IGNORED

Tinnion More Time ?

Franklin CITY

I'm fed up with the give Tinnion more time quotes. He was brought in to do a job now, not in 3 years time. The Board must have known that no new manager makes it in in first season or 2 so lets not kid ourselves. The cheap option was taken and it has backfired. Tinnion should have been offered a coaching role or an assistant's role.

The club has gone backwards in the last 6 months dispite being in a very poor league. Whilst the Board maintains this overly cautious stance we are going nowhere.

At a guess, failure to go up in May wrecked the club's financial plans.

1. Sponsors would have paid more as we'd have been in a higher div

2. Increased TV revenue

3. Auto entry to round 3 of the FA Cup

Therefore the cheapest option of available new managers was chosen.

I doubt very much the decision had anything to do with money. The reason SteveL gave was that they wanted someone who would work with what they had rather than completely change things around since they felt they were so close to promotion.

I mean it's not like the £100k to £200k a year it would cost to employ a decent league manager (the equivalent of one senior first team contract) was going to break the bank right?

Would people be happier if we'd employed say... Peter Taylor and seen 4 or 5 new signings, some current players shipped out, and a team struggling to gel just as much as this one with probably a great deal more money spent?

How many of the managers who lead clubs to promotion every season are in their first year at a club? Would we be any better even with Sven managing?

Nibor

I doubt very much the decision had anything to do with money.  The reason SteveL gave was that they wanted someone who would work with what they had rather than completely change things around since they felt they were so close to promotion. 

I mean it's not like the £100k to £200k a year it would cost to employ a decent league manager (the equivalent of one senior first team contract) was going to break the bank right?

Would people be happier if we'd employed say... Peter Taylor and seen 4 or 5 new signings, some current players shipped out, and a team struggling to gel just as much as this one with probably a great deal more money spent?

How many of the managers who lead clubs to promotion every season are in their first year at a club?  Would we be any better even with Sven managing?

Nibor

My point exactly. Tinnion may well turn out to be a reasonable manager but not in the time scales promised by the Board. Wilson should have been given one more crack at it as the team had finished higher in the leage than in each previous season. The Board needs to be open about this appointment ie its 3 more years in this cr@p league then we will get it right.

You talk of time and at the same time say Wilson should have been given more.Wilson had time /money/support and failed.To get rid of him was right.As for Tinman he has had no impact on the team in terms of improving anything that Wilson did i.e we still bottle it/lack passion/tactically inept.If he cannot improve on Danny Wilson then he is clearly the wrong choice.As he appears to prove every week.The question is how long will it be before Lansdown agrees if he ever does.

I fear that SL is lead by his wallet rather than his Footballing brain. It appears that he is happy with the cheap option but I think that he under estimates the strength of feeling about this appointment. Season ticket sales will dip a great deal next season.

Talk of keeping the status quo by appointing from within is just a smoke screen

I agree, I was not particularly happy with his appointment, but would have been delighted to have been proved wrong.

Before Danny Wilson was, quite rightly, relieved of his duties, there was some speculation as to who would replace him and I was slightly shocked to see Tinman's name cropping up on here as a possible replacement if Danny left at the end of the season.

My main argument was the nightmare scenario of one of English footballs greatest under-achieving players leading one of English football's most under-achieving clubs. With his ability he should never (apart from the last couple of years) have plied his trade in any level of football beneath the top two leagues and yet he managed to carve out a nice little niche for himself, was involved in 2 relegation seasons and only 1 successful season (1997/98 under John Ward).

It was around the time of the aforementioned promotion season that a couple of quotes raised some doubts in my mind about the character of Brian. The first was shown on the promotion video, when asked for a prediction for City's fortunes in the higher league he said in a non-convincing but apparently serious manner "we're gonnna win it!" This "talking the talk" but not being able to "walk the walk" has now come back to haunt us big style.

A few months later, just after Benny had been appointed, Tins was interviewed on the local TV and being asked his thoughts on the new manager. "Well he seems like a nice bloke" was his reply, but his body language conveyed a message of "me and my mates are going to make this guy's life hell and never mind the football club!" The unprofessional way that Tinman and most of the players conducted themselves for the rest of the season was a disgrace and as a senior pro he seemed to have a very disruptive influence. To my mind players should just get on with their job of playing football and not start sulking when a new manager turns up.

Other things that have not gone unnoticed are his perpetual arguing with officials, setting a bad example to the team and therefore not installing a good club discipline in a team containing more than one or two hotheads.

And my own personal bug bear is the number of one-footed players in the team. The times that players get into good positions but then have to re-adjust because they are incapable of using their other foot to deliver a cross or even a simple pass is extemely frustrating. This is surely something that the club would deem to be a weakness and work on in training! Can you imagine Tinman tearing a strip off Matt Hill, Danny Coles,Luke Wilkshire and Scott Murrray for not being able to use their other foot.

However, once appointed I wanted nothing but the best for Tins the manager and BCFC. I think that things were getting so desparate that I wouldn't care if George Bush or Osama bin Laden were manager of this club, if they could deliver promotion they would be heroes in my book!

But the reality is that with Tinman in charge we are not going to win promotion for many a year - I would compare him with Holloway when he first took charge at the gas, loads of passion and enthusiasm, with an eye for a good player, but not a natural born man-manager or football tactician.

Whether or not he proves to be a succesfull manager, its going to take a few years to find out, again with Holloway he learned enough in 2 or 3 years at this home team club to be succesfull at another club. The question is does Bristol City have the time to see Tinman riding on a long and gradual learning curve or do we appoint someone who is good enough and experienced enough to get the job done this season?

An excellent post.

My reservations were based on the Joe Jordan experience. Having seen us lose in the play-off final, Jordan's first full season as player manager gave us the opportunity of watching a manager learn his trade as we finished mid table.

Jordan made mistakes and as Tinman is human, it was inevitable that he too would mess up. Like you, i hope that Tinman can pull the rabbit from the hat. Our options are;

1/ Pray for good fortune this season (we're due some)

2/ Forget this season and pray that next season he does what Jordan did

3/ Appoint a director of football (which would allow SL and BT to keep their dignity) who can instill a focussed, winning attitude as well as support to BT, coaches and players. This does not have to be a full-time or permanent job so does not have to break the bank. I'm not sure who'd apply but as i've been thinking, the name of ex-City Manager Roy Hodgson sprang to mind.

Popular club figures with long service and a coaching certificate don't necessarily make good managers. Lets consider tactics, motivation, analysis of other clubs, their strengths and weaknesses,assessing club requirements, media comments things to say and not to say, consideration of budget, long term plans and short term hard decisions. Was Brian Tinnion hired on the above criterion, or because he had just had a benefit year, was popular, and had initiated enough insider support to get the job. You be the judge.

My point exactly. Tinnion may well turn out to be a reasonable manager but not in the time scales promised by the Board. Wilson should have been given one more crack at it as the team had finished higher in the leage than in each previous season. The Board needs to be open about this appointment ie its 3 more years in this cr@p league then we will get it right.

Half an inch of wood stopped us getting promotion last season....twice. 2 draws when shots hit the woodwork and bounced down the wrong side of the line . The extra 2 points would have been auto promotion and Danny boy would probably still be here.Funny how a small piece of timber can be the difference between glory and ignominy.

Guest DrFaustus
It looks as if my views are shared by Greenun. Read his excellent post ' the road to nowhere'.

Act now please Mr Landsdown before its too late.

That's right! Brink back Tony Pulis.

For the love of Angelina Jolie, you lot are a couple of points off the play offs. Err...get over the fact you aren't going up automatically. Join the play off lottery.

Fickle ****ers :clap:

Guest MaloneFM

But Greenun and his excellent post was not endorsed by Greenun. Just stuck it on and ran away as usual.

I think we can expect promotion under anyone.

Not Tins, Bertie Vogts or Osama Bin Laden as was suggested earlier. At the start of the season Luton were 15/1 to win the title. We have been favourites for the last three seasons.

And it aint happened has it?

What if you chop him now and we start again? When Jordan was chopped for not kissing Scott Davidsons ass enough Wardy came in and with the same team got to the play offs. And we went up the following season. But then he realised he wasn't good enough and walked.

IF we go up and I am not holding my breath on it, it will be under an inexperienced manager and you should be able to stand on Bemmy Down on a saturday and watch money drift into the sky over the Gate by the millions. Hear the laughing at the Mammary ground increase and watch the number of journeymen wasters signed in panic get paid a fortune for trotting around trying to save a point here and there.

Write this season off. It aint going to happen. We wont go down but I don't think the play offs are going to happen either. Lansdaown is now realising he needs to give Tins more time at the job or stump up for someone who probably wont crack it in the first season.

Name me a manager that has here? Please.

In the close season sort our the men from the boys. Personally Anyinsah is the new Murray but thats for another thread. Then he has his team. He has a season under his belt, we should have a few more bob in the bank, and we shall see.

But if that doesn't work. Back to square one for another two seasons.

Archived