IGNORED

Ralph Milne,.......

jimmyb

Some more quotes about our Ralph

'Ralph Milne: The man whose name still brings United fans out in a cold sweat, and perhaps the most unlikely player ever to wear United red. A snail-paced, saggy-ar*ed journeyman winger who was poached from Bristol City for £170,000 and who still failed to give value for money.'

Mike Adamson and Leander Schaerlaeckens from The Guardian Tuesday November 23, 2004

Just to balance it up though Bob from Swinton says this on United's greatest ever goals

'Ralph Milne v's Charlton (I think) '89-90 time. A 3-0 win I believe. Never have I seen such a stunning finish.'

Bob, Swinton

04/04/2003 at 15:25

Anyone know what Ralph is up to nowadays - the closest i can get is unemployed and living in Nailsea area around 2001?

Sorry to bore everyone with this but Ralphy does appear to approaching cult status

No.13 Ralph Milne....At least he played in that never forgotten New Years Day victory against the Scousers (3-1 and nearly as good as the recent Cup win) to provide one decent memory - how typically United of the times to then go and spoil it days later and lose at Boro from a Davenport goal - a striker who spent half his Old Trafford career on his arse as if the pitch were ice. But without Ralphie would those really dreadful (let's not forget how bad they were and how different to today) games have been half as entertaining. Even after 20 games he was probably thinking 'when are they going to suss out that I shouldn't be here' and Bristol City must still be laughing at the £100,000+ we paid for him. Or was that 100,000 conkers. I still find it amazing that as we hollered for a world class striker this is the player we got. But Milne should always be remembered for the fact that he was playing for us regularly exactly ten years ago - showing how far we've come But Milne summed that era up. Yet there was something about those times that was still sadistically enjoyable. We had a good time but let's not return back to them!

taken from http://www.rednews.co.uk/features/featmabc.htm

What was it exactly he was supposed to have done when he joined Man U or whilst at Man U - I am sure there was some rumour/scandal but I never found out what it was (I was reminded when Ralph was mentioned in the Cotterill to Utd thread) - anyone know (can it be posted on here?)

Agree with that - but there was some sort of scandal or high jinx - I just never found out what it was

I do remember him playing for MU (Vs qpr) He broke clear, ran half the length of the pitch and completely messed it up much to the hilarity of the commentators.

The only scandal was probably realising how much they paid for him!!

What was it exactly he was supposed to have done when he joined Man U or whilst at Man U - I am sure there was some rumour/scandal but I never found out what it was (I was reminded when Ralph was mentioned in the Cotterill to Utd thread) - anyone know (can it be posted on here?)

All i know is he had the hairdryer treatment from Fergie. They had a massive row.

Talking to him a couple of years ago he told me he was still good mates with Norman Whiteside.

I seem to recall a rather pathetic story in the News of the Wolrd about him: he was still at United when they went to Rotterdam for the CWC final in 1991, and since he was well out of the frame for the 1st team, he was stuck on the coach with the youth team players. A load of lads were mucking about on the coach, and he tried to sort it out with the "I'm a senior player" line. The lads thought he was a ###### and just lobbed a load of cans at him. Think the context was in a story a few years later and he was on the footy scrap heap.

Ferguson must have seen the wonder goal Milne got at York and thought he could do it every week.

Mind you i remember a stunning volley in a home match too.

One of the oddest transfers of all time, Nicky Tanner going from Rovers to Liverpool probably just about beating it. :dunno:

Ferguson must have seen the wonder goal Milne got at York and thought he could do it every week.

Mind you i remember a stunning volley in a home match too.

didn't Ralph score a blinding side footed volley against Man Utd in the Rob Newman (testimonial?) friendly game

It ended 3-3 as I recall

Well we all played football at some time, right? And when you are young and confident you can play well. When you have an alcohol problem and you are a bit older you might not perform too well any more. Poor old Ralphie. Remember, he played in a European Cup semi-final and two EUEFA Cup quarter finals. A great player for four seasons at Dundee United (and he was fast) but then there were tales of him being hauled out of pubs in the early hours of Saturdy morning to play the same day. No wonder the manager wanted rid. I remember Ralph running the length of the pitch to score, having beaten four defenders. Could have been a great player but all too soon showed what damage drink can do to someone whose game was once all about pace and control. We're all human though, eh?

Ralph Milne was my hero in the early '80s. He had great pace, balance and finishing and played in two EUEFA cup semis and a European Cup semi (against Roma, 1984). Ralphie did have an alcohol problem though -rumour has it that the manager hauled him out of a pub in the early hours of match day on more than one occasion...

But I remeber the Ralph that weaved his way (sober) past four defenders to score, who beat his man and chipped the keeper in a match that won the Scottish Premier league, who regularly broke clear of defences to finish coolly. But I also remember that by the time he left Dundee United his coordination was gone and he often showed too much of the ball to defenders or laboured to turn or find space. We all have a peak and fall from there sooner or later -sadly very much sooner in Ralphie's case. Could have been a great player but for the drink. Ferguson probably thought he was signing the player that did so much damage to Aberdeen FC (Dundee United were the team that took most points from Aberdeen during Fergie's time there) but the magic was well and truly gone by the time Milne got to Old Trafford. Typically, Ralphie of old would receive a pass from Sturrock that either sent him free to score or allowed him to drive at the petrified (no, really!) full-back and cut inside to shoot or pass on the outside to cross...

He is now an alcoholic living in Nailsea.

I can confirm this, ralph can be found at the bottom of several bottles of wine a day. I saw him in town a few weeks ago, shortly after he'd just pissed himself on college green.....it was 10.30am!!!

waste.

what the hell, He looks amazing in those clips.

How on earth did it all go wrong for him at City :noexpression:

great goals on there

He had a few good games for City, I remember about 88 we beat Palace in the League cup 4-1 who were in the division above and he mullered them, but this was a few years after that dundee Utd footage. Then he went off to Man U, he wasn't at City long.

Pre-season in the year he went to Man Utd he played against Clevedon - Joe Jordan was manager. Ralphe had a huge belly on him and was so unfit it was not true - after 60 minutes Joe took him off - sent him to the changing room and had no one to substitute him with and it was a surprise to Clevedon that they had to play a 10 man City team.

He must have got a rollicking from Joe as he came back and from what I remember was in fantastic form when he went to Man Utd and his first couple of games for Man Utd he seemed to play well too.

Damn shame.

Archived