IGNORED

More Plusses Than Minuses So Far

RedUn

The performance made for healthy listening today and it was interesting to hear Tins saying he was about building a squad here.

Let's compare the departures and arrivals since "that day" in Cardiff:

(Rougier)

(Caskey)

Carey vs Smith

Peacock vs Brooker

Matthews vs Heffernan

Brown,A vs

Roberts vs

Burnell vs Orr

Brown,M vs Brown,S

Brown,S vs Davies (not seen either play)

Highlighting my personal preferences above I reckon four of the new lads have improved the squad whilst only one has not, and the jury is out on reserve goalies.

Meanwhile, Luke Wilkshire has been asked to do a job on the left and few could knock his return of four goals and two assists in eight games in the position vacated by Aaron Brown.

Wisely, a central defender has been declared as the next target and I await the arrival with great interest.

BT does seem to have got the team playing football this season.There has been a great reduction in the long punts that we saw last season and overall the lads are linking and passing the ball pretty well.

Today was a good example of that.Several times in the first half the back four exchanged passes between themselves thereby running the Hull forwards all over the place before a chance came to make a controlled forward pass.It was good to see imho.

My worry is still the defence and I wasn't reassurred much from what I saw today.They still look uncertain and vunerable to the counter attack and Phillips still struggles with when to come for crosses.A new and quicker centre back would be a sensible signing but might not be enough if he's not a organiser.

A new and quicker centre back would be a sensible signing but might not be enough if he's not a organiser.

Agreed, and I think Keith Millen's remarks about leadership earlier in the week indicate that is what we should expect; Tins on Radio Brizz also emphasised his desire for teamworkers, using Brooker as an example ... all good stuff.

When you put it that way, the signings look pretty good.

As some of you know, I was a bit critical of some of the early summer signings, saying they were uninspiring. But in most cases I have to admit they've improved the squad we had last year.

Compare that with the big name players we've seen this season. Barmby was very quiet today for instance and MacLean has hardly set the division on fire. I'm told that MacPhee is one of the top scorers in the portuguese league, but he seems to be an exception.

Maybe we havent given Tinman enough credit for his signings, he's said recently that Brooker was his number one target-man from the start and he's looking pretty good so far.

After a poor start, the new-boys are starting to prove their worth and if we can match todays performance on a consistant basis, things are looking good.

Guest bristolbred
BT does seem to have got the team playing football this season.There has been a great reduction in the long punts that we saw last season and overall the lads are linking and passing the ball pretty well.

Passing and playing well!!. :city:

Let's hope that the "Shoguns!" DON'T end up ground sharing and turning the pitch into a sand trodden battlefield, that will stop the resergence of attractive, quality passing football!!, :city:

Though to be fair, that may just have been down to the fact that he wasn't actually in the Hull squad for the game  :city:

Portuguese top scorers chart

Christ, I must have been seeing things ! Who was the round-ish midfielder with the grey-ing hair ? I've checked the team-sheets and you're right, he wasn't playing. Guess we'll have to let him off then !

Still - McPhee is joint second in the scorers-chart there - so I was partly right ! :city:

Passing and playing well!!. :city:

Let's hope that the "Shoguns!" DON'T end up ground sharing and turning the pitch into a sand trodden battlefield, that will stop the resergence of attractive, quality passing football!!,  :city:

As I said on the other post they don't want to use it for every game, it will only be perhaps one or two games a season.

Archived