IGNORED

Jon Maguire Interview

Slave to the rhythm

Guest TinmansCulturedLeftPeg
MT: Well, I suppose it would have been the Newcastle manager at the time (he was there).

JM: But 10 years ago! Newcastle were what? Who were they? Keegan wasn't there yet. Weren't they in the 2nd Division, or something?

It was 20 years ago and Keegan was still a player there :whistle:

They were top-flight giants....

Jack Charlton was first-team manager when Tinman first arrived....

And you'll say Danny Wilson - but he just got lucky at Barnsley, didn't he?

LMFAO!

Danny Wilson was appointed player-manager of Barnsley in the summer of 1994,Barnsley were relegation favourites for the forthcoming season having finished just marginly above the relegation zone the previous season,without spending a penny in cash Danny Wilson guiding them into the play-offs in 1995 and into the Premiership in 1997 - with the exact same squad he inherited in 1994 that were relegation favourites! How lucky is that?

how good is Doherty as a captain - I don't know?

He's David Batty isn't he? He gets stuck in, gets it and gives it, but who does he give it to? We just play a lot of sideways football - sideways all over.

We're the division's top scorers by playing sideways football then,god I almost choked on my coffee! This guy obviously hasn't seen us play this season,we're playing positive forward football,not sideways football,is he blind or what....? and I'm sure that he has never seen Doherty play because one of Doc's most notable attributes is his forward passing ability,he must have him mixed up with Burnell or something....

This is quite difficult to write about without appearing negative. I know there are people on here and other forums whose opinion I respect, that think that some people on here are taking a "holier than thou" stance with Mr MacGuire.

I am not going to talk about his knowledge of the club and his motives, both of which seem, well..... sketchy to say the least.

But I am still confuse as to why this guy has been given so much publicity for say and suggesting things that any and all of us have said over the years.

Yes we should be higher up

Yes we would like more money from the high flyers in the area.

Yes we should be filling the stadium.

But we know from past reports that the board are already trying these things, if it was that easy they would have had some success in this area already.

It makes me wonder whether the money that he claims is out there, comes at too high a price. Maybe with clauses that the board are not willing to entertain.

I would love to think I was wrong, that Mr MacGuire will be standing on the steps of the stand in 5 years saying "I told you so", but I wont be holding my breath.

One last point though. Do we really want to go down the route of bringing in players who will be looking to see out their career in the West Country?

Gary Speed?

Bergkamp?

Combined age?

Is that a sensible way to spend your money?

Every interview I've read re-enforces the impression of a financial big-mouth, a wide boy who likes us all to listen to what he's saying.

He knows so little about us that his claims of BCFC being near to his heart smack of something not quite truthful! (not remembering who went to Shef Wed? eh is he having a laugh?)

the bottom line is again, he has no money of his own, so for all his claims he would have little or no control over the 'investment' he might help bring in.

I'm sure he has clients who invest in the stock market, but again, the rules are very different. I would argue that no-one who has that sort of cash is going to hand it over to JM with no strings attached, so his plans are meaningless, he would be obliged to act on his clients behalf and all that that would entail.

Like the Manure situation,( Glazier would need to allocate some value against investment,) whats the main asset to be played around with? - the ground, thats what. I still think JM would be the worst thing to happen to us, read up on how Leeds managed to destroy themselves!

Anyhow, it's academic - he hasn't got the muscle (except in his head) driving a flash car and wearing suits doesn't mean you have business acumen. he's a big mouth, plain and simple.

:whistle:

Archived