IGNORED

Matt Hill - Good Riddance!

brady bunch

No, I disable smiley's. I'm a grown-up.

Unless this comment is meant to be of a sarcastic nature, (I don't disable smiley's, I'm not a grown-up) then you are clearly not "grown-up" enough to say that you mis understood my post.

Perhaps my reply should have been?

Ah yes tactical genius, you do make a superb point. I now realise that Ashley Cole is a tad above the standard of our very own Matthew Hill and thank you for pointing this out to me.

Much better.

TG, i have had plenty of PM'S this past month wishing we had a seperate teen and twenty room especially for the 10/14 year olds . I am open minded as its another perspective, however "those " posts are cause for plenty of deep sighs.

Guest TinmansCulturedLeftPeg

I certainly won't miss Hill,but I have to admit that I am suprised a club in a higher division have offered a six-figure for him :dunno:

Anyway,good luck to him,that division is no better than this one though....

Prestons offer accepted by City, QPR now rethinking the situation. Question will come down to where does Hill want to go. Qpr are having a bad run, but pull around 15,000 home crowds. Preston higher position but crowds around 12,000. Does he have family or friends in either area. It appears that Hill cant see City getting promoted so has decided to promote himself. Coles and Doc seem to be nervously waiting for offers too, their minds are obviously not with city right now

Coles and Doc seem to be nervously waiting for offers too, their minds are obviously not with city right now

You are spot on with your comments, I am a massive fan of the Doc, but both he and coles seem to be playing in a manner that it does not matter as much as it did before, I think a bit like the England cricket team we need more players who are "unscarred" from our past near misses.

You are spot on with your comments, I am a massive fan of the Doc, but both he and coles seem to be playing in a manner that it does not matter as much as it did before, I think a bit like the England cricket team we need more players who are "unscarred" from our past near misses.

I think you're right. Players are bound to go 'stale' if they hang around in the same unsuccessful team for too long. Self motivation becomes an issue, as weeks become months and months become years. Yes, Tommy and Coles are great players (on their day) but no-one can claim they are playing anywhere near their best. Even some of the Arsenal team are suffering from this malaise!

Therefore, if you can ship such players out for a reasonable fee (not easy!) and make adequate replacements, I don't see the problem. Forget all this sentimentality; there are too many players for whom life has become too comfortable at the Gate. Wake up or ship out!

In my view Matt Hill will be missed, but the writing was on the wall once the club made it clear to everyone in football that he was available and for what price - seems we want to move him out!

Ok, he has a clause in his contract but why advertise it to the whole world - of course to get the best price, so why tell them that for £100k he can leave!!! baffling!

Anyway, yes I'd be sorry to see Matt leave, he is a good central defender and an ok left back and he wears his heart on his sleeve. Did anyone else see the grin on the guys face when he captained city against Brighton away last year - never seen a player enjoy leading his team out so much.

With Matt going we seriously need a couple of defenders - limited cover in the centre or at left back. Any injuries, suspensions and we could be in trouble to say nothing of a drop in form for any of the remaining back line.

And at £100k who do we get to replace him?

What is his position, he is a centre back I think and I would have butler, coles and fortune in front of him in that role (Hill is okay in the air, but the others have a big height advantage, that can be used not only to defend, but to attack on set pieces).

You must be joking!! Hill is our best centre back!

Coles is a good defender, but not as commanding as hill

Butler is always likely to make a mistake

Fortune has'nt done anything to prove he's good enough yet.......

Who could we get for 100k ?  Well...

Hills salary saved

Woodmans salary saved

Hawkins salary saved

Miller may go out on loan - salary saved

Goodfella may leave/be loaned -  salary saved

That amounts to a fair amount available for this year to recruit a good central defender.

All of those "savings" are the result of our failure to make any sort of progress in the various cup competitions this year. We have lost out on some potentially big pay-days (LDV final, 3rd round of the FA Cup) so we now have to cut our costs accordingly. It is naive to think that we are going to start spending money on players in the near future. Didn't Steve Lansdown say there would be no more signings in the EP last weekend?

BEST DEFENDER AT CLUB, WE MUST BE MAD TO LET HIM GO.

23 STILL HAS YEARS AHEAD OF HIM.

IF THEY LET TOMMY GO AS WELL AS I THINK IS GOING TO HAPPEN BECAUSE HE IS BEING FROZEN OUT,THERE WILL BE ONE LESS SEASON TICKET HOLDER GOING DOWN THE GATE AND 34 YEARS OF SUPPORT WILL BE LOST.

BEST DEFENDER AT CLUB, WE MUST BE MAD TO LET HIM GO.

23 STILL HAS YEARS AHEAD OF HIM.

IF THEY LET TOMMY GO AS WELL AS I THINK IS GOING TO HAPPEN BECAUSE HE IS BEING FROZEN OUT,THERE WILL BE ONE LESS SEASON TICKET HOLDER GOING DOWN THE GATE AND 34 YEARS OF SUPPORT WILL BE LOST.

The club has no choice in selling him!!

Not sure about penalties - that could be fairly even, but he does lose attackers in the area and is a liability in that respect.  He can't pass the ball and when he gets it, it's odds on that we lose possession.

Best of luck to him if he goes, no one can fault his attitude or application, but I think his agent has played a blinder.

How can we afford a decent defender ? well..

100k for him, plus salary saved

Woodmans salary saved for season

Hawkins salary saved

Miller likely to go out on loan, so more savings there.

I think that has been said on another thread earlier as well.

We could possibly afford a decent defender with that little lot freed up. Could be a good deal for City if he goes - we could improve the squad.

Sorry to all the Hill lovers, but his committment can hide his shortcomings -everyone likes a never-say-die, 100% committed player, but he just hasn't improved enough in his distribution and marking for me.

What makes you think that it was the club who advertised he could go for 100k ? Hill and his AGENT negotiated that clause and it would be naive not to expect his agent to be touting that fact to all and sundry.

Who could we get for 100k ?  Well...

Hills salary saved

Woodmans salary saved

Hawkins salary saved

Miller may go out on loan - salary saved

Goodfella may leave/be loaned -  salary saved

That amounts to a fair amount available for this year to recruit a good central defender.

Well it was spelt out in an article on the main website and in Steve L's interview on the radio - so sounds like the club advertising the fact to me!

Also if you read the website now you will see we will not be getting anyone with the £100k as we have spent too much on strikers!!!! Oh and we have adequate cover with Fortune, Golbourne and Bell, but might need to bring someone in on load to cover for Butler. So there you go - rumours about signing a new defender etc squashed by Lansdown for now.

The club has no choice in selling him!!

THEY DO, OFFER HIM BETTER TERMS,BRISTOL LAD ALL HIS FAMILY HERE.

WE WILL HAVE TO PAY GOOD MONEY TO GET A LOANEE DOWN HERE ANYWAY WITH BUTLER OUT(MAIN SIGHT).

AND WHAT IS THAT SAYING TO CLAYTON,SORRY YOUR IN UNTIL WE GET A LOAN SIGNING IN BECAUSE YOUR NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

I WOULD RATHER SEE COLES GO AS HE'S STARTING TO BELIEVE HIS OWN HYPE,HE'S BEEN USELESS THE LAST FIVE GAMES HE'S PLAYED.

I AM EXTREMELY PEED OFF WITH THE CLUB AT THE MOMENT,I CANNOT SEE WITCH WAY WE ARE GOING.

WE SHOULD BE RUNNING AWAY WITH THIS LEAGUE, I HAVE NOT SEEN ONE GOOD TEAM DOWN THE GATE YET AND THAT INCLUDES WEDNESDAY.

I'M FED UP WITH SO SAY LITTLE CLUBS OVERTAKING US.

ALAS I THINK THE ONLY WAY IS DOWN FOR US AT THE MOMENT ESPEICALLY IF WE ARE SELLING OUR BEST PLAYERS.

THEY DO, OFFER HIM BETTER TERMS,BRISTOL LAD ALL HIS FAMILY HERE.

WE WILL HAVE TO PAY GOOD MONEY TO GET A LOANEE DOWN HERE ANYWAY WITH BUTLER OUT(MAIN SIGHT).

AND WHAT IS THAT SAYING TO CLAYTON,SORRY YOUR IN UNTIL WE GET A LOAN SIGNING IN BECAUSE YOUR NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

I WOULD RATHER SEE COLES GO AS HE'S STARTING TO BELIEVE HIS OWN HYPE,HE'S BEEN USELESS THE LAST FIVE GAMES HE'S PLAYED.

I AM EXTREMELY PEED OFF WITH THE CLUB AT THE MOMENT,I CANNOT SEE WITCH WAY WE ARE GOING.

WE SHOULD BE RUNNING AWAY WITH THIS LEAGUE, I HAVE NOT SEEN ONE GOOD TEAM DOWN THE GATE YET AND THAT INCLUDES WEDNESDAY.

I'M FED UP WITH SO SAY LITTLE CLUBS OVERTAKING US.

ALAS I THINK THE ONLY WAY IS DOWN FOR US AT THE MOMENT ESPEICALLY IF WE ARE SELLING OUR BEST PLAYERS.

WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING?

Archived