or even try and convince Mercer to come back!).

So in short, not many of the above posts can be disputed.....top shot stopper, crap at commanding his area. Give the guy some quality coaching and we may see the very best of him.

Guest C.T.I.D
is this bloke ever going to know how to command is box?don't know if anybody noticed how commanding hudders keeper was coming out for anything in the air and shouting at is back 4 all game.i know he is a very good shot stopper but surly he,s been there long enough to know the basics. banghead.gif

he came off his line a few times so he is improving

I'd rather have an all round keeper. If we had a keeper who could come out and catch the ball from set pieces then we would barely have any shots to deal with. All the 'great' saves Phillips makes are usually his own making.

Can't agree with that.

He's saved far more goals than he's been responsible for. By a long way!!!

Archived