IGNORED

World Cup

billybob

sorry not bcfc but can anyone please confirm world cup qualification criteria, ie 8 winners of groups plus what? What about oceania south america etc

many thanks

Taken from www.fifa.com...

"The hosts are guaranteed a place, and they will join 13 other teams from Europe. The African zone will send 5 representatives to Germany, while Asia and South America have been awarded 4.5 spots and the North and Central Americans and Caribbean Zone has 3.5 and Oceania 0.5."

Hope this helps.

My wife thinks FIFA should scrap these pools and seeding and simply play it as a true cup competition with only the semis and final at a neutral ground. If that means Germany travel to Brazil in round 1 for the right to meet the Solomon Islands in the next round - tough! I could see her logic, after all more teams enter the FA Cup than nations enter the World Cup and the FA Cup from Extra Preliminary Round through to the final is just 9 months and hardly any team ever plays more than 6 matches. Therefore it would be less demanding on those poor top players selected for their countries.

On a side note, that isn't totally relevant, who else thinks the Champions League qualifying is racist? You have a team in England or Italy for example who finish 3rd in their league, and they go through the same qualifying as the team that WON THE LEAGUE (ie, they're the champions) in certain other countries with smaller footballing markets. Discriminating against a group of people because of where they come from is racist, and I personally think UEFA should be pretty ashamed of themselves.

I agree with you taipan. However, to avoid charges of racism, FIFA stated the number of clubs per country was determined by the size of TV audience, not population.

James Clavell's novel Taipan is a good read, did you choose your name from that?

that's interesting about the tv money. i guess money talks loudest.

i've not read the book. the taipan is a snake, and the inland taipan is the most venemous snake on earth, drop for drop. but don't panic, it lives only in australia (so if we ever decide to get rid of wilkshire...) and there's one in london zoo, too, if you're interested...

Archived