IGNORED

Up The Hill

sbl800

No chance, a small club in Lancashire

Who have a great history and attendences higher than ours, they are a bigger club than we are. Jesus, where do we get this we are a big club from. We have the ptoential to be a bigger club than Preston, but as it stands we are a 3rd division club with ok attendences, with only 4 years of history that is worth noting really. Preston were a massive club time ago, we have never been a massive club.

Because us being 8th in League 2 clearly makes us a bigger club than the team in 9th in the Championship? :city:

Agree with Spud, we certainly have potential to be a bit club, but we ARE NOT a big club at the moment.

Preston ARE a better team than us - fact. We should not be thinking that we are better than these sorts of clubs who maybe don't have the money we do but DO have a better side.

They also won the FA Cup years ago. Several Times infact.

What've we won.. ah yes. The LDV Trophy...

Preston is Britains Newest City.. its in a nice part of Lancashire, almost rural in places..  New ground, 9th in Champ Div... I know where I'd go given the two clubs...

Preston is so far north its nearly in the artic; it ALWAYS rains there, it is very close to Blackpool :city: its a dirty grey hole :laugh::P Who cares what they`ve won and we will be playing them next season anyway:o

Ummm how are you judging size? Is it because Bristol is a big city that you determine BCFC to be big? Hate to tell you but we are a division 3 club....have been for many many years...they are a division 2 club....we have no case to present...no right to claim to be a bigger club. Just because more people live in Bristol than Preston doesn't mean we are bigger. Sorry to burst your bubble but the only comparison is current position and what the record books say....either way we come in second best. Matty has gone to further his career. He's been here a long time and a change will be good for him. Fair play and best wishes to him. Get over it!!!

But they haven't been a big club for years, they couldn't even beat Bolton in the Play Off Final in 2001.

when were we ever a big club?

oh and they couldn't beat Bolton for a place in the premiership? we have never even been that close, beside we couldn't even beat Brighton in the play off in 2004!!!

Bristol City - Small Club with Big Prospects - FACT!

...War Cup Winners 1941....

...Anglo-Scottish Cup winners: 1978...

I'm not sure what the war cup is, but I like the sound of it. Sounds far more exciting than the LDV Vans Trophy anyway. Perhaps it could be brought back and amalgamated with the Anglo-Scottish cup and be called the 'Anglo-Scottish War Cup'. Now that WOULD be popular.

Preston History:

Lancashire Cup Winners 1996

Division Two Champions 2000*

Division Three Champions 1971, 1996*

City History:

Freight Rover Trophy winners: 1985/86

LDV Vans Trophy winners: 2003

Anglo-Scottish Cup winners: 1978

League Cup: Semi-finalists 1970/71, 1988/89

Auto Windscreens Shield: Finalists 1999/2000

Freight Rover Trophy: Finalists 1986/87

Yes, City clearly are bigger, just look at that presigeous honours record v Preston's  :city:

Think you'll find the histoty of preston goes back far more than City, simply because when football league started in the late 19th century, most of the founder members were from the north - lancashire to be more specific. How about if we take just the "history" from the 1970's onwards, which is a bit more relevant. As my edit of your list above shows - preston don't seem quite so impressive. Lancashire cup winners 1996. Hmmm, that's impressive.

How do you measure "who is the bigger club"? If City were in the same position in the league as preston, we would have the bigger attendances, no doubt. That is how most would judge it. Ipso facto, we are a bigger club than preston.

How do you measure "who is the bigger club"? If City were in the same position in the league as preston, we would have the bigger attendances, no doubt. That is how most would judge it. Ipso facto, we are a bigger club than preston.

Actually I'd just look at the fact that they're in the division above us with better attendances, better finances, and have been above us more than we've been above them in recent history and I'd be quite happy to say Preston are bigger and better than us at least.

We need to face facts - we're not a big club and we NEVER have been. One season in the top flight and coming from a reasonably large city is nothing like being a big club, especially when we've spent the vast majority of our time in the old 3rd division with average gates of 10k give or take a couple.

We do have potential, but we've never fulfilled it and I find making any sort of claims over a club that's above us ludicrous. I think this idea that we're somehow better than this as a matter of course is behind alot of the negativity we see; there's a difference between desperately wanting to be better and expecting it as a natural right.

Nibor

Depends on person points of view, in my eyes Bristol City will always be the might reds, I always look out for them and will always follow.

However every player should have the chance to play at a higher level, Mat has been a great servant and deservers his chance, who knows he could make it at an even higher level

Good luck to him

Preston are a bigger club than city full stop. We will only be a big club when we actually win something. Ok Preston havnt done a lot in the last couple of decades, but nor have we.

For Matt Hill, he is going to the club that is bigger today, at this point in time they are better than us, get a larger attendance, and are nearing play off chances for the premiership.

These comments being made are remenisscent of spurs fans, dreaming of what was, and what could be, when in fact, they have been rubbish, and think of the gyp they are constantly getting from everyone around the country.

They also won the FA Cup years ago. Several Times infact.

What've we won.. ah yes. The LDV Trophy...

Preston is Britains Newest City.. its in a nice part of Lancashire, almost rural in places..  New ground, 9th in Champ Div... I know where I'd go given the two clubs...

3 sides are new one is 19th century Hmm, I bet there's a smilie on here that conveys laughter but I'm too lazy to look for it..

Yes, very rural, though you didn't get lost, other than disappearing back up the track that leads to my house whilst I was opening the door :city:

Actually I'd just look at the fact that they're in the division above us with better attendances, better finances, and have been above us more than we've been above them in recent history and I'd be quite happy to say Preston are bigger and better than us at least.

We do have potential, but we've never fulfilled it and I find making any sort of claims over a club that's above us ludicrous.  I think this idea that we're somehow better than this as a matter of course is behind a lot of the negativity we see; there's a difference between desperately wanting to be better and expecting it as a natural right.

Nibor

Well it depends how you define a big club. On the basis of history 100 years ago, perhaps 50, Preston are bigger. On attendances when we are in the same division, and on potential in terms of fan base and catchment area, its City. That's the one thing Madman Maguire got right in his schoolboy analysis. So until we agree on the definition, as if it matters, we can both be correct.

Guest Northender

Preston is the 3rd biggest city in the north-west. In that area there are more than 50 football clubs. Our attendencies of late have been pretty poor, due to the fact that we have spent the last 20-odd years in the wilderness. And as their is so much football on offer in our area, we have lost a generation of supporters. Slowly the people of preston have been coming back, we took 35000 to cardiff for the play off final, to boltons 19000. We took 30000 to wembly in 1994.

We are founder members of the football league.

We won the first league and cup double.

We were the only team ****il last year) to go a full season unbeaten.

We are the only club to win the FA cup without conceding a goal.

We still hold the record for a highest scoring win, (26-0 v Hyde united).

We have the oldest proffesional football stadium in the world.

We have won 2 league championships.

We have been runners up on six occasions.

We have won two FA cups.

We have been runners up on five occasions.

We have had great players such as Tom finney, Bill shankley, Howard Kendall, Frank worthington, Bobby charlton, Willie cunningham, Archie gemmill etc etc etc etc.

We are 5th in the FA all time league table.

Deepdale houses the only NATIONAL football museum. (FIFA approved).

And theres more........

we took 35000 to cardiff for the play off final, to boltons 19000. We took 30000 to wembly in 1996.

For last seasons play-off final, we were restricted to just over 36000 tickets and the season before, we took 40000 to the mickey mouse final (LDV)

Having had a quick look through their 2004 accounts, I'd say that they are as financially screwed as we are at the moment. There really is very little more income to be generated in the Championship than in League One these days (unless you are a mega club like Sunderland or Wolves). Preston's income in 2004 is about the same as ours (£4-£5million), but they have much higher costs (ie, inflated wages).

There is no doubt, however, that the name Preston North End means a lot more to football fans around the world than Bristol City. Let's not forget that our original name, Bristol South End, was a tribute to the great Preston side of the late nineteenth century.

Guest Northender
Let's not forget that our original name, Bristol South End, was a tribute to the great Preston side of the late nineteenth century.

And Tottenham Hotspur adopted our club colours and nickname(the lilywhites).

A tribute to the great PNE side THE INVINCIBLES.

Because us being 8th in League 2 clearly makes us a bigger club than the team in 9th in the Championship?  :D

Spot On

Agree with Spud, we certainly have potential to be a big club, but we ARE NOT a big club at the moment.

It depends how you define "Big Club" I would say a truly big club is someone like Real Madrid or Man Utd, which makes us a minnow.

We should not be thinking that we are better than these sorts of clubs who maybe don't have the money we do but DO have a better side.

Well, if they haven't got any money, they're certainly paying Hill enough to make him move and are signing more players like the promising Nugent from Bury.

Guest Northender
For last seasons play-off final, we were restricted to just over 36000 tickets and the season before, we took 40000 to the mickey mouse final (LDV)

Not being funny mate (and credit to you lot), but cardiff is down the road for you guys. Its a 4-5 hour trip for the north end fans.

Not being funny mate (and credit to you lot), but cardiff is down the road for you guys. Its a 4-5 hour trip for the north end fans.

I was'nt saying that your not bigger than us, just wanted to point it out......

At the end of the day, your a club at the top end of the championship......that makes u bigger than us full stop.

Archived