IGNORED

Severnside Planning Application Refusal

openEnd

Cheers, but they definitely said it appeared in yesterday EP, and that an appeal was extremely likely.

I am totally in the dark on this, can anyone share any info?

I have no reason to disbelieve this source, he's a friend. However I can't believe that no-one had already posted on the subject.

Found this...

Evening Post, 27th Dec

TIME FOR A KICK-START

11:00 - 27 December 2003

It is to be hoped that the opposition to the planned 30,000-seater stadium at Severnside will prove only to be a hitch. For this is something that the Greater Bristol area badly needs and has needed for years.

And Severnside is arguably the only place where such a stadium could be built.

We have spent years listening to proposals for building elsewhere around the city.

But the truth is there is nowhere else that is practical. Whether you look at it from the point of view of available land or transport links there are problems with every other possible site.

Last time building at Severnside was proposed it was defeated on the bizarre grounds of safety.

The argument hinged on the danger to a big crowd of a plane crashing into one of the Avonmouth chemical works.

The passage of time has done nothing to make that argument seem any less ludicrous.

So we have to hope that this time round common sense will be seen to prevail.

For the first time we seem to have a genuine chance of a new stadium being built. It would be one that is supported by both Bristol City and Bristol Rovers, one that would be a tremendous asset to both clubs and to the city. It would be a stadium worthy of the capital of the West.

There are numerous examples of new stadia being built on the outskirts of towns and cities around the country.

But the Severnside scheme would be unique in being the first purpose-built stadium to be shared by two rival clubs.

Although it happens on the continent, we would be breaking new ground. And that's something to feel proud of and something worth fighting for.

What we have to hope is that the spirit of co-operation which is evident in the clubs' support for this stadium is present also in the attitude of politicians and council of ficials.

Make no mistake, this represents a great opportunity, one which we must not pass up.

The important thing is to avoid thinking in the short term. Yes, such a scheme, together with the houses being planned, would be a huge under taking.

But we need to consider the long term. And we need to learn the lessons of the supertram.

Whilst we waited and talked, others built and the chances of us seeing a tram network in Bristol seem very thin.

We must not allow the plans for a new stadium to go the same way.

Cheers Tom, I read that earlier. I was left with a number of questions.

Who wrote this? Who is 'we' that they continually refer to?

Was it what appeared in the EP yesterday?

Is seems like Redrow esque propoganda to me.

Hardly a balanced piece of reporting is it?

I don't care who the "we" refers to. I'm just happy that it's been refused (well, I hope it has.)

Now, lets paln a redevelopment of Ashton Gate! :D Wahoo!

No complaints here either.

^_^:):rolleyes: Round of applause for South Glos Council

You can sick your Severnside, stick your Severnside.....

......SIDEWAYS!

The text from the post is what appeared in their editorial, so the "we" is the post editor - a fairly typical rant!

At this stage I don't think any application has been refused, it is just a statement from officers. I think the S.Glos cabinet are considering the Local Plan designation and stadium proposals on 5th Jan. From what I can gather, there is a lot of political opposition to is, as well as some support.

According to the papers on the S.Glos council website, the proposal by Redrow Homes to change the local plan designation (2000 homes, employment land, community facilities etc, as well as the stadium) is not being accepted by the planning officers for a whole load of reasons - flood risk, health & safety (too close to the chemical works), contrary to the structure plan that has been approved for the whole of Avon etc.

My guess would be that the councillors will agree on 5th jan. I think it does still leave Redrow with the option of appearing at the Local Plan Inquiry in March.

Sorry really boring stuff, end of planning lesson for today.

Good news is that it doesn't look like this remains a realistic option for the club and hopefully they will now put effort into redevelopment of Ashton Gate (speaking as someone who lives 10 mins walk from the Gate, I am biased)

Good news is that S.Glos cabinet did indeed throw this proposal out today, there is no support locally, politicians are against it, so it really does look like the end. Although I am sure there are still a few threads Redrow could continue with to try and get the value out of the site they own!

Happy Days :wacko:

Yeah I saw it earlier on points west.

:Party27: :Party27: :Party27: :Party27: :Party27: :Party27: :Party27: :Party27: :Party27: :Party27:

I was devastated when I heard the news....honest guv :wacko:

Hahaha Redrow Homes, go and find some other poor unfortunate club and take your hare brain scheme with you!

Adios Severnside (hopefully) but it aint over yet.

Come on Mr Lansdown, put this crazy idea to bed once and for all

Last time building at Severnside was proposed it was defeated on the bizarre grounds of safety.

The argument hinged on the danger to a big crowd of a plane crashing into one of the Avonmouth chemical works.

The passage of time has done nothing to make that argument seem any less ludicrous.

SO THE EDITOR SEEMS TO HAVE FORGOTTON "9-11".

But a major construction company is different. It's more than feasible that they will get stuck into the planning officers, councillors and real politicians and try push it through - hopefully.
Well Steve Webb MP for S.Glos is dead against it, as is most of the population of South Glos.

And not sure what you mean by Redrow getting "stuck into the planning officers" but I know a few of them and can't see them taking any notice whatsoever of the fact that "a major construction company" are involved. Thats not how it works I'm afraid.

Guest Yeovil_Shmovil

Severnside Planning Application Refusal?

You cant fill you current place and look how long you've sustained your consistency in the league for, what is it now top 10 finish for how many seasons? ^_^ :Hmm, yeah that's really funny Tarquin.:

Guest WillsbridgeRed

Oh go do one you muppet.

Why are you even posting here? You'll never be in our league in any shape or form.

Maybe you should be on your own forum talking about when you're going to manage 3 points next? Or maybe you should be enjoying this season because next season will see you relegated back to the depths you belong.

If you want to be like that...How many times have you bottled it now then? You  know your going straight back down.
I actually quite like yeovil , they play good football and have good fans , although you have showed your not one of them by coming on here and being a pr*ck , and if we went up we would get about 15000 average more than you can ever dream of getting , i also beleive our squad is capable of staying up in division one and with a couple of quality signings we would be a decent side , the gap between top of div 2 and div one is virtually nothing. Now get back to your own forum or the gas and wind them up. ^_^

Just something to repeat as it's probably been said before, since when has Easter Compton been called "Greater Bristol"?

Someone at EP (or indeed R£drow) needs to read a map, take an interview with both City and Rovers' fanships and see just exactly how many people are willing to travel 5-10 miles on public transport (har har) to see a football match.

Or did some bright spark at R£drow consider paying/coercing the fans of both clubs to move to their brand spanking new housing estates, away from urban areas to a rural area, compromise their daily routines and probably their finances, just to fund a brand new ground that -at best- will only be used once per week?

Oh, and did anyone from either EP OR R£drow consider the social implications of moving two of the biggest footballing rivals together in the same community? Could make Hartcliffe look like Hobbiton. ^_^

Probably been said before, but I'm repeating it to jog memories.

Calling an area something else is merely a tactic by whoever does it, similar to Estate Agents putting properties in one district into another in an attempt to sell them, for example St.Pauls becoming Montpellier or Southmead becoming Brentry. If estate agents are to be believed, certain districts do not exist anywhere, and they invent pretentious new districts like "Lower Clifton" which is on the SOUTH side of the river (Southville/Bemmy). What utter pompous b0110cz.

Personally I think the Severnside thing is impractical from a fans point and its certainly not Bristol. I'd also like to know what constitutes Greater Bristol, where its boundaries extend to..... and what indeed IS Greater Bristol???

Guest WillsbridgeRed

Greater Bristol I suppose would be Keynsham, Willsbridge, Longwell Green ect How some vilage a few miles out can be included defies belief

I'd also like to know what constitutes Greater Bristol, where its boundaries extend to..... and what indeed IS Greater Bristol???

Greater Bristol is not officially defined, it's just a term to describe the conurbation that surrounds the city. As Easter Compton is just north of Cribbs Causeway, I'd say it falls in Gtr Bristol.

But that's not really the point, to move to a location north of Bristol would be to undermine the tradition and destroy the heart and soul of the club in my opinion (and I speak as a citizen of the cosmopolitan Capital of the North that is Gloucester Road!). My regular treks to the Deep South have been part of my life since I was a kid and I wouldn't want it any other way, ta.

Archived