IGNORED

Sharing With The Shoguns

RedZepperin

City are in talks with Bristol Rugby Club about the Shoguns using Ashton Gate for their home games, according to the official site today. I couldn't understand the bit about their matches clashing with Rovers' games and how that wouldn't occur here but also, if (as I hope) Bristol Shoguns get back into the Premiership, well they could do with a better ground, apparently.

Will this lead to a ground-share and eventualy an injection of cash to redevelop Ashton Gate?

• Admin

Initial reaction, is as long as the pitch is not affected then what harm can it do?

It would make "financial" sense to have the ground used every weekend and not just every other.

May get messy some weeks as there must be a clash somewhere in theory we would have been home last Saturday and today so it does not mean we are home one week away the next, so they would still have to play some games on the Sunday.

But hey, they aobviously recognise the better facilities etc so why not do it !

When the shoguns sold their ground to rovers I stopped going.

if they do play at the gate I will see them more often .

But we must make sure that the pitch is not wrecked and thus spoil our style of

fast flowing football along the ground( I can dream cant I ?)

Guest bristolbred

Sharing with the Shoguns would be a disaster for the pitch!!!, and that would then be ultimatly bad for City's results!!, :city:

We should't let a small injection of money from the Shoguns rule our heads!!, Hearts first, City First!!, :city:

Who's been to Stockport recently??, who went last season??, it was like playing on Weymouth beach!!, the amount of sand they had put down, hardly any grass, and we lost a vital game, as our passing style of football was stiffled, and Stockports kick and run approach won the day!!, :city:

Sorry Shoguns, go and look elsewhere!!. :city:

Guest DrFaustus
I think if it helps with the funding towards the stadium redevelopment costs I'm all for it.  Also we'd be depriving the rovers of couple of 100k a year also.

It's nothing like that much.

If the egg chasers bugger off to Ashton, they'd need to pay the rest of their contract with us anyway.

Sorry to spoil your wet dream with facts.

I'm not sure what the crowds are like this season with the Shoguns being relegated. To get decent crowds once more then they will need to gain promotion back to the Premiership. With only one promotion spot avaialable this is 3 times more difficult than City getting to the Championship.

The grass may be a problem, we do like to play football not hoofball (other than our defence :city: )

As long as the AG pitch doesn't get ripped to shreds by the Rugby boys boys then I'm all for it.

Lets not forget that AG is unused for large parts of the year and making more use of the faclity on a regualr basis is basic common sense.

I might even go watch the Shoguns if they a were at AG.

Guest bristolbred

This is what's on the BeeB website!!,

Bristol keen on Ashton Gate move

Ashton Gate has a capacity of 21,749

Bristol Rugby Club have approached Bristol City about using Ashton Gate to stage their home games.

The National League One side currently play at Bristol Rovers' Memorial Stadium ground.

But a move to Ashton Gate would allow the rugby club to play their games on alternate weekends with City, and also meet Premiership ground requirements.

"We would like to do what we can to help the rugby club," City's chief executive Colin Sexstone said.

"But any decision made would have to be beneficial to the football club and we have asked Bristol to supply us with more details before we discuss it further."

Initial reaction, is as long as the pitch is not affected then what harm can it do?

It would make "financial" sense to have the ground used every weekend and not just every other.

May get messy some weeks as there must be a clash somewhere in theory we would have been home last Saturday and today so it does not mean we are home one week away the next, so they would still have to play some games on the Sunday.

But hey, they aobviously recognise the better facilities etc so why not do it !

Better facilities?

HAHAHAHAHAHHHAHA

Can you spell E X E C U T I V E B O X ?

Obviously not.

Guest east_dundry_red

Shoguns no longer have a contract with rovers after the end of the season its done on a yearly basis and would suit them nice to play at the gate. if we put in a pitch like wycombe's we would be fine. Rovers will never understand how much the shoguns put into that ground.

I'm totally against the idea. Did anyone see the pitch at AG today. I was down on pitchside this morning and it is like a carpet. If we let the rugby boys in, it will become a cow field OR we have to cough up a pretty penny to re-lay a new pitch thus replacing a perfectly adequate one.

Financially, the Shoguns get crowds of around 3,000 I believe. Add a 1,000 or so interested City fans for about 5 matches and I'm struggling to see many benefits. Unless, of course, they can get millions of pounds worth of grants to develop our stadium.

Other than City games how many times does the pitch get used? If the stiffs can move to Clevedon/other then surely its a great idea?

I've never seen Bristol Rugby play but at a guess i'd say thay could pull 6k+ to AG. Even a mininul cut of that must mean several £k to the City on a fortnightly basis.

If they did move how would this effect the Rovers cashflow?

On Radio Bristol yesterday Sexstone explained it was a reserve ground, incase there was the situation when The rugby authorities wanted the game on TV when Rovers were playing at home. He also said there would probably only be one game a year at most, if the club gets promoted to teh Premiership (the rugby club that is, not us).

Are you claiming that the Memorial Ground is a better sporting facility than Ashton Gate?

It all depends on how you judge that facility.

Certain facilities are head and shoulders above the ones at AG. If, and it's big if, the new stand goes ahead then I'd say bar the size of the stadium and their capacity the Mem will definately be the better facility.

What happened to the plans to rebuild the Williams stand? Is that still happening?

Be honest regardless of executive boxes etc. We don't need some bleeding egg casers tearing our pitch to two bob bit stopping us playing our football do we?

Unless they want to pay us one hell of a lot of money towards the extra work needed on the pitch and the ground maintenance? Oh whats that they don't well bugger off public school egg men.

Archived