IGNORED

Steve Brooker's Signing

Dave L

Firstly, let me say I'm really pleased we've signed Brooker. He's highly rated at Port Vale and in the rest of the division and is an ambitious player who has worked hard on his game and continues to improve. He fills a massive gap in our strikeforce and will do well for us.

There's been a lot of speculation about who will make way for him, as there seems to be a widely held consensus that 5 strikers is about right. It clearly won't be Heffernan or Lita. I'd be astonished if it was Gillespie, who is a recent signing with enormous potential and very much 'one for the future'. That leaves Miller and Roberts. Both players have a lot to offer in different ways, but of the two of them I very much hope that Miller is retained.

When you sign a young player, you're not necessarily buying the finished article. You're looking for potential as much as anything - the potential do do a decent job in the short term, and an excellent job in the longer term as they develop their skills.

Chris Roberts divides fans more than any player I can remember in my time supporting City. Since being signed in March 2002, aged 22, he's had some good runs in the side, has never been far away from the first team and has scored some vital goals. At times he's been a key member of the team, at other times he's been infuriating, but in all that time he's never really established himself as a must pick player, and despite having played over 100 games for City I don't really think he's improved as a player. He's 25 next month and I wonder if he ever will.

Lee Miller was just 20 when we signed him. He's played over 50 games (including sub appearances) and has impressed in some, not in others. In my mind, his best spell at City was when he first joined the club and was first choice for most of the first half of last season. His confidence clearly grew on the back of regular selection, but it has to be said that he wasn't really getting the goals (mind you neither was anyone else) and at the time it was probably right that other people were given the chance ahead of him. But at 21 youth is still on his side, and if he continues to have faith in his own ability, then I'm sure he will become a much better and more consistent player. I really hope that's at City, though if he needs to go on loan elsewhere to give him the first team football he needs then I don't think that would be a bad thing. As long as he comes back. The important thing to remember is that he still has time and youth on his side.

And ironically, the one player Lee should look to for inspiration is Steve Brooker who was signed by Port Vale when he was 19 and during his four years at Vale has turned himself into one of the most respected and sought after strikers in our division. It's probably beene easier for him in that he's not bee having to justify a 300k price tag, and for most of his career at Vale Park was a first pick on the team sheet.

Lee Miller still has the potential to be a big player for Bristol City and I hope it wokrs out for him here. I wish Chris Roberts all the best for the future, and if he is the striker who is going to move on, I hope he finds a club where he is given bit more respect than he was shown by some fans at Ashton Gate.

Firstly, let me say I'm really pleased we've signed Brooker. He's highly rated at Port Vale and in the rest of the division and is an ambitious player who has worked hard on his game and continues to improve. He fills a massive gap in our strikeforce and will do well for us.

There's been a lot of speculation about who will make way for him, as there seems to be a widely held consensus that 5 strikers is about right. It clearly won't be Heffernan or Lita. I'd be astonished if it was Gillespie, who is a recent signing with enormous potential and very much 'one for the future'. That leaves Miller and Roberts. Both players have a lot to offer in different ways, but of the two of them I very much hope that Miller is retained.

When you sign a young player, you're not necessarily buying the finished article. You're looking for potential as much as anything - the potential do do a decent job in the short term, and an excellent job in the longer term as they develop their skills.

Chris Roberts divides fans more than any player I can remember in my time supporting City. Since being signed in March 2002, aged 22, he's had some good runs in the side, has never been far away from the first team and has scored some vital goals. At times he's been a key member of the team, at other times he's been infuriating, but in all that time he's never really established himself as a must pick player, and despite having played over 100 games for City I don't really think he's improved as a player. He's 25 next month and I wonder if he ever will.

Lee Miller was just 20 when we signed him. He's played over 50 games (including sub appearances) and has impressed in some, not in others. In my mind, his best spell at City was when he first joined the club and was first choice for most of the first half of last season. His confidence clearly grew on the back of regular selection, but it has to be said that he wasn't really getting the goals (mind you neither was anyone else) and at the time it was probably right that other people were given the chance ahead of him. But at 21 youth is still on his side, and if he continues to have faith in his own ability, then I'm sure he will become a much better and more consistent player. I really hope that's at City, though if he needs to go on loan elsewhere to give him the first team football he needs then I don't think that would be a bad thing. As long as he comes back. The important thing to remember is that he still has time and youth on his side.

And ironically, the one player Lee should look to for inspiration is Steve Brooker who was signed by Port Vale when he was 19 and during his four years at Vale has turned himself into one of the most respected and sought after strikers in our division. It's probably beene easier for him in that he's not bee having to justify a 300k price tag, and for most of his career at Vale Park was a first pick on the team sheet.

Lee Miller still has the potential to be a big player for Bristol City and I hope it wokrs out for him here. I wish Chris Roberts all the best for the future, and if he is the striker who is going to move on, I hope he finds a club where he is given bit more respect than he was shown by some fans at Ashton Gate.

I know we are not meant to do 'I agree' type posts, but I agree!

Out of the 2 players, Miller and Roberts, I think there is more to come from Miller and he is capible of playing at a higher level, WHEN we get there. With Roberts I am doubtful that he will be able to. I think he has found his level and has given the best that he can give.

Roberts was also useful last year though, playing on the wing when we were lacking.Although this season there isn't the need for him to play there. What I think may 'save' him though, is the fact he has been playing alongside Lita who seem to play better with him. Obviously if Brooker is now going to take this role his chances will lessen. Has he just been played to be put in the 'shop window?'

I hope Tinnion , and all the coaching staff have actually sat all the players down and discussed the goings on with them. We are confused,listening to rumours, gossiping etc how must the players be? I hope it has been explained to them why they aren't playing and what needs to be done, advice and reasons given, what we are trying to achieve, what each persons role is in the squad. He has a lot of players to keep happy and hopefully he is aware of this and the importance of comminication is part of Management.

What will be really interesting is to see whether the presence of a target man improves the quality of the crossing. It would make sense to retain Miller as cover/competition for the role but he needs greater upper body strength, something I trust is being addressed by a full gym/diet programme.

Fair assessment of the situation. I believe that there has to be some movement outwards to give the guys in the side a bit of space. The little I have seen of Gillespie suggests that he could be excellent in the future, or even now. If he isn't going to get a chance, then a loan spell would do him a lot of good. I would hate to see such a talent in the reserves all season. Miller would also benefit from a loan spell, although I know Tins likes to have a bench full of forwards.

I think that Roberts should move on with our best wishes and of course if we can find a buyer. One of Gillespie or Miller should go on loan asap. Heff is pushing Lita and will get his chance when Leroy needs a rest gets injured or suspended.

Sounds about right to me, Roberts is now the logical choice to offload. Hes out of contract at the end of the season, Miller cost a lot of money so i don't see them willing to make a loss on him. Although i do like Robbo(at times!)i think given the current climate with the fans and now publicly the management, a move now would suit all parties.

:o

Fair assessment of the situation.  I believe that there has to be some movement outwards to give the guys in the side a bit of space.  The little I have seen of Gillespie suggests that he could be excellent in the future, or even now.  If he isn't going to get a chance, then a loan spell would do him a lot of good.  I would hate to see such a talent in the reserves all season.  Miller would also benefit from a loan spell, although I know Tins likes to have a bench full of forwards.

I think that Roberts should move on with our best wishes and of course if we can find a buyer.  One of Gillespie or Miller should go on loan asap.  Heff is pushing Lita and will get his chance when Leroy needs a rest gets injured or suspended.

No problem finding a buyer for Roberts.

He'll have a choice of clubs if he goes on the list. That's Blackpool and Port Vale who have made attempts to sign him.

Other clubs, plus Mark Hughes, seem to rate him alot higher than "we" do.

Andy King has publicly praised him as well, and as i said a couple of weeks ago, i wouldn't be at all surprised if Swindon come in for him.

Guest hairyshamrock

I know this may sound silly to some, but i'm actually thinking that playing Miller AND Brooker up front wouldn't go a miss. If Brooker is the messiah in the air everyone is saying he is then surely with Millers great first touch it's got to be worth a go... Sounds very similar a combination to when Miller was at falkirk with Owen Coyle up front if you ask me.

I know this may sound silly to some, but i'm actually thinking that playing Miller AND Brooker up front wouldn't go a miss.  If Brooker is the messiah in the air everyone is saying he is then surely with Millers great first touch it's got to be worth a go...  Sounds very similar a combination to when Miller was at falkirk with Owen Coyle up front if you ask me.

... sounds like a plan, man! Living overseas, and not having seen City play live for almost 2 years now, I know Roberts well enough (and rate him), but haven't seen Miller at all.

So, I'm glad someone's finally mentioned this pairing as a possiblity. I've wondered why people see it as such an either/or with Brooker and Miller - there's nowt in the rules that says you can't have two big(ish) blokes as your strike pairing. Could be just what Miller's been waiting for.

... sounds like a plan, man! Living overseas, and not having seen City play live for almost 2 years now, I know Roberts well enough (and rate him), but haven't seen Miller at all.

So, I'm glad someone's finally mentioned this pairing as a possiblity. I've wondered why people see it as such an either/or with Brooker and Miller - there's nowt in the rules that says you can't have two big(ish) blokes as your strike pairing. Could be just what Miller's been waiting for.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo please not a Peacock/Miller style pairing AGAIN!!!!!! :o

As always (well nearly) Dave, I find myself agreeing with you. Roberts is one of those players who will never be a fans favourite and is inconsistent and frustrating as a player. I like him as a player, but he is frustrating to watch.

Miller however, is still very young and has in my view shown enough potential since he has been here to persuade me that he will become a key player. I also agree with others on here that there is still very much a role for him to play - back up to Brooker, or even alongside Brooker, depending on who we are playing. Don't forget, we should not always play the same system or strike force or we become way too predicatable. Wing play with a couple of nippy strikers might work sometimes, but variety is the spice of life, keep them guessing about system and strikers and we stand far more chance of springing a few surprises about how we might be playing. Compare that to last year!

The arguement for keeping roberts would be that he adds something different.

Other than Murray he's the only player who looks happy bringing the ball forward, and he adds pace to the attack. Miller does neither of those things.

And we've just bought a target man who will (presumably) do the job Miller was meant to do, whats the point of having a second target man who does nothing but sit on the bench ? Its just unnecessary duplication. I agree that one day Miller might be quite good, but he's only three years younger than Brooker so he's hardly going to become a player who will one day take over an older mans boots. He'll be forever in Brookers shadow unless he gets injured.

Sorry - I'd get rid of Miller.

And I don't buy this Miller and Brooker idea either. It didnt work with Peacock and Miller, it didnt work with Torpey and Beadle. Lets not go back to the days when we had no pace up front (please).

Guest TinmansCulturedLeftPeg

andy g,I wasn't suggesting we start a home game with Brooker and Miller up front! But it could prove to be a useful option in other circumstances....

If I was a betting man I'd bet that Gillespie is on his way out on loan somewhere....

Archived