IGNORED

Todays Linesman

dragonreds

todays linesman mr snart was down as coming from south glous. he actually comes from winterbourne which is no more than 8 miles from the gate. i know it does not matter for the fourth official but i thought there was a rule that the match officials must reside a minium distance away from the ground. could someone please clarify this as i took a right ribbing when i said i know the bloke

todays linesman mr snart was down as coming from south glous. he actually comes from winterbourne which is no more than 8 miles from the gate. i know it does not matter for the fourth official but i thought there was a rule that the match officials must reside a minium distance away from the ground. could someone please clarify this as i took a right ribbing when i said i know the bloke

Perhaps if he drove the long way around he would be outside the prescribed distance. Irish answer.

I am not sure, but I thought the officials had to come from at least 40 miles away. My mate reckons that rule has now ben relaxed for the Assists, however, if the ref had to go off, an Assst would take over in the middle. It wasn't just us yesterday though as I posted last week:-

New Year's Day Ref Fred Graham - Essex, Assists; Ed Martin - Somerset & Simon Snartt - South Gloucs. Will they appear scared of being biassed and therefore actually bias against City? (Nothing new there then!)

Looked round the other fixtures and both of Hull's linos are from Yorks, Torquay get one from Devon, Sheff U get 1 from Yorks and Rotherham get both from Yorks. Ipswich have a Suffolk linesman and Burnley a Lancastrian.

Now for the shock, Cheltenham's REF is from South Gloucs and on January 3rd, Huddersfield v Bristol City is reffed by Paul Robinson, a YORKSHIREMAN!!!

I am not sure, but I thought the officials had to come from at least 40 miles away. My mate reckons that rule has now ben relaxed for the Assists, however, if the ref had to go off, an Assst would take over in the middle. It wasn't just us yesterday though as I posted last week:-

New Year's Day Ref Fred Graham - Essex, Assists; Ed Martin - Somerset & Simon Snartt - South Gloucs. Will they appear scared of being biassed and therefore actually bias against City? (Nothing new there then!)

Looked round the other fixtures and both of Hull's linos are from Yorks, Torquay get one from Devon, Sheff U get 1 from Yorks and Rotherham get both from Yorks. Ipswich have a Suffolk linesman and Burnley a Lancastrian.

Now for the shock, Cheltenham's REF is from South Gloucs and on January 3rd, Huddersfield v Bristol City is reffed by Paul Robinson, a YORKSHIREMAN!!!

As far as I know - there is not minimum distance requirements - just that the referees have to declare any preference/association with any team to the FA. When appointing referees for a game I believe the FA try to ensure that they are not from the immediate area surrounding the club. However with Assistant referees they have them closer so as not to incur overnight expenses and/or risk problems with arrival. They appoint the fourth official (who takes over from the Referee should he be injured) in the same manner as the Referee.

Archived