IGNORED

Division 2 Roundup

Dan Of The Dolman

Sunday's opponents lost 2-0 to top of the league Plymouth with the goals coming in the first half from Paul Wotton and David Norris gave Plymouth the 3 points.

In other 2nd Division news there was a thrilling game at Meadow Lane as QPR were held to a 3-3 draw by Notts County with QPR scoring in the last minute with Kevin Gallen scoring a equaliser which stopped Notts County getting a shock win after a Paul Heffernan hat trick for County after Steve Palmer had put the high flying hoops in front on 3 minutes but Heffernan scored his first 3 minutes later to equalise, County were then 2-1 down after Ian Richardson had put the ball in his net on 10 minutes, after a hectic first 10 minutes things were more slower but on 28 minutes Paul Heffernan scored his second to equalise for County once again, in the second half with the scores at 2-2 with 18 minutes to go County were awarded a penalty and Heffernan made no mistake in converting it and completing his hat trick, County must have thought they had won but their hearts were broken when Gallen scored in stoppage time to rescue a all important point for QPR.

Wycombe finished their game with Brighton with 9 men as Roger Johnson was dismissed by a straight red on 16 minutes, just after the hour Richard Carpenter gave Brighton the lead, just before halftime John Piercy scored the first of his 2 on 42 minutes, the scoring was resumed on 49 minutes as Chris McPhee scored to make it 3-0 to the seasiders, Piercy wrapped up on 63 minutes and two minutes later salt was rubbed into Wanderers wounds with Mark Rogers being dismissed for 2 yellow cards.

Barnsley another team in the playoffs also won today after coming from behind to win 2-1 against Hartlepool, Eifion Williams gave ‘pool the lead on 22 minutes, it looked like it would be a draw going into halftime but Kevin Betsy scored just before halftime to make it level, and in the second half it was Betsy who struck again on 69 minutes to make sure all the points went back to Yorkshire.

Colchester United drew 1-1 with Luton at Layer Road with Scott McGleish opening the scoring on 12 minutes, Luton equalised on 28 minutes through Lee Mansell the draw meant that City leapfrogged Colchester up to 5th in the league table.

In other 2nd Division games Blackpool beat Tranmere 2-1 at Bloomfield Road with Murphy and Johnson giving them a 2-0 lead Simon Haworth got a goal back for Tranmere on 82 minutes. Chesterfield came from behind to win at Saltergate against Peterborough after Richard Logan gave the visitors the lead Robinson and Glyn Hurst got the goals which gave Chesterfield the 3 points. Grimsby and Oldham drew 3-3 with Grimsby down to 10 men after Tony Crane got sent off on 16 minutes after Jevons had put the Mariners in front Johnson and Cooksey made it 2-1 to Oldham at halftime Boulding equalised on 57 Vernon gave the visitors the lead back on 73 minutes but Jevons scored his second to give Grimsby a point on 76. Rushden won 2-0 at Nene Park against Swindon with Onadi Lowe scoring twice Swindon had Fallon sent off on 30 minutes in between Lowe’s goals. Wrexham got a late winner against Stockport at Edgeley Park with Paul Barrett scoring 2 minutes from time. And to finish off the roundup Sheffield Wednesday lost 3-2 at Hillsborough against Port Vale with ex City loanee Mark Robins opening the scoring on 10 minutes Adrian Littlejohn equalised on 25 minutes, Alan Lee replied swiftly by scoring 5 minutes after to give Sheff Wed a 2-1 lead into half time in the second half Billy Paynter scored on 54 minutes to give Vale back the lead and Stephen Brooker scored in the 89th minute to put the result beyond doubt and the win means Port Vale have closed in on the playoffs, I can not write this without writing about City’s fantastic win against Brentford with Leroy Lita scoring 2 off the bench and did anyone see him pointing towards Danny Wilson while he was celebrating his first will he be included for Sunday’s game to start for the first time for City? he has staked a strong claim by winning City this important game, here is how the table looks

1st Plymouth 46 points from 23 games

2nd QPR 42 points from 23 games

3rd Barnsley 40 points from 23 games

4th Brighton 38 points from 23 games

5th City 37 points from 23 games

6th Colchester 36 points from 23 games

7th Port Vale 35 points from 22 games

8th Wrexham 34 points from 22 games

9th Luton 34 points from 23 games

10th Blackpool 33 points from 22 games

11th Hartlepool 32 points from 23 games

12th Rushden 32 points from 23 games

13th Bournemouth 32 points from 23 games

14th Swindon 31 points from 23 games

With the league wide open Sunday’s games can make the table change quite a bit with teams being able to jump 2 or 3 places, With Bournemouth only 5 points behind us we can not afford anything else but 3 points to try and reel in QPR and Plymouth there maybe people who don’t believe in the manager or some of the players but we are are in 5th place and only 5 points off of automatic promotion and maybe this little run can make a lot of difference in player morale and they believe that they can win games and are putting it into practice and with a strong side with Joe Burnell not even making the bench the battle for places is intense and the players know they have to play well or risk being dropped

Just on a final note I have composed this by myself and would appreciate some feedback and if it is popular then I will do one every Saturday evening I will write another 1 Sunday night as well.

Thanx 4 your efforts. With a few minutes to go and QPR were losing 3-2, I thought we had made some good progress on them, but it wasn't to be. Having lost to Oldham, have QPR hit their bad patch? Plymouth look as though they intend taking the title, so we are realistically aiming at 2nd if we are to go up auto. As for those above us, I had hopes of a draw between Brighton and Wycombe whilst H'pool beat Barnsley. That would really have helped us, still we can't rely on the others so here's to 3 more points v B'muff.

Thanx 4 your efforts.  With a few minutes to go and QPR were losing 3-2, I thought we had made some good progress on them, but it wasn't to be.  Having lost to Oldham, have QPR hit their bad patch?  Plymouth look as though they intend taking the title, so we are realistically aiming at 2nd if we are to go up auto.  As for those above us, I had hopes of a draw between Brighton and Wycombe whilst H'pool beat Barnsley.  That would really have helped us, still we can't rely on the others so here's to 3 more points v B'muff.

Get a grip of yourself twenty2a. There are still 23 games left to play and we are only 5 points off automatic promotion and 9 off the championship pace. Yes we have drawn too many games, but how can you write us off at such an early stage of the season.

I am certain that we will be top 2, come May.

Archived