IGNORED

Ireland From Peterborough

headhunter

So Matt's gone, good luck to him. 100% effort if not the most technically gifted. He's gone where Rob Edwards went in 99 but for him it was a return to his North West routes. Rob did well there after leaving City.

Looking in the programme at the profile for the alleged replacement, Craig Ireland left me feeling a little diappointed.

Physically at 6' 3" he's OK but he'll be 30 later this year and when you read his credentials "summer free transfer from Barnsley and has played for Dunfermline, Dundee, Airdrie and Notts County" it hardly looks like we've found someone to take us to the promised land let alone keep us there !!

Listening to the commentary on Sheffield Utd it was interesting to hear Pearcy remark that Warnock has spent just £750k over the past 3 years in keeping the Blades in the division where we want to be over the. We've spent £2million over the past 4 and achieved nowt !!!!

Looking at his creditials it isn't great, but he does look like a player who is a bit nasty and could be a bit of a defensive hard man after spending all his career in the lower league, looks like the sort of big bad nasty defender we need to get out of this division, look at the teams who have got promoted of us in the last few seasons, Rotherham, Crewe, Brighton are a few examples with respect all big and ugly teams with a mean defence.

if it is for a months loan till Butler is back then it's a good move, as a perm signing I doubt.

Interesting point though is who was the last horrible mean experienced defender we signed who had spent most of his career with "smaller clubs" in the lower leagues???

A certain Shaun Taylor. if I remember right he wasn't too bad.

As for Neil Warnock, he's like Big Sam at Bolton, he knows where to find a Bargain, how to motivate players and how to get the most out of them, (oh I wish we had a manager like that!)

When Tinnion announced that we were going to get a defender on-loan I thought it would be a young defender from a premiership or league one club bot an old defender from one of the worst teams in are league :city: Oh well hopefully this Ireland will prove me wrong

Just posted a similar thing.

With Ireland,as I've posted a lot lately,it's not about "better", he's different from what we have and,if the Board get their way,he'll only be here until Butlers teeth are fixed and then gone, which, unless we sign cover, could be a bad move.

I'll keep harping on about cover until we have some for Brooker & Butler, as it's a key piece of the jigsaw in reaching the play offs.

Of course, if they both get injured at the same time,you just have to get on with it but, in essence, you need two players for each position.

Listening to the commentary on Sheffield Utd it was interesting to hear Pearcy remark that Warnock has spent just £750k over the past 3 years in keeping the Blades in the division where we want to be over the. We've spent £2million over the past 4 and achieved nowt !!!!

I reckon the main reason for that is because Sheff Utd can attract decent free transfer signings, where as we can't (ie didn't they sign Jack Lester and Andy Liddell on free transfers when we wanted them as well!). May sound funny but I believe if we were in a higher division, we wouldn't have to spend so much on transfer fees.

Headhunter quite rightly stated <"summer free transfer from Barnsley> However, the previous season Ireland had been their player of the year and suporter's player of the year etc. Trouble is Barnsley changed management and his face didn't fit. Bit like Lumsden getting rid of Bob Taylor.

Archived