IGNORED

Hull City Review

fct

City certainly played well today against a team ridng high in the table, and bth teams came to play football which is pleasing to see. Hull did begin with a defensive mindset, playing just Facett up front and it was the reds who made much of the attacking play in the first half.

This was the first time I'd seen Steve Brooker and he certainly does as it says on the label; good in the air and holds play up well. His goal on 38 minutes was a corker of a header, low to ex-City's keeper Myhill's right who had little chance with that one. Wilkshire had a busy game and was beginning to look the part of a creative midfielder, much of the better moves were going through him rather than the off-form Tinnion who mis-placed quite a few passes today.

Bradley Orr fitted in well in the defensive midfielder role and broke up a few Hull moves, but Murray was well shackled on the right and the better moves came down the left where Mickey Bell was having a good game.

Hull came out with two up front in the second half and it was no surprise when they equalised; the danger signs had been there and about 10 minutes after the break Facett broke into the box and finished extremely well, lashing the ball past Phillips. City came back and Brooker knocked the ball down for Wilkshire to control the ball, turn and hammer the ball past Myhill who stood rooted to the spot.

City then turned on the style and should have killed Hull off; Murray had a chance after cutting in but his shot was charged down for a corner. Brooker broke clear, squared the ball across for Lita whose shot smashed off the crossbar with the goal gaping. Lita drove over on the break with two players screaming for a pass and Brooker was robbed by Myhill as he prepared to pull the trigger.

The unlikely third scorer was Butler, rising high from a corner to head in with five minutes remaining to seal a deserved win.

Phillips: 6 - competent game, no chance with the goal, caught a few crosses.

Coles: 6 - fitted in well at right back, solid and used in a few attacks to good effect.

Butler: 7 - played well, scored the third, playing more like his old self.

Hill: 7 - another good game, came forward a few times to shoot but with no reward. Dominant in the air.

Bell: 7 - Good game on the left, crossed dangerously and was a good outlet for the attacks.

Murray: 6 - Shackled for a while but eventually began to look dangerus as the second half wore on.

Orr: 7 - Effective in what he was there for, breaking up the opposition attacks. Hardly put a foot wrong.

Tinnion: 5 - Misplaced passes and was off his game today.

Wilkshire: 8 - one of his best games, was the creative player today and ran things in the middle which was odd as he was on the left side of midfield. Superb goal.

Lita: 6 - Full of running but wasted a few chances, opting to shoot when he ought to have passed. Otherwise always looked dangerous.

Brooker: 7 - Great start at home, took his goal well and looks a great buy in holding up the ball.

subs: Fortune (for Wilkshire): 5 - just didn't get into the game

Amankwaah (for Murray) : too short a time to get a mark.

Brown (for Tinnion) : too short a time to get a mark.

"... rather than the off-form Tinnion who mis-placed quite a few passes today."

Good job he didn't misplace the one for Brooker's goal then! Great ball in picking Brooker out who directed his header superbly.

Possibly the best performance of the season for me to date, given we were up against one of the better teams in the division.

Wilkshire hardly gave the ball away all game and was also my MOM. Not far behind was Brooker. Excellent home debut. Strong, held up the ball and also mobile, which we probably wouldn't have got had we signed the traditional 6 and a half foot lump to play as a target man.

Orr's best game in a City shirt and also a good game from the new slimline, Bell. I must admit I wouldn't have been too fussed had he left the club back in the summer, but I'm glad he stayed now. Best left back at the club. Looks like he could form a decent partnership with Wilkshire on the left.

Things all of a sudden are looking up in a division, Luton apart, which is wide open with everyone beating everyone else. Win the game in hand and we are a point outside the play-offs. A win and a draw out of the trips to Oldham and Walsall, should keep the momentum going, with 3 home league games to follow.

Archived