IGNORED

The Life Of Brian

whooosh

When Brian Tinnion looks you in the eye and affirms his total commitment to Bristol City, he does so in a manner that brooks no contradiction. Failure is not a term that finds inclusion in his lexicon and he dares not entertain negative thoughts.

Tinnion, you see, is a man on a mission, his task to deliver the red half of Bristol from the cloying mediocrity of League One.

There is barely a waking moment when City's manager is not driven by an all-consuming desire to succeed where others have fallen short in pursuit of the Holy Grail that is promotion to the Championship.

Anyone who doubts his sincerity should put themselves in my position, seated opposite Tinnion in his office. His chair is an imposing affair, high backed and plush. Mine is rather more modest. Point made. I know my place.

I cannot help thinking to myself, this is the same seat occupied only last week by a succession of Bristol City players, all summoned to meet the boss in a one-on-one private conference. This situation is fundamentally different. Having been granted an audience, I am the one charged with the task of asking the questions and steering the debate.

Yet the message is identical to that delivered with chilling finality to his players just a few days before. Tinnion talks of commitment, desire, determination and hard work; these are his watchwords and, taken collectively, they form his credo.

In short, Tinnion is attempting nothing less than a complete overhaul of the presiding culture at Ashton Gate. For those who do not share his vision, the future is laced with uncertainty.

Tommy Doherty was stripped of the captaincy and relegated to the reserves when he did not buy wholeheartedly into the manager's ethos. Danny Coles, regarded as one of the club's shining lights, was transfer-listed.

Others, Mickey Bell among them, have yet to convince Tinnion they are worth a new contract when the season finally expires. The message is unmistakable: toe the line and put your own house in order, or ship out.

No mere artisan on the pitch, Tinnion is a player cast in the creative mould, touch, vision and a cultured left foot the tools of his trade. This impression of Tinnion the footballer does not rest comfortably alongside the ruthless streak he is now demonstrating in management.

But then this 36-year-old Geordie is proving a quick learner. He has already gleaned sufficient insight to appreciate the debilitating effect of a staff pulling in different directions. Hence the decision to stamp his authority and confront renegade influences head on.

He concedes: "If I'm honest, I could have acted a bit earlier. These problems have existed for a long time. How do I know that? I've heard people talk about them in the past."

In a clear reference to the previous regime, he adds: "Others have wanted to do something about it, but haven't. I'm not prepared to sit back and do nothing - I want to be successful and I want this football club to succeed as well."

When justifying his actions to a stunned media, Tinnion made reference to the comfort zone inhabited by certain members of his first team squad.

He explains: "There are players here who don't fully appreciate how lucky they are. Just ask Paul Heffernan and Steve Brooker. They've come from Notts County and Port Vale and they realise how well players are treated here.

"Leaving home has forced them to stand on their own two feet and appreciate what they have. Others have been here so long, they know nothing else and take it for granted.

"Players ought to strive all the time to improve themselves, but sometimes they think they're okay where they are, that they can get away without doing more. That's when they stop pushing the limits and that's what I mean by a comfort zone."

Anticipating my next question, his voice rises and he protests: "I've never been one of the top earners and, even though I've been here 12 years, I've never been in a moneyed comfort zone. I come from Newcastle and I've always appreciated what this club has done for me."

Suddenly the Ashton Gate environment is not quite so cosy. Tinnion adds: "I want players to have desire, to work hard throughout the week and to show total commitment to the cause. It's an attitude of mind and it's a winning attitude."

Having imparted his message to the senior players, Tinnion then interviewed his entire Academy playing staff, leaving them in no doubt as to what was required of them.

He says: "It's important to learn the right way of going about things at an early age.

"They are the next generation and we don't want the same problems when they come to play in the first team.

"I reminded them that they needed to train properly, eat properly, look after themselves and want to die to play for the first team."

Quite simply, there is no substitute for a healthy work ethic and ability alone is no guarantee of success. Tinnion should know; he emerged from the ranks at Newcastle United alongside Paul Gascoigne, arguably the most notorious flawed footballing genius of his generation.

"It is not always ability that makes a good player. There are other pre-requisites. You have to make sacrifices if you want to be a professional footballer. It means saying no to your mates on a Thursday or Friday night. It means taking proper care of yourself and making sure you are ready to perform at your very best when you go to work."

Anything less than strict adherence to these basic tenets will in future be viewed as a breach of duty, and by implication, a challenge to the manager's authority.

City chairman Steve Lansdown has been vocal in his support of Tinnion and correspondingly prominent on the back pages in recent weeks. Privately, he will no doubt have whispered his concerns in the manager's ear.

Tinnion is no fool: he realises the honeymoon period is at an end and that he will henceforth be judged on results. But he has at least shown a refreshing willingness to deal with the twin evils of dressing room cliques and insidious agents.

How could he do otherwise following defeat at home to Chesterfield the other week? Booed off the pitch, Tinnion and his players bore the brunt of a frustration that had simmered ominously since City's ignominious failure in last season's play-off final.

Subjected to enraged invective, he was forced to respond, not least because of the telling nature of the questions raised by more astute supporters. Why were so many players performing below their best? Was this evidence of a dressing room split? How did the manager propose rectifying the situation? Was he the right man for the job?

A pragmatic Geordie, Tinnion has broad shoulders and does not shy away from criticism. He insists: "It serves to make me stronger. I suppose it's because I'm stubborn and have a cussed streak. Whatever it is, criticism has always made me more determined to succeed at whatever it is I'm doing.

"No-one likes to be booed when they walk off the pitch and things can go one of two ways when that happens. You can either go under, or you can stick out your chest, hold your head high and get on with it."

Raised and nurtured in the school of hard knocks at Newcastle, Tinnion recalls playing under first Jack Charlton and then Jim Smith. Both hard taskmasters, they had a profound influence upon the emerging player.

"Jack Charlton was my first manager and I was only 16. He wouldn't take any nonsense, but he got things done. I was in awe of him.

"You cannot help but listen to and learn from people like him. Jim Smith was another tough character and he never shirked responsibility. He took a lot of tough decisions at St James' Park, even if they made him unpopular. As far as he was concerned, he was acting in the best interests of the football club."

One of his decisions involved signing former England left-back Kenny Sansom and selling Tinnion to Bradford City. "I didn't want to go, but he made his mind up and was honest about it. I didn't like it at the time, but I respected Jim Smith for his honesty."

Hindsight is a wonderful quality and Tinnion is now better able to appreciate the problems that confronted Charlton and Smith all those years ago.

Breaking into a rare smile, he says: "When I became a manager last year, it was like joining a special club. I spoke to other managers and they all said: "Welcome. Now you're in the real world."

He adds: "I've become quite friendly with Steve Bruce at Birmingham and I phone him and chat from time to time. I couldn't believe it - here was this big man, who had played centre half for Man United, and he was feeling the same things I was. He's under the same pressures, worries about the same things. It helps when you're all in the same boat together."

No sooner had Tinnion been appointed to succeed Danny Wilson than perplexed supporters and uncharitable commentators were suggesting the move had been driven by financial expediency. It is a point of view that irks Tinnion.

He reveals: "I worked very hard to put myself in a position where I could become manager and I look upon it as a privileged position. It disappoints me when people describe me as a cheap option. I aim to make a success of this club and I'll repay the chairman for the faith he has shown in me."

No-one is disputing the size of the task facing the new manager. Quite apart from any internal strife, he has also to contend with the expectations of a fan base that demands promotion.

If City's fate remains in doubt, there are mitigating circumstances. Tinnion recalls: "The whole club was desperately in need of a lift after the play-off final. I don't think people realise how big a lull there was after losing to Brighton.

"Danny left, some of the players followed and there was a sense of doom and gloom about the place.

"I had to put that right and make decision upon what I was seeing. We had been so close to promotion so often, that even the players began to doubt we could achieve it. When you see that happening, you have to act.

"Only three of the side that started the play-off final were in the side at Hull last week. It's virtually a new team."

And more changes, it seems, are on the way. "We need fresh faces, fresh influences and a fresh outlook. That's all part of establishing a winning culture."

If some City supporters remain sceptical, Tinnion at least has the unwavering support of his wife, Kathryn.

"You need the people who are close to you to believe in you and she's been an absolute rock since I took this job on," says Tinnion. "Kathryn is five months pregnant and she always features very high on my list of priorities.

"But she gives me a lot of support as well and she's been to every home game and about 10 away games already this season. You need that kind of back-up when you take on a job like this."

Family commitments notwithstanding, Tinnion's mind is never far from the job.

He says: "This is my biggest challenge so far and it occupies me 24 hours a day, seven days a week. As soon as the final whistle sounded Walsall on Friday, I was thinking about the Colchester game. I wanted to discover their strengths and weaknesses, study the videos and think about my strategy for the game. It's never out of my mind."

Before we part company, he issues me with a firm reminder. Eager to reiterate the point, he insists: "I'm determined to make a success of this job and winning promotion is my goal.

"I know there are people who want me to fail as manager of Bristol City. But I won't allow them to deflect me. I won't allow things to become personal, because it's a job and decisions have to be made.

"But if people don't respect those decisions and don't share my desire to succeed, they won't be here next season."

Enough said

But then this 36-year-old Geordie is proving a quick learner. He has already gleaned sufficient insight to appreciate the debilitating effect of a staff pulling in different directions. Hence the decision to stamp his authority and confront renegade influences head on.

Liverpool's dressing room during the 70's/80's was notorious for its cliques and renegade players, they won nine titles and several european cups. The only time it would have been a problem to the boot room is if it showed on the pitch.

"It is not always ability that makes a good player. There are other pre-requisites. You have to make sacrifices if you want to be a professional footballer. It means saying no to your mates on a Thursday or Friday night. It means taking proper care of yourself and making sure you are ready to perform at your very best when you go to work."

Can't argue with a lot of that but, Wilkshire is the fittest player in the club and can't get a game. It may not always be ability, but players have to have some otherwise we may as well pick some rugby players they're dead fit aren't they?

"But if people don't respect those decisions and don't share my desire to succeed, they won't be here next season."

Could be a lonely old dressing room Brian and a very quiet reception from the empty terraces as you wander out on to the pitch.

Guest ashtonyate

Hollaway was a committed manager for the Gas he nearly put them into non league football.Its ok being committed but you still need to be able to stand back and think what you are doing I think Tinnion needs a older helper to help him at the moment I was going to say Russel Osmond but he could become manager here or at the Mem prehaps bobby Gould might be a short term bet.

Guest MaloneFM
Hollaway was a committed manager for the Gas he nearly put them into non league football.

Holloway was a comitted manager and he nearly got them up as champions but he was cut to shreads by Dunceford and Boysie Bradshaw the following season. They sold all the players to cut the wage bill.

He is now in charge of a top ten 1st division side that HE got up. As far as old Rog is concerned Holloway is no longer the villain he once was

Guest TinmansCulturedLeftPeg

People seem to forget that Brian gained his UEFA 'A' badges in coaching all of six years ago! and he was actually the manager of our academy U15's,so he was managing against the likes of Arsenal and Chelsea every week....

People also seem to forget that at one point five years ago,he was the favourite for the first-team managers job before Danny Wilson came into the frame....

Brian's participation in coaching youngsters at the club goes all the way back to the Joe Jordan days! It was Tinnion's adept footballing eye that suggested Jim Brennan should switch from striker to left-back (at the time,Brennan was about to be told that he had no future in the game)....

People seem to forget that Brian gained his UEFA 'A' badges in coaching all of six years ago! and he was actually the manager of our academy U15's,so he was managing against the likes of Arsenal and Chelsea every week....

People also seem to forget that at one point five years ago,he was the favourite for the first-team managers job before Danny Wilson came into the frame....

Brian's participation in coaching youngsters at the club goes all the way back to the Joe Jordan days! It was Tinnion's adept footballing eye that suggested Jim Brennan should switch from striker to left-back (at the time,Brennan was about to be told that he had no future in the game)....

All fair comment, and interesting to see that not just the fans see that bloody comfort zone at last, but aint no action to back up the words yet. I beleive Tinman is doing the right thing taking on these bloody idle precious players, but he HAS to do the biz on the pitch. If we played well and lost, there would probably less unrest, but we aint, and there is. Hollowheads example shouldnt be forgotten, which I fear it may do.

Still favour him going on balance. need persuading otherwise to say the least, because of the dire performances on the pitch, at home. :D

This man certainly seems to have the inside track on academy information.

I am sure Red Un (Bright Cider Life) would like to know your source!

Under 15 Academy Manager? I never knew that.

Guest hairyshamrock
People seem to forget that Brian gained his UEFA 'A' badges in coaching all of six years ago!

I did this through the back door with the Welsh FA - a high standard association i hear you cry

and he was actually the manager of our academy U15's,so he was managing against the likes of Arsenal and Chelsea every week....

As highlighted in the news this week, how many youngsters have they actually had go through to their first teams in the last 3 years?

I think we can also look at the mannerisms of the dour geordie and ask - could that drawn, pale face and dulcet tone geordie accent motivate you to go out and do anything apart from search for the number for the Samaritans?

This man certainly seems to have the inside track on academy information.

I am sure Red Un (Bright Cider Life) would like to know your source!

Under 15 Academy Manager?  I never knew that.

OK, I need re-educating again!

When was Tinnion u15 manager?

Before this season I thought it was John Clayton.

All the things he says make sense of course, but when thrust into management perhaps the easiest course is to take the 'iron fist' route.

It is altogether a more difficult thing to achieve a sense of co-operation and progression by encouragement rather than ceaseless threats, which are made hollow by the fact he fails to play Wilkshire & consistantly lets Murray get a first team berth.

The players in the comfort zone he refers to, did they include Butler? who up to the point he was booted out/moved on/eased away was being praised for his total professional attitude.

Firstly we are reading a magazine article, woven and spun from a conversation with BT, it doesn't make good copy to just print a conversation verbatim so embellish it a bit (or if you work at the EP - fictionalise the whole thing

If BT actually believes in this approach, we're in for a long and bleak spell.

It's a bit like Tony Pulis, but without the humour.

:D

Firstly we are reading a magazine article, woven and spun from a conversation with BT, it doesn't make good copy to just print a conversation verbatim so embellish it a bit (or if you work at the EP - fictionalise the whole thing

I also found thi part interesting.

"These problems have existed for a long time. How do I know that? I've heard people talk about them in the past."

Was he really so far removed from the "problem" as a player that he had to hear about it from others?

I remember him being subbed last season when DW had asked him to play left midfield, and he had obviously decide he was going to play in the middle. Whether DW was right or not it was a show of dissent that smacks of the kind of attitude he is now so worried about.

The players in the comfort zone he refers to, did they include Butler? who up to the point he was booted out/moved on/eased away was being praised for his total professional attitude.

It's my understanding that BT never had a problem with Tony Butler, who was an exemplary professional. But his contract was up at the end of this season and wasn't going to be renewed. BT wanted him to stay til the end of the season, but as a reward for his loyalty and service to the club, he told Butler he wouldn't stand in his way if he could get himself a longer-term deal elsewhere. Which Butler duly did. He wasn't booted out, moved on or eased away - just a manager giving a helping hand to a loyal pro who was looking to extend his career and move closer to his family.

It's my understanding that BT never had a problem with Tony Butler, who was an exemplary professional. But his contract was up at the end of this season and wasn't going to be renewed. BT wanted him to stay til the end of the season, but as a reward for his loyalty and service to the club, he told Butler he wouldn't stand in his way if he could get himself a longer-term deal elsewhere. Which Butler duly did. He wasn't booted out, moved on or eased away - just a manager giving a helping hand to a loyal pro who was looking to extend his career and move closer to his family.

I agree on your points, but it seems a bit cack handed at a time when your playing staff is somewhat upset and prone to temper tantrums! (DC) to let one of the more stable 'pros' out the door.

surely it would be better to build on the stability that TB might offer to the younger players?

just a thought. At the moment I'm confused by most of the things that BT attempts. we seem to stumble along from problem to problem at the moment.

allied to our appalling run of form it doesn't help.

I agree on your points, but it seems a bit cack handed at a time when your playing staff is somewhat upset and prone to temper tantrums! (DC) to let one of the more stable 'pros' out the door.

surely it would be better to build on the stability that TB might offer to the younger players?

just a thought. At the moment I'm confused by most of the things that BT attempts. we seem to stumble along from problem to problem at the moment.

allied to our appalling run of form it doesn't help.

Yep,it was thought that DW had issues on & off the pitch, but Tinnion is proving a master at plunging from one problem to another.

No doubt there are issues within the squad & I still think unfair to lay all the 'so called' blame on the players.

Archived