IGNORED

Tommy And Other Matters

graham b

It could be argued that it was about time that someone finally stood upto Doherty and made it very clear just whats expected at BCFC of the players and whats more the captain.

Doherty has been all over that place this season despite being captain.9 yellow cards almost all for offences of a petulant nature is simply unacceptable for the captain of any club.Whats more his self discipline off the pitch is dreadfull.He's been seen smoking fags and boozing and more recently been heard to be slagging Tinnion off in public.His performances this seson have been variable at best largely due to his poor fitness.

Its fair to say that Tommy is not the brightest light bulb in the box and but thats no excuse for his behaviour imo.

When Tinnion took the armband from him he reacted in the same way that he reacts to referee's when a decision goes against him - with a volley of abuse which BT was quite right to drop him for but publically saying that Tommy's head "was not in the right place".

I think BT has acted appropriately albeit just a bit too late.

It could be argued that it was about time that someone finally stood upto Doherty and made it very clear just whats expected at BCFC of the players and whats more the captain.

Doherty has been all over that place this season despite being captain.9 yellow cards almost all for offences of a petulant nature is simply unacceptable for the captain of any club.Whats more his self discipline off the pitch is dreadfull.He's been seen smoking fags and boozing and more recently been heard to be slagging Tinnion off in public.His performances this seson have been variable at best largely due to his poor fitness.

Its fair to say that Tommy is not the brightest light bulb in the box and but thats no excuse for his behaviour imo.

When Tinnion took the armband from him he reacted in the same way that he reacts to referee's when a decision goes against him - with a volley of abuse which BT was quite right to drop him for but publically saying that Tommy's head "was not in the right place".

I think BT has acted appropriately albeit just a bit too late.

Have to agree with Robbored on this one.

Tinnion got everyone in for a talk and said 98% of it was really positive but that there were afew things that needed sorting. Not a bad response in my opinion.

Tinnion and Coles both said that it was best for all concerned if he looked for a fresh challenge. Although later Coles did say he was shocked, but that may have been a commment made after speaking to an advisor. We'll never know.

Tinnion said Doherty had been relieved of the captaincy so he could concentrate on his football and getting himself right. He then said that Plymouth had approached him and he was allowing Doherty to talk to them, though if he wanted to stay and fight for his place then that was fine by him.

Nothing wrong with most of those statements. The manager had to say something when he changed his captain and hadto respond to an enquiry from another club about one of his players. Most of the other stuff about relationships and hislifestyle have been written on here haven't they? As apposed to coming out of the club.

Tinnion got everyone in for a talk and said 98% of it was really positive but that there were afew things that needed sorting. Not a bad response in my opinion.

Tinnion said Doherty had been relieved of the captaincy so he could concentrate on his football and getting himself right. He then said that Plymouth had approached him and he was allowing Doherty to talk to them, though if he wanted to stay and fight for his place then that was fine by him.

By my reckonings we have a squad of 20 or so players who are around the club at present. Of those 3 have been made available or been transferred since the 'talks'. Discounting others - Goodfellow, Wilkshire etc - this would be some 15% which would be hardly positive.

The article on the main site infers that Tinnion will be talking to Doherty on his return. In other words he has gone to the press before the talking to the player. Hardly good management.

Again with the one on ones. This was announced to the press before they happened. Surely this puts added tension to the interviews. Wouldn't it have been better to have had the interviews and then to have announced the outcomes to the press.

By my reckonings we have a squad of 20 or so players who are around the club at present. Of those 3 have been made available or been transferred since the 'talks'. Discounting others - Goodfellow, Wilkshire etc - this would be some 15% which would be hardly positive.

The article on the main site infers that Tinnion will be talking to Doherty on his return. In other words he has gone to the press before the talking to the player. Hardly good management.

Again with the one on ones. This was announced to the press before they happened. Surely this puts added tension to the interviews. Wouldn't it have been better to have had the interviews and then to have announced the outcomes to the press.

Have to agree Graham.

The saying goes that no player is bigger than a club.

Tinnion's actions are beginning to make him the 'first' manager than could be bigger than his club.!!!

The handling of Doc by DW had the effect, lets hope BT's style has a simular effect.Because if it dosn't we are firmly in the cack!

Maybe Tinnion thought it better to go to the press and be seen to be doing something? I'm sure he didn't want the Chairman to be getting involved and doing his job for him again. By going to the press it was left no doubt to everyone concerned that he meant business and the seriousness of the situation.

I'm not saying it was the right thing for a manager to do, only time will tell, but something HAD to be done. I'm sure he would have tried other ways to solve any problems before, but when push came to shove he had to show them who is actually boss.

As far as the players were concerned, surely they could have used the knowledge that they were going in for a one to one to their advantage? All they had to do was say the right things and get their eyes right! Fore warned is fore armed and all that? :whistle:

Have to agree Graham.

The saying goes that no player is bigger than a club.

Tinnion's actions are beginning to make him the 'first' manager than could be bigger than his club.!!!

The handling of Doc by DW had the effect, lets hope BT's style has a simular effect.Because if it dosn't we are firmly in the cack!

The substitution of potential and skill for desire.

Lets see if it works.

:whistle:

Again with the one on ones. This was announced to the press before they happened. Surely this puts added tension to the interviews. Wouldn't ot have beeen better to have had the interviews and then to have announced the outcomes to the press.

Butler can't be included. His transfer was for totally different reasons to Coles as was stated by player and club. Goodfellow didn't play at Hull but I wouldn't play him away from home either. So no surprise there. Brown played as he likes a tackle and did well so he's kept his place for tomorrow. Seems fair enough to me.

Wilkshire didn't play at Hull but having watched the game I'm not sure it was a game that would have suited him anyway. I was disappointed he didn't play but I am sure Tinnion rates him and that his attitude isn't a problem. The two who played did well and have kept their places but I still hope Wilkshire comes on for a decent amount of time and persuades Tinnion he doesn't have to be on the pitch for the team to show desire.

Yes there was an article saying he would seak to Tommy on Thursday. But how do you know Tinnion didn't talk to him before he left? Something like: "Tommy, Plymouth have asked about loaning you. I want you to stay but if you want to talk to them I won't stop you. Have a think and we'll talk when you get back."

In the mean time the press get hold of the story and ask Tinnion what's happening with Doherty. Tinnion says: "We've told him about the approach but he's wih Northern Ireland now so we'll talk about it when he gets back". Not particularly bad management.

Tinnion is passionate. Probably too much so sometimes. Especially as a contrast to Danny Wilson. But he came out after a shocking defeat and said he would be talking to them all about the lack of desire. They needed a rocket up their backsides and he implied he was going to sort it out. What is so unpalatable about that?

I agree that Tinnion is sometimes too outspoken but under DW all we heard was rubbish excuses as to why we played poorly so what would you prefer? I'm sure that Tinnion is finding just how hard it is being a manager of a club he is so passionate about.In a few years time (if hes still at the club) he may look back on his first season in management and cringe! Management is the hardest thing in any job but I'm sure he is more than capable of management be it at the gate or elsewhere.

Archived