IGNORED

Clayton And This Preston Malarky

Antman

I was under the impression that the earlier bid of £400K was rejected by the club.

Now the site states that Clayton turned the move down after the fee was agreed.

Firstly, hats of to Clayton for wanting to stay!

secondly, hats off to Tinman for not letting him go on loan (although it would be a bit daft to do so!)

But why did we accept £400K in the summer? especially if the Coles bid was at £500K and we rejected that.

Personally I rate Clayton much higher than young Danny ('young' - how old is clayton?!!!) and would be suprised to see the club let him go. He is far more versatile and a lot more skilfull on the ball.

Now this is just my dark imagination spinning away, but do you suppose the recent rash of signings is based in SL's mind on the near future sale of Clayton?

hope not

:whistle:

It was definitely Clayton who didn't want to move. I think that the two have differing qualities. Agree with you that Clayton is more comfortable on the ball, however, Danny is far more combative. As a pair they could work well together, I do get the jitters with Clayton simply because of the howlers he commits.

Surely one of our talented youngsters will have to be sacrificed, but are they the only two, hasn't there been some interest in our Captain? Leroy will surely be receiving a little as well?

Antman, as far as I was aware, the club accepted the offer of letting Clayton go but like he said, he turned it down...I think that was stated on the site in the summer.

When he first joined us you could see he had ability, but evryonce in a while when he's playing in the first-team he's looked a little short on confidence when attacking with the ball, but thats improving every game.

Hopefully the club will see he's an important assett and not let him leave in any circumstance!

I was under the impression that the earlier bid of £400K was rejected by the club.

Wrong impression.The club stated clearly at the time, that they had accepted an offer ADDING UP to £400k in instalments, acheivements etc.

Clayton turned down the move.

Now this is just my dark imagination spinning away, but do you suppose the recent rash of signings is based in SL's mind on the near future sale of Clayton?

Probably more to do with the likely sale of Coles or Doherty

:whistle:

Like the vast majority of clubs, we can't reject good bids.

My guess is that if someone offered £750k-£1m for Lita tomorrow, we'd take it, because we've got Gillespie, Cotterill & Heff.

DC & TD?

I reckon-£500k & £300k at the most, in todays market, as we've got replacements in both positions.

I said a while ago that we need to make up our mind about KA & CF and either play them or sell them.

Firstly, hats of to Clayton for wanting to stay!

secondly, hats off to Tinman for not letting him go on loan (although it would be a bit daft to do so!)

But why did we accept £400K in the summer? especially if the Coles bid was at £500K and we rejected that.

Personally I rate Clayton much higher than young Danny ('young' - how old is clayton?!!!) and would be suprised to see the club let him go. He is far more versatile and a lot more skilfull on the ball.

I know it's all about opinion but to me Coles is a miles better prospect than Fortune.

For one thing Fortune has no track record so far in league football, having been left on the sidelines by both Wilson and Tinnion, whilst Coles (who is barely a year older)has already proved his worth with three full seasons of first team football and brilliant man marking jobs on the likes of Earnshaw.

Secondly where is Fortune most effective? much too poor in the air for his height, he doesn't dominate physically despite his size and he fails to inspire confidence defensively.

I am not saying he's a poor player, he is good on the ball and mobile but personally I would have snapped Preston's hand off for 400k and am not convinced he will ever make a significant first team breakthrough.

It's all about opinions, though isn't it?

It was reported that an offer worth around £400k was accepted by the club in the summer (see link below).

Though they did turn down Preston's previous offers before accepting that bid.

Link To Original Story

he fails to inspire confidence defensively.

Reminds me of a certain Matt Hill when he first forced his way into the team, but look at him now, a reliable, important member of the first team.

I'd love to see a centre back pairing of Coles and Fortune. I think they'd complement eachother brilliantly, and I believe both have the ability to play in a higher division. If whilst gaining promotion, we played Coles and Fortune together, the partnership would have already been formed, Clayton would've had a decent run in the first team and gained confidence and experience, and they'd be ready to keep it tight at the back in the championship.

My City back 4...

Amankwaah Coles Fortune Hill

Got a bit of everything there and they are all players who want to play for this club.

Reminds me of a certain Matt Hill when he first forced his way into the team, but look at him now, a reliable, important member of the first team.

I'd love to see a centre back pairing of Coles and Fortune. I think they'd complement eachother brilliantly, and I believe both have the ability to play in a higher division. If whilst gaining promotion, we played Coles and Fortune together, the partnership would have already been formed, Clayton would've had a decent run in the first team and gained confidence and experience, and they'd be ready to keep it tight at the back in the championship.

My City back 4...

Amankwaah Coles Fortune Hill

Got a bit of everything there and they are all players who want to play for this club.

Can't see that myself.

Matt may have had problems early on with his distribution but he has always looked a good defensive player.

For one thing Matt Hill would ALWAYS run through a brick wall to get the ball, for his size Clayton is nowhere near physical enough.

Regarding your back four personally I don't rate Amankwaah........

nothing against Clayton Fortune but £400,000 is an LOT today- especially for a reserve team player/sub in League 1. Haunted by turning down that £600k+ bid for Aaron Brown a couple of years back and aware of our recent spending I would not be disappointed if Preston came back with £400k again (+ sell on clause) and Clayton went.

If, however, he stays then fine- he is a good player and can be used at centre back, centre mid or even upfront which is handy. NOT at left wing though Mr Tinnion!

I would like to repeat everthing Percy Parrot says, but I think that may be the wrong way around.

My long term view of Fortune is as our version of Viera - I know we are well off for defensive midfield players, but Fortune has better distribution than either Doherty or Orr and he would not just be a holding player, and his the weight of his passe matches anyone in the club.

But £400K in today's market!!!

You must have been to a lot of reserve team games mate. I haven't seen Fortune play well with the ball at his feet. He is a centre back at best.

I'd jump at £200,000 for him. He must be a talented training ground player, because I haven't seen him produce it on the pitch!

He was the one player who last night looked out of his depth (including Harley, Cotteril, Ayinsah, Gillespie) he is not a left back or a midfielder, no way.

Seeing as we haven't paid a penny for him, a half sizeable return would be biten off!

Guest Lympstone1

Clayton didn't go to Preston purely because Westham and Leeds both spoke to him and asked hinm to wait and he was prepared to do so. Watch this space.

Archived