IGNORED

Up The Hill

sbl800

Having had a quick look through their 2004 accounts, I'd say that they are as financially screwed as we are at the moment. There really is very little more income to be generated in the Championship than in League One these days (unless you are a mega club like Sunderland or Wolves). Preston's income in 2004 is about the same as ours (£4-£5million), but they have much higher costs (ie, inflated wages).

There is no doubt, however, that the name Preston North End means a lot more to football fans around the world than Bristol City. Let's not forget that our original name, Bristol South End, was a tribute to the great Preston side of the late nineteenth century.

I guess the TV money has dried up in the Championship or their tickets are cheaper then, I was making an assumption that with higher crowds in a higher division they'd have significantly more income.

Kind of worrying for us if you consider how well our current squad would survive in the division up.

Nibor

Preston is the 3rd biggest city in the north-west. In that area there are more than 50 football clubs. Our attendencies of late have been pretty poor, due to the fact that we have spent the last 20-odd years in the wilderness. And as their is so much football on offer in our area, we have lost a generation of supporters. Slowly the people of preston have been coming back, we took 35000 to cardiff for the play off final, to boltons 19000. We took 30000 to wembly in 1994.

We are founder members of the football league.

We won the first league and cup double.

We were the only team ****il last year) to go a full season unbeaten.

We are the only club to win the FA cup without conceding a goal.

We still hold the record for a highest scoring win, (26-0 v Hyde united).

We have the oldest proffesional football stadium in the world.

We have won 2 league championships.

We have been runners up on six occasions.

We have won two FA cups.

We have been runners up on five occasions.

We have had great players such as Tom finney, Bill shankley, Howard Kendall, Frank worthington, Bobby charlton, Willie cunningham, Archie gemmill etc etc etc etc.

We are 5th in the FA all time league table.

Deepdale houses the only NATIONAL football museum. (FIFA approved).

And theres more........

Well this is really quite an infantile debate but nevertheless I'm not having it.

Preston took 35,0000 - we took 40,000. The fact its closer doesnt make that much difference, cos for a day out like a cup final people don't care about travelling further. And by the way if it takes preston 5 hours to cardiff, what do you come by - the original horse and cart your "Double" winning team used?

Preston won the Double - when there were only about 12 clubs in existence.

Ditto the FA Cup wins.

Ditto your unbeaten season.

Beat Hyde 26-0: so what.

Bobby Charlton played for preston - when he was 58. Ditto most of the rest.

etc etc

If you wanna be a Big Club cos of your history, fine, but that's all it is, history.

Guest Northender
won the Double - when there were only about 12 clubs in existence.

Ditto the FA Cup wins.

So what are you saying...it dosent count?.

Average attendances

1st Division

1.Sheff Wed 23151

2.Hull City 17668

3.Bristol City 12095

Championship

only 6 clubs with lower attendances than Bristol City

Millwall 11581

Wigan 9861

Gillingham 8156

Crewe 7031

Brighton 6325

Rotherham 6325

Work it out for yourself

No matter which way you look at it, history, attendances, position in the league or promise for the future, PRESTON ARE A BIGGER CLUB THAN CITY. END OF STORY....

We have the POTENTIAL to be bigger...but that means bullsh*t when you don't do anything about it. I cant believe people are even trying to argue that we are a bigger club.

Give it up.

Tom Finney or John Atyeo??? hmmm i wonder who is the bigger name?

It's quite interesting really.

In the last few months many a thread has has been posted on this forum about whether Bristol City are a "big" club or not.

I personally cannot see the argument here, maybe it's because I support a little team from Wiltshire!

I would always define "big" in football as someone or a collective who have achieved alot.

For someone is a "big" name player it's mainly because they've spent the majority of their careers playing top flight football, impressed with their style of play and represented their country in big events and also won their fair share of silverware.

Most of the above applies for a "big" name manager and a "big" name club.

The argument is, does having a fan base make you a big club? Or does a big city make you a "big" club?

In my opinion, the comprehensive list of PNE achievements more than suggest that Matt Hill's comments were correct because it doesn't matter if its 2005 or 1925 the PNE name still won what they did. If Bristol City had their history I'm more than sure they'd use it as the basis of their argument if someone was to stir the same debate.

And I do find it quite bold a set of fans whose team are pushing for promotion to the Championship are challenging the achievements of a club who are currently pushing to get into the promotion race of the Premiership!

I think Bristol City have only ever won one league... EVER. And that was Division 3 (South) ... all the rest have been runners up promotions which is fair enough but hardly "Big Club" status is it?

Oh and you did win the Anglo-Scottish cup and Freight Trophy and the good ol' LDV's.

(To semi-quote the late great John Lennon Hmm Bristol City "are bigger than JESUS!"

It's a silly debate, welldone for standing by your club but until someone really backs the argument up with evidence I cannot see how City are bigger.

Sorry folks.

Hang on.

Preston have done nothing in 30/40 years!

No wonder they've got dwindling crowds while ours are remarkably rising steadily, everyone around there has gone off to support Man Utd & City!

It's a big word, but I must re-emphasise that POTENTIALLY we can be a bigger club than Preston in the near future.

Do they have an academy? Plans to re-build their stadium? Are they on sound financial footing?

No-one at this club should be in awe of a club like Preston for god's sake!

Matt Hill went there because they play in a higher league than us - end of...

Preston don't even come close to Sheffield Wednesday on the scale of 'big clubs'.

I guess the TV money has dried up in the Championship or their tickets are cheaper then, I was making an assumption that with higher crowds in a higher division they'd have significantly more income.

Kind of worrying for us if you consider how well our current squad would survive in the division up.

Nibor

Their ticket prices seem to be on a par with ours (maybe even lower than ours!), and can be found here:

http://www.pnefc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Tick...,,10362,00.html

The Directors' Report in their 2004 accounts says that their average attendance last season was 13,640.

Next season Wigan could be a Premiership club with average attendances in the bottom 5 of the Championship (9861) and less than Bristol City (12095)

Does that make them a big club ?

There are a lot going on about being POTENTIALLY a big club, Torquay are potentially a big club so are Bristol Rovers, in fact any small club is potentially a big club. They are also potentially even smaller than they are now.

Totally off topic but Rich your signature's cracking me up :D

Also can people just accept that Preston ARE a bigger club than us :angry:

1. Better history.

2. Higher attendances.

3. Former players compared to ours.

4. Higher division.

Having unstable finances does not mean you are not a big club, look at Leeds for example. This topic has run it's course and it's time for people to realise Preston are bigger than City.

Crumbs :laugh:

Totally off topic but Rich your signature's cracking me up :D

Also can people just accept that Preston ARE a bigger club than us :laugh:

Gotta laugh haven't you!

I'm sure we'll see much more of this topic each and every week in new sexy adventures!

All the old boys of football will fight it out against Bristol City in a game of "mine is bigger than yours"

:P

Guest Northender
Hang on.

Preston have done nothing in 30/40 years!

No wonder they've got dwindling crowds while ours are remarkably rising steadily, everyone around there has gone off to support Man Utd & City!

It's a big word, but I must re-emphasise that POTENTIALLY we can be a bigger club than Preston in the near future.

Do they have an academy? Plans to re-build their stadium? Are they on sound financial footing?

No-one at this club should be in awe of a club like Preston for god's sake!

Matt Hill went there because they play in a higher league than us - end of...

Preston don't even come close to Sheffield Wednesday on the scale of 'big clubs'.

Hang on Phatwill.

Bristol city have done nothing in 100-odd years!

Your gates are average.

Your catchment area is massive, with only roughly about 10 clubs in your area, compared to our 50 odd.

An academy is in the process of being built, the local council delaying plans because of there facist views.

Our regenarated 30000 capacity stadium is one stand away from being completed.

We currently have some of the 1st divisions best players on our books, ie Youl Mawene, Claude Davis, Andrew Lonergan, Eddie Lewis and Matty hill :D .

Our bank-balance is not great but reasonable compared to other club in our division.

I'm not comparing us to sheff wed as they truly are a big club. I am just stating that we are a club with a long and illustrious past and the future is looking pretty rosey. And i think you would agree that you would love to be in our position.

If only David Moyes had have come to join us like he was supposed to instead of going to you I think we'd be in reverse roles! Especially if Pulis had gone to you!

There's a very thin line between success and failure, I can assure you that we're not all that far behind you at all...and for the reasons I've already stated we have the potential to go a lot further.

Good luck for the rest of the season by the way.

Hang on Phatwill.

Bristol city have done nothing in 100-odd years!

Your gates are average.

Your catchment area is massive, with only roughly about 10 clubs in your area, compared to our 50 odd.

An academy is in the process of being built, the local council delaying plans because of there facist views.

Our regenarated 30000 capacity stadium is one stand away from being completed.

We currently have some of the 1st divisions best players on our books, ie Youl Mawene, Claude Davis, Andrew Lonergan, Eddie Lewis and Matty hill :angry: .

Our bank-balance is not great but reasonable compared to other club in our division.

I'm not comparing us to sheff wed as they truly are a big club. I am just stating that we are a club with a long and illustrious past and the future is looking pretty rosey. And i think you would agree that you would love to be in our position.

He's right and they had David Healy :D

:laugh: Lucky dastards...

I was wondering when Pulis would turn up!

He is to blame for everything!

Yeh, whats your point?

And for the record I would classify Bristol Rovers as a bigger club than Swindon Town - a small-time club if ever there was one.

'We were in the premiership for a season' - yes and my how we all laughed our ####### off.

'We were in the premiership for a season' - yes and my how we all laughed our ####### off.

Heheheheheh you buckled and I laughed.

Sit my man. Sit down.

Note from other post I made on this thread: "I support a little club from Wiltshire"

I bloody loved our spell in the Premiership win, lose or draw.

Our season in the Prem was abit like your last season in the Championship... It was just funny come May.

Yeh, whats your point?

And for the record I would classify Bristol Rovers as a bigger club than Swindon Town - a small-time club if ever there was one.

I'm City til I die but in all honesty 1 season in the Premiership is better than never being in the Premiership :D

Correct me if I'm wrong :laugh:

I'm City til I die but in all honesty 1 season in the Premiership is better than never being in the Premiership :D

Correct me if I'm wrong :laugh:

Well you had 4 seasons in the 70's. Wait that was the OLD Bristol City (the girlfriend will kill me for that comment!) ... I joke! We maybe the gods of one of the biggest financial scandals in English football but hey in a history that goes back to 1879...We forgive!!!!

I've never-ever called Swindon a big club but hell I remember some glory!

In my time actively supporting Swindon I've seen us win at Wembley (one the only ever fixture lower than an LDV final, as we got demoted!!!) twice and a Division 2 TITLE. Sure 3 relegations, but it's been a hell of a ride!!! It's slowing down now though. Boo.

Guest Northender
Have a look through your 2004 accounts mate. I think you'll find that you are hopelessly in debt, just like virtually every other club in Britain.

Yes i agree but the difference is we have a multi millionaire on the board, who is a lifelong PNE fan and is ready to bail us out in times of need.

Mr Trevor Hemmings.

Yes i agree but the difference is we have a multi millionaire on the board, who is a lifelong PNE fan and is ready to bail us out in times of need.

Mr Trevor Hemmings.

Your accounts say that the Directors who served during the year were:

D Shaw (Chairman)

S M Beard

K Leeming

M J Woodhouse

A S Hughes

P Newsham

No mention of T Hemmings.

So do we. Our board is worth over £100 million.

Trevor Hemmings has a holding in your club of 28 per cent, but I also believe he owns part of Charlton Athletic?

Well this is really quite an infantile debate but nevertheless I'm not having it.

Preston took 35,0000 - we took 40,000. The fact its closer doesnt make that much difference, cos for a day out like a cup final people don't care about travelling further. And by the way if it takes preston 5 hours to cardiff, what do you come by - the original horse and cart your "Double" winning team used?

Preston won the Double - when there were only about 12 clubs in existence.

Ditto the FA Cup wins.

Bobby Charlton played for preston - when he was 58. Ditto most of the rest.

etc etc

If you wanna be a Big Club cos of your history, fine, but that's all it is, history.

Your quite right but then I just wanted to see how many infants are still up. Nite Nite

Archived