IGNORED

Fourteen & Eight ...

Maesknoll Red

• Admin

...points behind Luton and Tranmere and I'm far from convinced that this squad of players have what it takes to catch them. Our points tally is only one point less than after fifteen games last season, but we were only 5 & 4 points behind first and second place and still failed to overhaul them.

Last season: Played 15, HW 4 HD 2 HL 1 F12 A4 AW 1 AD 5 AL 2 F5 A8 +5 22 points.

This season: Played 15, HW 3 HD 3 HL 1 F17 A8 AW 2 AD 3 AL 3 F9 A14 +4 21 points.

Glad to see a clean sheet yesterday, but the lack of invention, nous and guile in our forward play was disappointing, Colchester were happy with a point, their keeper was time wasting for virtually all of the second half - perhaps its time to make it 5 points for a win, what will it take to stop some Managers being happy with a point?

Tommy Doherty should take a long hard look at himself, his 5 game absence has caused disruption to the midfield and whilst I appreciate that if you completely removed the venom from him, he would lack something in his play, he really does need to stop these unnecessary suspensions.

I just hope that I'm way off the mark and we sail up automatically, but I am predicting an 8th place finish for us this season.

Agree...

Yesterday's performance was the essence of the reason why we will not see promotion this year and, possibly, not even the play-offs.

Colchester were poor and obviously came for a point, yet we almost gifted them all 3 points at the death.

Our shooting was inaccurate and so was our passing. Tinman did a 'Wilson' and took off one of most effective players in Murray.

Dinning, despite all the criticism on here did his job - he's a holding midfielder.

Tinnion's mistake was playing Orr and Dinning together in the centre - 2 defensive players. At home we need to be more attack-minded.

I think, because Tinman had made the loan signing, he felt obliged to play him - mistake IMO.

Despite having a defensive central midfield we missed a catalogue of chances and that's not good enough. Brooker worked hard but found himself out wide too often instead of in the middle. Lita was anonymous.

We looked far better when Dinning went off and Wilkshire went inside with Bell on the left, a more positive attitude followed.

We play too safe at home - let's be a little more gung-ho.

:whistle:

Its all very well slating City for not breaking through Colchester's packed defence but some credit has to given to the opposition who defended brilliantly.They threw themselves into blocking shots,tackled hard and were very well organised.If the City defence had done the same thing away from AG and nicked a point we'd all be delighted.

I agree that City didn't play that well but they did have loads of possesion and looked threatening untill they got 20 yards out and then it was brick wall time.

On another day one of the City shots would have taken a deflection (H'field)and ended up in the net but it just didn't happen yesterday.One those days when you just don't get the breaks.It happens.

Now its onwards and upwards.Bring on MK Dons.

• Admin

The midfield and the forwards looked as disjointed as they did on many occasions last season, the aquisition of the long cried out for target man hasn't turned our fortunes around as many suggested.

The full backs didn't offer an overlap, Dining looked tidy, but not match fit, Wilkshire grafted but didn't have any accuracy in his shooting boots and the ball was given away far too frequently. A ppor display all round,aginst a team who came to stifle and shut up shop, but many do when they come to AG and we have to break through them, no chance of promotion if we can't do that.

So who are we lacking in the supply front?

What type of player could make the difference for us now?, :whistle:

Keeping murray on yesterday would have helped , pushing goodfellow outwide and wilkshire into the middle alongside tommy , orr , or dinning. Thats a much better balanced midfield than yesterday , goodfellow can get past people with his pace on the wing , him and murray can terrorize defences in this league , wilkshire can spread the play from his natural position , CENTRAL midfield.

Guest bristolbred

Freezer has finished his loan period at the Vale, so it's now up to Tin's to fit him back into the team for the next game, playing both him and Murray on the wings, but there are no guarentees that this is going to happen, but it would be a shame if Freezer languishes on the bench, or in the reserves. :whistle:

Guest bristolbred
Interesting that people seem to have a lot of faith in Goodfellow,

Got to have faith in someone who can rush up and down the wings, weaving in and out of defenders, and supplying quality balls to the lads up front!!, :whistle:

I've got to say I fancy City to finish up there somewhere come May.

You've got to remember you're final place last season was helped by a mighty fine run which saw you win a lot of games... Are you capable of doing that this season?

Luton stuttered and it's closer... you're in a division where everyone is just as inconsistant as each other.

It's going to be close... But I doubt you'll be picking up the division championship this season... I'd be very impressed if you did.

Its all very well slating City for not breaking through Colchester's packed defence but some credit has to given to the opposition who defended brilliantly.They threw themselves into blocking shots,tackled hard and were very well organised.If the City defence had done the same thing away from AG and nicked a point we'd all be delighted.

I agree that City didn't play that well but they did have loads of possesion and looked threatening untill they got 20 yards out and then it was brick wall time.

On another day one of the City shots would have taken a deflection (H'field)and ended up in the net but it just didn't happen yesterday.One those days when you just don't get the breaks.It happens.

Yes, fine as far as it goes - but it doesn't answer the question that, if our shooting had been more accurate and we made their keeper work instead of the ball flying over the bar or wide, we would have won comfortably.

While I would agree that Colchester defended well, it wasn't all down to them. Several times our midfield and strikers (Wilkshire, Murray, Lita, Brooker, Bell, etc.) had plenty of time to get off good shots but were wildly inaccurate - that's poor execution not good defending.

City looked threatening until they got 20 yards out. :whistle:

In that case I was a threat to the Colchester scoresheet and I was sat in the Atyeo!

On no occasion did our midfield break past the forwards to add an extra attacking threat. Orr and Dinning don't have an attacking bone between them. Wilkshire is the one midfielder we have that can get past the forwards but playing wide on the left doesn't encourage that. Murray started to threaten in the second half but was then inexplicably substituted.

It didn't help that Lita was quite simply awful. When our defence had the ball his runs were either non-existent or, worse, pointless. How he gets so much respect I do not know.

It wasn't "one of those days". It was a very poor performance against a very average team.

On no occasion did our midfield break past the forwards to add an extra attacking threat.  Orr and Dinning don't have an attacking bone between them. 

That simply isn't true - in the first half Dinning made a very intelligent run into the box onto a pass from (I think) Smith and cut it back to the six yard line. And the best move of the match was Hill's long ball out to Murray who cushioned it into the path of Orr who shot just inches wide.

That simply isn't true - in the first half Dinning made a very intelligent run into the box onto a pass from (I think) Smith and cut it back to the six yard line. And the best move of the match was Hill's long ball out to Murray who cushioned it into the path of Orr who shot just inches wide.

Well, I don't recall either of these moments of midfield attacking play. I nust have dozed off when they happened. It was that kind of game.

Archived