IGNORED

Unsung Hero

Robbored

The Captain was superb last night.Never stopped running,broke up numerous S'hampton moves by tackling and winning the ball.

Many of Tinnion's passes were as a result of Burnell getting the ball back in the first place and yet its Tinnion who gets all the praise.

How does that old saying go?

"behind every great man theres a women"

You (could with a little imagination) interpret that as behind every great player theres someone who winns them the ball.

Unsung hero. :(

Or you could say :-

Behind every great footballer, there's a player.

Burnell really impressed me last night. I always favoured Doherty alongside Tinnion, however, have now changed my view after witnessing Joe's last couple of performances.

Still say Tinnion for Captain though :(

To be fair to Burnell this wasnt his first good performance recently. He's been playing well since the plymouth game (the league one). Which makes it all the more surprising that he was dropped in favour of Doherty.

Danny showed him incredible loyalty when he was playing poorly then dropped him when his performances improved !

Keep up the good work Joe !

Guest tinnions the man

:( Joe Burnell deserves his place ahead of Tommy who has been dissapointing this season. Tinnion - Burnell and Woodman were excellent last night.

The team played well, we need to carry that onto the Luton game and we would gaurantee 3 points then.

Guest city slicker 71

He seemed to be quite at home playing against that level, perhaps his real game bears no resemblance to the take- your pick hoofers like the ones arriving Saturday?

This is one major reason why we have to exit that awful Division., For me the real Joe has stood up.

Regards

It seems that joe has got his confidence back after the so called "fans" that booed him off the pitch against port vale , he has always broken up attacks and done the donkey work , but that extra bit of confidence is helping him to get forward a bit more and pass the ball better, and the fans are finally giving him recongnition for it.

WELL DONE BURNELL :(:D:D;):clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: :

• Admin
He was not mentioned at all during the radio broadcast until midway through the second half.

Which just goes to show how distorted a view you can get from listening purely to commentaries. I thought the first half was his best half.

If you're picking Tins & Wilkshire in a middle 3, I would opt for Joe ahead of Tommy every time as does the defensive side of things better and then has two creative players to give it to.

In 442 I would 'normally' opt for Tommy.

The above statements are based on the fact that Robin Hulbert is no longer a Bristol City player as I'd obviously have him in ahead of either of them :D

Credit where it's due though, it wasn't just last night, Joe's had several good perfomances in the team lately and I actually felt disappointed to see Doherty in the side on Saturday and Joe not even on the bench! :(

Joe had flu on Saturday, and would have started ahead of Tommy if he'd been fit.

I'm glad to see that more people are coming round to the view that I've always held: Joe Burnell is an excellent holding midfield player, who creates space and opportunities for the more skilful players to strut their stuff.

• Admin
Joe had flu on Saturday, and would have started ahead of Tommy if he'd been fit.

I'm glad to see that more people are coming round to the view that I've always held: Joe Burnell is an excellent holding midfield player, who creates space and opportunities for the more skilful players to strut their stuff.....

.....in 352 :P

The reason he got stick earlier in the season was because there were no "more skillful players" around him (or they were being placed in positions alien to them).

Hell I blame Wilson....but then I do that for most things.

I'm glad to see that more people are coming round to the view that I've always held: Joe Burnell is an excellent holding midfield player, who creates space and opportunities for the more skilful players to strut their stuff.

I'm not entirely sure that there have ever been genuine doubts about Burnell's abilities in his role as a holding midfielder in front of the back four.

The very real doubt emerges when he is played alongside Doc and asked to fulfil a very different role. With the AG crowd going gaga over one of its favourites Joe is done a this-service in comparison with a bloke who has won adoration by trying to maim other players most weeks.

Especially in a midfield 5 Burnell has a hugely important and valuable role to play.

Is it any coincidence that our recent run of poor results have coincided with Bozzie being left out of our first XI? I think we missed him for the sheffield game. He will definatly get his chance with tommy suspended, but i totally expect he will get the customary groan when he doesn't make a forward pass. I personally hope he plays so well, Tommy will have to up his game to get a sniff

Ditto.

JB actually attempted some penetrating passes on Tuesday, a couple of which nearly came off. :(

However I prefer it when he keeps it simple, I don't think he is under any illusions either. Like all the best players he is learning to play within his limitations, it's the baying of a certain section of the crowd that tempt him to try more than he can deliver.

As a rule if you can't play football you win the ball and give it to those that can! JB is probably the best we have at that and can only benefit in having a choice of ball players to give it to in Tinns and Wilkshire.

I thought Joe had a good game but what really helped him was when he had the ball the other players were in space to pass to. On most occasions Tins was there to recieve the ball.

This was playing to the players strengths, ie a ball winner winning the ball and passing it to someine who could use it.

Archived