IGNORED

From The Steve L Forum

elko

Benny Lennartsson's record as City manager.

Played 31

Won 6

Drew 9

Lost 16

This is the worst record of any City manager that has been in post for more than half a season.

... no worse than most would have achieved in the face of the wanton lack of co-operation that greeted his being left holding the "Bristol Brat" and seeing all the toys that got flung out of its pram.

Have I stumbled into the Jon Macguire School for the hopelessly gullible! No way that these three would ever join. Made a good story for the EP though.

why did they go to the unicorn hotel for an interview then?hey,hey

graham b knows nought about football, face facts, your just a ward(worst manager ever, apart from pullis) lover, and you cant see no further than the end of your nose when it comes to the bootifull game.

Yeah just re-read the interview with Benny again... Get him back and sort out the "comfort-zone" we have, like he did last time.

Lets get him in that Director of Football role he should of had all those years ago. Leave Tinnion in charge of the 1st team, but put Benny in charge of the club, and their profesionalism

I would welcome back Benny in a support role, I think he is a great coach of youngsters and has experience being a manager, He is the sort of person who should have appointed with Tinman, or (though i hate the thought) a director of football.

We obviously need an experienced hand around, which keeps getting reiterated over and over,

Benny would be a fine choice.

You will find that Benny's win percentage (19%) is actually better than Ward's (18.75%) not by much but not as bad as you're making out. 

I only quoted Benny's overall record. I did not make comparisons, but seeing you brought it up, Ward had a better point per game ratio than Benny in the season. That I find surprising when one is a top international coach and the other a lower league manager.

I only quoted Benny's overall record. I did not make comparisons, but seeing you brought it up, Ward had a better point per game ratio than Benny in the season. That I find surprising when one is a top international coach and the other a lower league manager.

We can only speculate how much better Lennartsson's record would have been if (as their contracts required) the club's senior "professionals" had granted him the same co-operation they had to Ward; similarly, how much worse would John Ward's record have been if their behaviour under him had been as shameful as it became as soon as he left?

If you could find those answers, you'd be better placed to make a sensible comparisson.

We can only speculate how much better Lennartsson's record would have been if  (as their contracts required) the club's senior "professionals" had granted him the same co-operation they had to Ward; similarly, how much worse would John Ward's record have been if their behaviour under him had been as shameful as it became as soon as he left?

If you could find those answers, you'd be better placed to make a sensible comparisson.

Ever thought Benni was foisted on the whole club? Just to play devils advocate. In any of your daily workplaces, do you lot like it if a new boss is foisted on you? Also who knows what attitiude Benni took with said players? Look at Tinmans way of man management for an example.

If you have to bring back old coaches might I suggest Terry Cooper, Joe Jordan? as better alternatives to Benni, just to broaden the discussion.

You gotta be havin a laugh suggestin Benni, though...........

Ever thought Benni was foisted on the whole club? Just to play devils advocate. In any of your daily workplaces, do you lot like it if a new boss is foisted on you?

I have 21 years' service with the same company, I have lost count of how many times the boss has changed in that time; not once did I have a vote in the decision. Nor have I ever responded to a change by withdrawing my co-operation, it would not be in anybody's interests to do so, least of all mine; if colleagues and I reacted as many City employees did in 1998, the firm would probably be out of business by now.

1998 was City's annus horablis - a monumental collective balls-up starting (IMHO) with the decision in March not to reward Shaun Goater his proven worth, through the summer's record expenditure on unsuitable players, and ending in October with the studied over-reaction of club employees to John Ward's departure. By that time we were in such a mess we needed a miracle to stay up and it could only have been done with everyone pulling in the same direction - we got the opposite. End of.

Most of those who played Russian Roulette with their own careers and City's fortunes have moved on (down and/or out in most cases) while those who remain, mainly the fans, are still paying the price for their self-indulgent perfidy.

Ever thought Benni was foisted on the whole club? Just to play devils advocate. In any of your daily workplaces, do you lot like it if a new boss is foisted on you? Also who knows what attitiude Benni took with said players? Look at Tinmans way of man management for an example.

If you have to bring back old coaches might I suggest Terry Cooper, Joe Jordan? as better alternatives to Benni, just to broaden the discussion.

You gotta be havin a laugh suggestin Benni, though...........

This really is very old ground but anyway....

Following discussions between Ward and the Chairman, the decision was made to appoint a Director of Football type character. Ward wanted Harford - Davidson got Lennartsson, a highly successful coach in Europe who had been part of the coaching team that steered Sweden to the Semi-Finals of the World Cup in 1994.

Benny was not Ward's choice but if JW had acted in a more mature manner and had at least attempted to work and learn from Benny, who knows what might have happened. It's well known that Benny's training methods and regimes didn't go down well with some of the players, especially some of the senior professionals (i.e. those that should know better) but Benny started kicking the wasters out and the club started to look meaner and fitter.

The players who under Ward had had a relatively easy time were given the metaphorical kick up the arse when Benny turned - some of them didn't like it, didn't pull their weight, let Benny down and the club and we got relegated.

It was a big mistake letting Benny go - how the Academy would have flourished under his tutelage - we may never know.

I don't know what point you're trying to make about 'foisting' - is it because he was foreign? Not Ward's choice? The Chairman and the manager agreed that this sort of coach was required. Don't you remember Ward saying 'I don't know what I'm doing - I've run out of ideas'?

Interesting that you mention Tinnion's style of management though. I believe he was a senior pro under Benny....

Following discussions between Ward and the Chairman, the decision was made to appoint a Director of Football type character.  Ward wanted Harford - Davidson got Lennartsson, a highly successful coach in Europe who had been part of the coaching team that steered Sweden to the Semi-Finals of the World Cup in 1994.

Benny was not Ward's choice but if JW had acted in a more mature manner and had at least attempted to work and learn from Benny, who knows what might have happened.  It's well known that Benny's training methods and regimes didn't go down well with some of the players, especially some of the senior professionals (i.e. those that should know better) but Benny started kicking the wasters out and the club started to look meaner and fitter. 

The players who under Ward had had a relatively easy time were given the metaphorical kick up the arse when Benny turned - some of them didn't like it, didn't pull their weight, let Benny down and the club and we got relegated.

It was a big mistake letting Benny go - how the Academy would have flourished under his tutelage - we may never know.

I don't know what point you're trying to make about 'foisting' - is it because he was foreign?  Not Ward's choice?  The Chairman and the manager agreed that this sort of coach was required.  Don't you remember Ward saying 'I don't know what I'm doing - I've run out of ideas'?

Interesting that you mention Tinnion's style of management though.  I believe he was a senior pro under Benny....

Spot on.

Following discussions between Ward and the Chairman, the decision was made to appoint a Director of Football type character.  Ward wanted Harford - Davidson got Lennartsson, a highly successful coach in Europe who had been part of the coaching team that steered Sweden to the Semi-Finals of the World Cup in 1994.

Benny was not Ward's choice but if JW had acted in a more mature manner and had at least attempted to work and learn from Benny, who knows what might have happened.  It's well known that Benny's training methods and regimes didn't go down well with some of the players, especially some of the senior professionals (i.e. those that should know better) but Benny started kicking the wasters out and the club started to look meaner and fitter. 

I don't know what point you're trying to make about 'foisting' - is it because he was foreign?  Not Ward's choice?  The Chairman and the manager agreed that this sort of coach was required.  Don't you remember Ward saying 'I don't know what I'm doing - I've run out of ideas'?

Interesting that you mention Tinnion's style of management though.  I believe he was a senior pro under Benny....

I have to say, Magilla's take on Benny's time at the club is much in line with mine.

I've just read the interview above and I noticed this quote:

"Well I think it was Aaron Brown to start with, especially his speed and his running ability and his good left foot. When he was playing on the wide left, he was a bit too static. He didn't use his speed and running ability, but when he played inside in a central position with Brian Tinnion they started to create something good."

I'm not sure what point is being made about Tinnion's management style compared with Benny's, but it seems from that comment that he was one senior pro that Lennartson rated.

don't know what point you're trying to make about 'foisting' - is it because he was foreign?  Not Ward's choice?  The Chairman and the manager agreed that this sort of coach was required.  Don't you remember Ward saying 'I don't know what I'm doing - I've run out of ideas'?

Magilla, as usual a thought provoking post, so I'll try and explain my thinking (difficult I know!)

Was thinking of Bennis approach- ie the hard @ssed approach all round-not the foreign bit, although, North Europeans are rather blunt in dealing with what they see as bad practices...The Ward issue i'm aware of, and have fox all sympathy for him. Can still remember the promotion season, last home game-all our squad strolling round looking as if they couldnt give a poo-the wife commented on it then, at the time i laughed at her-but she was right-they didnt as shown since. and Yes Tins was a senior pro, as was Bell, Millen?, Taylor,and the likes of Doc, Phillips, Brown, Fowler, who had come through the ranks- none of which have excatly covered themselves in glory since. I suspect the real rot set in at that time, and thinking about it, maybe, just maybe Tins is part of the problem, as you intimate. It does make sense too.

As to those who commented on the new broom to a company (Red Un)-fair comment, but you do initially resent having to change wht you see as good practices-a natural human reaction-which is what I was meaning-someone who changes everything usually stores up a lot of resentment, which takes time to clear up, linking with my comment above.

Benni, would in the right circumstances be the right man for the job, but IMHO, not here, not now-he would simply create many more problems for us, at a critical time, in which we cannot afford to waste more time. There must be an immediate improvement, not one which could take years-simply put City (and similar position clubs to ourselves) are running out of time to get into the Championship, with out being one season wonders, like our last fleeting visit. Once we get there, then Benni may well be the man for the job, but its getting there, and shifting the deadwood outta here, which has to be done first.

1: John Ward did not buy strikers, the decision was taken out of his hands by Mr Davidson.

2: Benny was not a nice man, very arrogant and had no respect.

3: As a coach, he commanded no respect from the players. This showed i our performances, some of the worst I have seen as a supporter.

4: John Ward was finding his feet in a new division with players he hadn't chosen to buy. He had just got a win against Bolton in a great game live on Sky and the plot to get rid of him was already in motion.

Appointing Lennartson was a thousand steps backward and mirrored only by scenes on Dream Team a few series ago when i could be bothered to watch before it got even more ridiculous.

1: John Ward did not buy strikers, the decision was taken out of his hands by Mr Davidson.

Ward gave Davidson a list before he went on holiday.  I believe there were strikers on that list.  Ward did buy Dyche, Watts and Hutchings as well mind.

Met him have you?  I have - friendly, down to earth bloke, always willing to talk about his time at City.

3: As a coach, he commanded no respect from the players. This showed i  our performances, some of the worst I have seen as a supporter.

As a human being he was not respected by many of the overpaid, over-rated wasters that were at the club at that time.  How a coach involved with a World Cup semi-final side can not be respected by that lot is beyond me.  And is it his fault he was not respected?  Is it his fault that the players turned in cack performances because they didn't get on with him?  He swept away the comfort zone and they didn't like it.

4: John Ward was finding his feet in a new division with players he hadn't chosen to buy. He had just got a win against Bolton in a great game live on Sky and the plot to get rid of him was already in motion.

John Ward didn't have a clue and admitted as such in the press.  Benny came in, Ward didn't like it, childishly flounced out of the club and the rest is history.

Appointing Lennartson was a thousand steps backward and mirrored only by scenes on Dream Team a few series ago when i could be bothered to watch before it got even more ridiculous.

Sacking Lennartsson was a million steps backwards.  Superb coach, excellent work with young footballers, spotted the wasters a mile off and bounced them out of the club.

Still think the current problems eminated during his time, and although, he may not be responsible for them personally-an awful ot of what is currently cr@p at this club is down to that period.

And he's ablely been assited by Ward, Clueless, Wonderson, Fawthrop, and various board members, several players, and even by us the fans, at some stage during the intervening years.

A lot of the faces of the period are still here, and as Magilla said, some were senior (and junior) pros.Ideas formed then, are whats currently blighting City.

It would be a mistake having him back at this moment in time, IMHO, and I have taken on board some of others views. In there words of the ad, there is a better way-we just have to stum.....sorry find it!!

All I will say about Benny, was that his first two matches in charge were 0-5 (away to Bradford) and 1-6 (home to Wolves).

In a few short months he had turned the tide and we outplayed Ipswich and Sunderland at AG at the end of the season who were both on their way to the Prem (yep i know we unluckily lost both 0-1) but it was an amazing transformation in my view.

Unfortunately Benny was perceived as figure of fun from day 1 and that will always remain.

3: As a coach, he commanded no respect from the players. This showed i  our performances, some of the worst I have seen as a supporter.

ward did not buy tony thorpe, he did however buy the legends watts and hutchins.

read the gatepost about benny, after he was sacked, davidson made it plain that the rest of citys board wanted him gone not scott davidson, it was an terrible mistake and letting soren(danish international) go for 130k was the other.

i think we did have a chance of bouncing straight back even though akinbiyi and brennan were sold, pulis being appointed soon sorted that out, what with every decent footballer under threat of being sold because they wernt 6ft 2 in monsters

he commanded no respect, mmmmm yes for about 5 games, then the improvment then a decent side, jim brennans biggest influence on his career, yep benny len.

he was arrogant, how do you know.

ward finding his feet, he allready spent a season at the gas, took em down, remember is wonderfull statment,"john what are you going to do now" wards response"don't know".

mr ward went off to watch clement zwiningburg, came back and said signe him, he started 1 game in 3 months.

I'm not sure what point is being made about Tinnion's management style compared with Benny's, but it seems from that comment that he was one senior pro that Lennartson rated.

As has been said elesewhere in the thread, a lot of this is old ground, but having spoken to Benny about Tins in the last year, and vice versa, I think it's worth setting the record straight on a few things.

I had a long chat on the phone with Benny this time last year. We were putting together the Tinnion testimonial brochure and I wanted some input from him. He was charming, chatty and friendly, and clearly still had a great fondness for City. I quickly got the quote I needed for the brochure, but we then chatted for an hour about football in general and his time at City in particular.

He had a lot to say, much of which is covered in the Incider article. But he did make some points about the comfort zone that existed amongst certain players at the club at the time, and their shocking approach to training, diet, fitness and professionalism. But one of the players he singled out for praise was Brian Tinnion. Benny felt that if the rest of the players had had his dedication and attitude, we wouldn't have ended up where we did that season.

Having also spoken to Tins about Benny, the feeling is clearly mutual. When Tins was taking his UEFA coaching badge a couple of years ago he spent a week or so in the close season working with Benny at Viking Stavanger. He was really taken with the totally different, positive and always professional training ground culture that he saw there. I get the feeling that's what he's looking to instill at Bristol City. And if there are players who aren't happy with that way of doing things, then they will be on their way, if they haven't gone already.

I believe that if Benny had been given time at City in the job for which he was originally employed then it would only have been beneficial to this club. His departure was part of a chain of events that has set us back years. I firmly believe that Brian Tinnion has the desire and the ability to carry out the resurrection job that Benny was not able to achieve. I also believe that Tins must, and will, be given the time to do the job properly.

And, for the record, and the conspiracy theorists amongst you, I am not aware that there is any likelihood whasoever of Benny returning to the club in any capacity whatsoever. But if Steve is tempted, I do have his phone number ;-)

As has been said elesewhere in the thread, a lot of this is old ground, but having spoken to Benny about Tins in the last year, and vice versa, I think it's worth setting the record straight on a few things.

I had  a long chat on the phone with Benny this time last year. We were putting together the Tinnion testimonial brochure and I wanted some input from him. He was charming, chatty and friendly, and clearly still had a great fondness for City. I quickly got the quote I needed for the brochure, but we then chatted for an hour about football in general and his time at City in particular.

He had a lot to say, much of which is covered in the Incider article. But he did make some points about the comfort zone that existed amongst certain players at the club at the time, and their shocking approach to training, diet, fitness and professionalism. But one of the players he singled out for praise was Brian Tinnion. Benny felt that if the rest of the players had had his dedication and attitude, we wouldn't have ended up where we did that season.

Having also spoken to Tins about Benny, the feeling is clearly mutual. When Tins was taking his UEFA coaching badge a couple of years ago he spent a  week or so in the close season working with Benny at Viking Stavanger. He  was really taken with the totally different, positive and always professional training ground culture that he saw there. I get the feeling that's what he's looking to instill at Bristol City. And if there are players who aren't happy with that way of doing things, then they will be on their way, if they haven't gone already.

I believe that if Benny had been given time at City in the job for which he was originally employed then it would only have been beneficial to this club. His departure was part of a chain of events that has set us back years. I firmly believe that Brian Tinnion has the desire and the ability to carry out the resurrection job that Benny was not able to achieve. I also believe that Tins must, and will, be given the time to do the job properly.

And, for the record, and the conspiracy theorists amongst you, I am not aware that there is any likelihood whasoever of Benny returning to the club in any capacity whatsoever. But if Steve is tempted, I do have his phone number ;-)

Interesting stuff.

Football is a NOW business I suppose. But it's interesting that there are so many well argued points on this thread in appreciation of what Benny tried to do at the club. And regrets that he wasn't given more time to shake the comfort zone players out of the club and get together a team who wanted to play for the club - which he had done by the end of the season.

Having read the above perhaps Tinnion is trying to do the same thing Benny did, but again there are a lot of people who don't want to give him time to do it. Maybe we'll be having the same regrets in a few years time all over again if we don't stick with it.

Guest hairyshamrock
am I the only one who actually spat out tea through laughter whilst reading this? As much as an 'ass manager' sounds intruiging, Benny was awful. Was this post well covered in sarcasm?

Well, as Ass manager, he'd have plenty of Asses to manage at the moment! Makes you wonder who Tinnion will be left managing though...

I had  a long chat on the phone with Benny this time last year. We were putting together the Tinnion testimonial brochure and I wanted some input from him. He was charming, chatty and friendly, and clearly still had a great fondness for City. I quickly got the quote I needed for the brochure, but we then chatted for an hour about football in general and his time at City in particular.

Having also spoken to Tins about Benny, the feeling is clearly mutual. When Tins was taking his UEFA coaching badge a couple of years ago he spent a  week or so in the close season working with Benny at Viking Stavanger. He  was really taken with the totally different, positive and always professional training ground culture that he saw there. I get the feeling that's what he's looking to instill at Bristol City. And if there are players who aren't happy with that way of doing things, then they will be on their way, if they haven't gone already.

DaveL

I have in the past made some particularly rotten digs at you Dave but after this brilliant informative post I proffer my unreserved apology - I always liked Benny and wish him well and maybe this one post alone will change my opinion of Tins as I didn't know of his taking advice/tuition from Benny.

There maybe hope yet - sort 'em out Tins

ward didnt but tony thorpe, he did however buy the legends, jullian watts and carl hutchins.

benny wasnt a nice man..... how do you know

ward said on sky telly, he didnt know what to do after a terrible showing at ipswitch.

city were a million times better at the end of the season, than at the start, as were all(yes all)the players.

why did they go to the unicorn hotel for an interview then?hey,hey

graham b knows nought about football, face facts, your just a ward(worst manager ever, apart from pullis) lover, and you cant see no further than the end of your nose when it comes to the bootifull game.

As I know 'nought about football' and you can remember so clearly the happenings of five years ago was it all three that went to the Unicorn and did any of them join? I realise that I had asked this before but I fear you may have missed it as it was on page 1 of the thread.

Also while I have your attention. Perhaps you can confirm when Matty Hill made his debut and the score in that match as Benny seems to remember it differently to me (Incider interview posted by Tom F earlier in this thread.)

And whilst I'm at it. If Benny was effectively running the Academy (same interview) what was David Burnside's role in the club at the time?

and another. The Ward 'I don't know' quote. Was it on Sky (your take) or in the press? (Magilla's take). It would be nice to know the exact context of the original quote.

May I thank you in advance for taking the time to answer these questions. Hopefully this can be the start of my re-education and I can only apologise for having an opinion which was contrary to your own.

To get back on thread - Benny would be an excellent appointment to us as footballing director - however would Steve L want to pay his wages - I thought the reason DW left was due to cut backs on non playing staff.

Just like the appointment of Colin S - this would be a great step forward in sorting out a proper structure for our footballing side of the business.

As I know 'nought about football' and you can remember so clearly the happenings of five years ago was it all three that went to the Unicorn and did any of them join? I realise that I had asked this before but I fear you may have missed it as it was on page 1 of the thread.

Also while I have your attention. Perhaps you can confirm when Matty Hill made his debut and the score in that match as Benny seems to remember it differently to me (Incider interview posted by Tom F earlier in this thread.)

And whilst I'm at it. If Benny was effectively running the Academy (same interview) what was David Burnside's role in the club at the time?

and another. The Ward 'I don't know' quote.  Was it on Sky (your take) or in the press? (Magilla's take).  It would be nice to know the exact context of the original quote.

May I thank you in advance for taking the time to answer these questions. Hopefully this can be the start of my re-education and I can only apologise for having an opinion which was contrary to your own.

benny was running the accadamy???

will that be the period when....hill,burnell,coles, aaron brown to name but a few(all decent pros,shuddered then, with mention of burnell).

has for the quote, i think it was on skys nationwide programme, it went sumut like this.

well john what you going to do now after that display....ward, i don't know.

as for the scandinavians, wether they signed or not, at least they were quality and took the time to see what was on offer, ljunberg was news to me but dosnt surprise me.

I'm realy pleased your re-education as started, we got to face facts, the rot set in with about 6-7 games to go in our promotion season, woefull performances at the likes of chesterfield and preston(cost us the title)just carried on and made worse by ward not signing a decent defender/midfielder(shuddered again, thinking about watts and hutchins).

reading the other threads on here sort of backs up what ive thought all allong,.

benny became more popular has people realize that wards mismanagment in the summers were it all went wrong.

As your answers have only served to further confuse me in my quest for re-education I wonder if you could clarify the meaning of the following quotes by yourself and Mr Lennartsson

'ward finding his feet, he allready spent a season at the gas, took em down' (Leadman earlier in the thread)

Ward did indeed take them down. He was appointed in mid March when they were already doomed to relegation. In the other two seasons he was in charge he took them to just missing the playoffs and into the playoffs. You appear to select only a portion of the above. Was this an error on your part?

'outplaying most teams we played, i.e promtion teams like ipswitch,brum and bolton to name a few' (Leadman earlier in thread)

Could you confirm the results of these matches as being loss,loss and loss.

'We won no games in January, February or March and became anchored in a relegation dogfight.' (Incider article. Posted by Tom F) and also lost four of our last six games (my interjection)

How does this tally with the improvement that you report seeing?

'Actually, I remember Hill played in my first game. He came on for Mickey Bell and we lost 5-1.' (Benny quote from article in Incider)

Wasn't Hill's debut in Benny's second match which we lost 6-1 (half time entertainment was good though!)?

'After a couple of months it was okay but I was running two teams in a way, the Academy and the first team.' (Benny quote from article in the Incider)

I thought Dave Burnside was the Academy director at the time. Can you confirm this?

Regarding his European contacts. None of the three mentioned joined the club, Testi and Seebok had already been scouted by the club and Bo Andersen followed Benny from club to club like a loyal dog. Is this adequate proof of a great European network?

and one final one.... had Benny managed a full time professional club before coming to Bristol?

Thanks again.

Archived