IGNORED

Citys Most Successful Manager.

Maesknoll Red

• Admin

As he is the only one to take us to the top flight, it must be Alan Dicks. But if he was just starting out now, it seems unlikely that the majority of fans would be happy with the timescale.

Alan Dicks became Manager in Oct 1967, finishing 19th in his first season, it took another eight seasons with finishes of,16th, 14th, 19th, 8th, 16th, 5th and finally in 75/76 2nd - gaining promotion to division one.(Prem)

If Tinman was sacked or resigned (neither of which, IMHO, are imminent) how long would the next poor bugger to take the poisoned chalice get? If he was an experienced man - 2 months? 4 months?, what then if no instant improvement? sack him and start again? It took Wilson four years to nearly but not quite do it.

Whilst I am not advocating waiting eight years to get out of this division, now that Tinman has started the much needed shake up it will obviously take time to settle down and get some consistency back into the side.

The same would happen with a new manager, if there are, as is regularly reported on here, players with attitude problems, drink problems and a liking for the comfy club lifestyle, any new manager would still take time to start the club moving forward.

I also feel sorry for the Tinman, BCFC supporters rightly expect a higher level of football given the calibre of players at the club. The Tinman has taken over the helm after 6 consecutive seasons of poxy Div 3 equivalent football. All patience with Div 3 football has gone and the Tinman is expected to deliver a higher level of football almost immediately - Tinman must have known this when he took over.

Alan was not a new manager or player manager he was a succesful assisent manager at Coventry City, under Jimmy Hill, and we had a brillant chairman Harry Dolman.We had no academy, but brought young players from all parts of Bristol,Scotland wherever we could find them, and moulded them into one hell of a Team.

Alan was not a new manager or player manager he was a succesful assisent manager at Coventry City, under Jimmy Hill, and we had a brillant chairman Harry Dolman.We had no academy, but brought young players from all parts of Bristol,Scotland wherever we could find them, and moulded them into one hell of a Team.

Harry Dolman, a Londoner, also put a hell of a lot of his personal wealth into this club. Harry Dolman's money was the real key to our achieving promotion to the top flight in 1976.

but brought young players from all parts of Bristol,Scotland wherever we could find them, and moulded them into one hell of a Team. posted Roadrunner.

Very true, but don't forget Paul Cheesley from Gordano. Our scouts missed him (some things never change) which is why we had to sign him from Norwich.

On the plus side, I don't recall that many players wanting to leave City under Alan Dicks even when we were 19th. He managed for 13 years. In the 14 years that followed, City had seven managers.

Finally though; Schuthund, our best ever manager was surely Harry Thickett. Champions of Div 2, League runners up the following year and the FA Cup Final three years after that.

AD has to be the best manager simply for the fact that he led us to the top flight and kept us there for 4 seasons.

It is true that the board kept patience with him, and there was that dodgy season when we finished 19th and certainly Managers were given more time in those days.

But AD never operated outside of what is now the Premiership and the Championship, and we are talking about BCFC over a 14 year period before he was sacked ("Dicks Out!") after relegation from the top flight - in other words he was able to maintain and improve on 2nd tier football, which over the last 25 years we have struggled to break into (just 2 promotions and a total of 6 seasons in 2nd flight, two of them ending in relegation). And yet for most of his time he had little or no money but set up a scouting sytem which unearthed the likes of Gow, Whitehead, Ritchie, Garland, Fear, Cheesley, Tainton, Mabbutt etc etc as well as some brilliant bargains such as Galley, Gillies, Sweeney and who could forget him paying just £40,000 for Norman Hunter.

Looking back I started watching City in 1965 after they had just been promoted and I never saw us play in this poxy division until 1981. Since the financial crisis of 1982 the 3rd tier seems to be our natural level with the ultimate ambition to get promoted and hold our own in the 2nd tier, wheras, before the early 80s we were a team naturally aligned to the 2nd tier with ambitions/dreams of playing in the top flight - and for achieving that dream AD must be the best Manager that I have known at the gate.

One thing I must add, in case some of the younger fans think that those days were a non-stop happy-clappy footie-fest, we still had plenty to moan about, team selection, tactics, motivation etc.

It just seemed more fun coming away from AG complaining that we had only drawn 1-1 with Man U or only beaten a poor Chelsea team 3-1on a cold tuesday night.

• Admin
One thing I must add, in case some of the younger fans think that those days were a non-stop happy-clappy footie-fest, we still had plenty to moan about, team selection, tactics, motivation etc.

It just seemed more fun coming away from AG complaining that we had only drawn 1-1 with Man U or only beaten a poor Chelsea team 3-1on a cold tuesday night.

It seems unlikely that we wil ever play them in the league again, the gap between the top few and the also rans seems to grow weekly. The most frustrating thing is that City should be at least a division 2 (Championship/whatever) team.

Strictly speaking the most successful manager City ever had was Gerry Sweeny who had a 100% record: played 1, won 1 (crewe I think).

The best manager was Sir Alan Dicks-out for putting together such a solid team. That team would wipe the floor with the current team, even with the difference in style now compared with 1970s.

The best manager we NEVER had has to be David Moyes :) Other suggestions?

The most heroic manager we had is, imo, Terry Cooper

I remember being down the Gate with a mate of mine just after our first ever Div 4 season kicked off. Not long after kick-off one of the players did something cr4p and my mate just said 'pitiful' and left! That was when we had that Bristol University Geography undergrad playing for us to make up the numbers - you think we have it bad now :unsure:

Strictly speaking the most successful manager City ever had was Gerry Sweeny who had a 100% record: played 1, won 1 (crewe I think).

The best manager was Sir Alan Dicks-out for putting together such a solid team. That team would wipe the floor with the current team, even with the difference in style now compared with 1970s.

The best manager we NEVER had has to be David Moyes  :)  Other suggestions?

The most heroic manager we had is, imo, Terry Cooper

I remember being down the Gate with a mate of mine just after our first ever Div 4 season kicked off.  Not long after kick-off one of the players did something cr4p and my mate just said 'pitiful' and left! That was when we had that Bristol University Geography undergrad playing for us to make up the numbers - you think we have it bad now  :unsure:

Best Manager never had.Certainly Moyes would have been a fantastic acquisition,seems to have the capability to get the best out of his troops coupled with a very strong & disciplined resolve.Another who also just missed out was Joe Royle, he's proved himself good enough to have managed teams above our station for the best part of his career.Another who I think would have achieved more for us is Bobby Gould.Sadly the myopic majority would have made his arrival far from comfortable!

Terry Cooper......Now there's a man who we could bring in to help give Tins a bit of guidance. Is he still at Southampton following 'appy 'arry's appointment? Great coach, been on the circuit for years scouting players, and still recommends players to the club (can't think who, but I seem to remember this quite recently...Wilkshire perhaps?), so still presumably holds us close to his heart... At the end of the day Tins doesn't need sacking, he needs help, and this could be just the guy to give it.

during my time watching the team I would rate the managers as follows:

1. Dicks

2. Cooper

3. Jordan (first time around)

4. John Ward

5. The gang of 3

6. Wilson

The rest rank nowhere - Osman, Pulis, Benny, Jordan second time, Houghton, Hodgson, now Tinman. The club seem to pick a good manager 50% of the time - sad.

Well_Red

Guest ashtonyate
during my time watching the team I would rate the managers as follows:

1. Dicks

2. Cooper

3. Jordan (first time around)

4. John Ward

5. The gang of 3

6. Wilson

The rest rank nowhere - Osman, Pulis, Benny, Jordan second time, Houghton, Hodgson, now Tinman. The club seem to pick a good manager 50% of the time - sad.

Well_Red

Its not always the manager fault, some time outside things make it impossable for a manager to get it right in the short term like lack of money inherit a poor squad of players.Most Manager can get it right long term the trouble with City was Wilson had time and money to get us promoted but made some bad buys and we are back at square one. Tinnion will get it right long term its whether he will be given time to do the job by the fans.

Its not always the manager fault, some time outside things make it impossable for a manager to get it right in the short term like lack of money inherit a poor squad of players.Most Manager can get it right long term the trouble with City was Wilson had time and money to get us promoted but made some bad buys and we are back at square one. Tinnion will get it right long term its whether he will be given time to do the job by the fans.

I hope you're right - it's clear he is going to get another season to sort it out next year anyway.

Guest MaloneFM
I remember being down the Gate with a mate of mine just after our first ever Div 4 season kicked off.  Not long after kick-off one of the players did something cr4p and my mate just said 'pitiful' and left! That was when we had that Bristol University Geography undergrad playing for us to make up the numbers - you think we have it bad now  :D

and the undergrad went on to score the winner to knock the then all conquering Gas out of the fa cup. Your mate went home at the wrong time.

God bless you Martin Hurst wherever you are :(

Archived