IGNORED

Why Didn't Tommy Play?

GrahamC

I was interested in Millen's comments on last night's reserves defeat when he said that the point of the game for Heff was to give him some much needed match fitness.

I looked at our line up and there was no Tommy in it.

I can't remember the last first team game he started (maybe Luton?) but surely no-one can be in more need of match fitness than him.

Can anyone think why he wouldn't have started? It can't have been for fear of picking up another booking, can it?

Posted something similar yesterday when I saw the reserves line up. I'd have expected both Doherty and Murray to have been involved in some capacity last night since they're not starting for the first team at present. The club complain about the lack of reserve team fixtures for the first team squad members and then when we do have a match we fill the side mostly with youngsters who are probably playing regularly in the academy fixtures anyway.

The performance of our reserve sides leaves a lot to be desired.

Both the youth and the ressies seem to be on the losing side far too often, and the usual excuses are trotted out.

Where was Tommy indeed?!! I think its fair that we as the paying fans know whats happening here, as he was a key player for the team and his sudden fall from grace isn't just down to a spot of flu.

This season has taken a sadly familiar pattern. One of underachievement.

and whilst this isn't a 'go' a Steve L, he was the one who wished to judge Tinman after 10-15 games. Well Steve, here we are in january slowly losing touch.(and don't quote that 'shovel' speech please, we don't only shovel it - we pay to watch it)

I question the coaching structure at the club, both the quality and the way the reserve teams feed into the first team.

Much has been made of whether we should have the academy and I still think it's worthwhile, but if the manager and the assistant haven't the guile to intergrate the youngsters into a longer term plan then why bother.

(I'm referring to Goldbourne and Brown and Gillespie here, and I do appreciate that Gillispie didn't perform that brilliantly last time he made the first team)

I questioned BT's appointment at the time, but I have got behind 'em none the less. my main critiscm was appointing Millen. That doubt remains. That surely was a job for a John Gorman/Joe Jordan figure - a solid assistant coach with experience. I think that lack of experience shows when we cannot react to the situation on the pitch.

This was meant to be a quick reply, but the more I think about it all, the madder I get.

As I mentioned earlier, SL's 'shovel it on the beaches..' speech left me even madder.

I think this seasons going down the U-Bend, But I'm happy for you to prove me wrong Tinman.

:o

I was interested in Millen's comments on last night's reserves defeat when he said that the point of the game for Heff was to give him some much needed match fitness.

I looked at our line up and there was no Tommy in it.

I can't remember the last first team game he started (maybe Luton?) but surely no-one can be in more need of match fitness than him.

Can anyone think why he wouldn't have started? It can't have been for fear of picking up another booking, can it?

Apparently a booking does count against you in the reserves,but apart from that,can you see Tommy[in his present mood]even turning up for a night game away to Plymouth?...I very much doubt it

Archived