IGNORED

Local Rivalry

Bluebeard

I only came on here to make snide remarks but, having read a few posts, it strikes me that you lot aint so different to us after all (apart from significantly lower IQ's obviously).

Now that I'm here - one question that has always intrigued me is ..... have you, as shi*heads, ever felt intimidated coming to either Eastville (before you torched it), Twerton (before you torched it) or The Mem (now fire retardant)?

Indeed, have you ever felt uncomfortable wearing those girly red shirts in and around Bristol?

The reason I ask is that I, as a Gashead, have on many occasions felt less than welcome in South (and sometmes central) Bristol. Despite the fact that some of my best mates are c**y fans, I still have a deep mistrust and dislike of all things red. My daughters have been instructed never to cross the north / south divide and I have always driven a blue car.

Am I an intolerant, paranoid dinasour or is local rivalry still alive and kicking?

Living in Horfield, even walking past dozens of bitter and angry Rovers fans outside of pubs, even wearing a City shirt, I've never once felt intimidated, the main reason being I don't believe tah fans are that ignorantly violent as to do anything to me for next to no reason. Of course you get the shouts and that, but it's just banter.

I'd prefer to see a local misguded soul, wearing a Rovers teacloth, than some glory hunting pillock in a Chelsea/Man Utd or Arsenal, or whoever's the flavour of the month shirt is, any day of the week.

Don't be intimidated, wear it with pride.

Most of us admire your dedication, it must be terrible being in City's shadow for 99% of your life?

I'd prefer to see a local misguded soul, wearing a Rovers teacloth, than some glory hunting pillock in a Chelsea/Man Utd or Arsenal, or whoever's the flavour of the month shirt is, any day of the week.

Don't be intimidated, wear it with pride.

Most of us admire your dedication, it must be terrible being in City's shadow for 99% of your life?

now that made me laugh ,and i live next door to a gas head and we enjoy a good banter,(sometimes)

I have been known to wear the red shirt with pride around the streets of baadiff and apart from a few good natured verbals have never had any grief for it - and I used to live 150 yards from Tinnion Park. ;)

Most people aren't just randomly violent for no apparant reason - the banter is part and parcel and enjoyable - never felt physically intimidated by it.

I know many don't regards City/Swindon local rivalry but after the game at Ashton Gate I've never felt so intimidated in all my life! But it wasn't banter I experienced when I got out of the ground, the guy was right up in my face... and he was not a happy-chappy!

Understandable, there were alot of Swindon fans singing behind the police but I wasn't one of them and I was just looking for the girlfriend who was in the Atyeo that day... I strayed out of the away section after the game and did regret it!

Ah well!

;)

I know many don't regards City/Swindon local rivalry but after the game at Ashton Gate I've never felt so intimidated in all my life! But it wasn't banter I experienced when I got out of the ground, the guy was right up in my face... and he was not a happy-chappy!

Understandable, there were alot of Swindon fans singing behind the police but I wasn't one of them and I was just looking for the girlfriend who was in the Atyeo that day... I strayed out of the away section after the game and did regret it!

Ah well!

:D

Oh, how did you get on that day? ;)

I grew up outside of Bristol, so I don't think I ever got as much into the rivalry as some - I still see Gasheads as the neanderthals that they are (you started it.... :blink: ) but never wanting to get into a fight with one of them.

When I came into Bristol for uni I always lived in what could be classed as Rovers areas because I went to UWE, and all the accomodation is in the north of the city. I lived in Ashley Down, and then Southmead.

I even worked in top of your old ground down in Eastville. It made a nice supermarket, didn't it? And more people are in Tesco and Ikea in a day then were in the old place in a whole season :D

Anyway, I digress. I wore the shirt numerous times around this area of Bristol, and didn't ever really feel intimidated. I even saw one person walking around uni with a Rovers shirt once. He must have been visiting for the day, because students are meant to be intelligent and understand what they wear and the statement it makes.

Nobody looks nice in a Tesco carrier bag, after all.

Alas, I digress again. I think the worst case I ever encountered was as I was getting into my car to go to a game at Ashton Gate, and a chap in a car slowed down and shouted 'up the Gas' out of his car with a grin. I just smiled back and kissed the badge.

That was honestly the worst I encountered. He was driving a Skoda, for Christ's sake. How embarassing ;)

But honestly, I've only ever encountered banter. Like I said at the start, I don't understand the extremes some people take the rivalry, but that may be growing up 20 miles outside of Bristol.

I was at College in Ashely Down for two years and was lucky enough to be able to wear my City shirt on a few occasions.

I got a little stick on Gloucester Road to the tune of "$h1thead scum" (mostly from middle aged blokes in clapped-out vans!)

The real rivalry came on the college football pitch during the lunch break! :D;)

Guest MaloneFM

I have to confess I didn't want the gas to go down to the conference. It would be Stan without Ollie.

The police and stewards treat all of us with mutual distaste but at the end of season supporters games there are none of them there. For real supporters its banter and a laugh. You see the blue and white rag on holiday and instantly the hollering starts knowing a bit of home has followed you out there.

Usually to be drank under the table by a group of 15 year old girls from Bolton.

But the ones that are the worst are the part timers that show up for the big games. They are a pain in the ass. They want to kill every Swindon supporter in the place and I wish they'd go home.

So yes its banter and rivalry but we don't want to kill each other any more.

And thats good... ;)

Before moving over to America I lived in Kingswood. Pretty much Gas central. If I drank around that area it was odds on that at the very least I'd get verbal abuse, and often more than that. Black eyes, bruises, I got my nose broken by a gashead, actually four of them, who attacked me in a pub. But, no big deal. Par for the course when living in enemy territory I guess. They always got mouthy when they were in a large group. But Kingswood isn't a huge place. I was always sure of bumping into them without their mates to back them up :angry:

Always enjoy the local rivalry and banter that exists in various forms between the two sets of supporters.

I also like the Rovers shirt,you can spot them a mile away so it gives you time to accelerate for maximum damage.

Just one thing I find strange,most Gasheads seem more than happy to mouth off at me-then again so do some City fans,but that's another story-if I supported a team,that was in a lower division for quite a while,I would maybe just bite my tongue a bit.

Classic example,City win,Rovers lose, Gashead shouts at me "######, City are crap."

Where does that leave him,funny really,oh well perhaps one day if we're ever in that position i'll find out.

Each to their own.

I've had a couple of kickings in the past and they've always been from fans wearing blue shirts - Chelsea (in late 1970s in Bemi for gods sake) and rovers, almost died at Peterborough and was roughed-up at Coventry. Ah well, such is life.

As for rivaly in bristol - it's so strong and famous it's made it into a book on the subject which features teams like liverpool / everton, man u / man c etc. Don't remember the name of the book.

I've had a couple of kickings in the past and they've always been from fans wearing blue shirts - Chelsea (in late 1970s in Bemi for gods sake) and rovers, almost died at Peterborough and was roughed-up at Coventry.  Ah well, such is life.

As for rivaly in bristol - it's so strong and famous it's made it into a book on the subject which features teams like liverpool / everton, man u / man c etc. Don't remember the name of the book.

Erm... Derby Days, by any chance?

Never been worried about you sags, like northeastfan live well away from Brizzle, and even had two sags wishing me well, when England were playing at Wembley, and they saw my City shirt.....ckin hell what a refreshing change (We were playing Chesterfraud that night for some reason, cant even remember why.

Besides its nice seeing the odd tescos bag shirt up here among the many Manure, Chelski and Real Mdread shirts which infest this place.more of them, than Dongs shirts and they are a "local" side!! :angry:

I've lived in Kingswood pretty much all my life and have the added bonus of having a city tattoo on the lower half of my arm.

I've drank/drink in pretty much all the haunts....Wetherspoons, Chase, Essex, Blackhorse, Highwayman, Star, Turnpike etc whilst wearing a T-shirt and have never really had any bother.

I once had a dig in the ribs from some bloke in he Essex whilst stood at the bar but I think that was just to let me know he saw the tattoo....I just laughed and carried on drinking my zider!

The closest I came to trouble was about 6 months ago......bare with me...

After having a few drinks in Kingswood with the missus we passed about 8 blokes who were trying to pull up a taxi, they looked dodgy so every taxi drove past. They were acting quite aggresively and then started shouting things like "come on the gas, where are you" "this place is S..t, full of gas w.....s" obviously edging for a fight. To the annoyance of the missus I shouted "its not all gas round here mate", unfortunatley, I don't think they quite heard what I said and took it that I was confronting them.....a few carried on but one stopped and started fiddling with his shoe (my guess was going for a knife), we passed him and he sneared "your lucky your with your missus mate" at which I replied "why, cus of the city/rovers thing, is that all it is?" He became more agitated thinking I was confronting him until I pulled up my sleeve to reveal the tattoo......his face lit up and suddenly I was his best mate saying "Oh mate we didn't know, we thought you were Gas.....we've come over from Bedminster, thought we'd do a few gasheads" before proceeding of to his mates who were picking on a group of lads outside centuries.

They may of been City but were complete rsoles and the type that give city a bad reputation....I'm always up for the banter even a bit of verbals...I have to, my whole family are blue!

before proceeding of to his mates who were picking on a group of lads outside centuries.

Centuries??? Don't tell me they've opened somewhere new since I left Kingswood? :angry: Or have they just renamed someplace? I've had problems in The Essex before now. The Archers is another dodgy place to go if you aren't a sag. Star, Black Horse, Wetherspoons are all safe places. The Turnpike was my local. There were never any gas in there. :laugh:

That book is called 'steaming in' mighty good read if you like that kind of thing!

Centuries??? Don't tell me they've opened somewhere new since I left Kingswood?  :o  Or have they just renamed someplace? I've had problems in The Essex before now. The Archers is another dodgy place to go if you aren't a sag. Star, Black Horse, Wetherspoons are all safe places. The Turnpike was my local. There were never any gas in there.  ;)

Centuries is the "entertainment" function rooms in the old tizer factory. They have two big rooms with bars and hire out for functions. Most Sundays there seems to be some teeny-boppers party with fights usually spilling out onto the street at the end of the night. Years ago there used to be a bar on the ground floor called "potters bar" but didn't last long due to continuous trouble!

It's always been good clean fun as far as I'm concerned, even though I did make the rather violent version of Goodnight Irene! It's a shameless plug... Don't forget you can buy it! :o

I can't understand people who really want to hurt someone because of football though I reckon a few Gasheads would have hurt us when Phillips saved that late penalty at the Memorial mud bath. Luckily we were separated by a cage!

A few of them threw stones at us when we were bus'ed in and out for another win but it just makes you laugh.

If only they weren't so rubbish... we'd be able to beat them again. Looks like it'll be Yeovil's turn next year!

Archived